Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since buying the XSE Commander I have had the itch to get another 1911(you can never have to many) and was thinking about a 9mm commander model. Question is, anyone have one? How do you like it? Noticebly less recoile than the .45?

My wife has been asking recently about getting her permit and she has shot my .45's and wasn't very fond of them so I figure the 9mm would be a little more tame for her, and it would give me a reason to get another 1911 :biggrin: (like I said before you can never have to many)

I was thinking about a old school 70 series 9mm commander, but they are hard to come by, but I shall keep my eyes open for one.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I love your way of thinking, you can never have to many 1911's.

The 9mm in a 1911 is a great gun and yes is much less recoil or snap than a .45, with the right HP load they are also very effective for a defense gun too. Problem is as you said they are hard to come by but would be an enjoyable gun for your wife to shot. Keep looking one will show up.

Ti.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I have a series 70 Lightweight Commander in 9MM and a 38 Super barrel to interchange with. The gun runs SUPER in either caliber. I remember buying the setup for 199.00 (under 200 bucks) in 1980. I never got rid of it, because it was a great setup for a pistol. :biggrin:
Here's one where I work part time........
http://ktp.com/
92901 COLT COMBAT COMMANDE HANDGUN: PISTOL 9MM LUGER $650.00 BLUED, SERIES 80,4.25in.,W/BOX 97%

It's still there in the case if anybody wants it. :biggrin: I can send you a pic of it, or post it on Tuesday night :biggrin:

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bud White said:
Never shot one in 9mm but a 38 super in a 1911 is nice shooting
I would go for a 38 super, just haven't seen one in a commander model. After I bought the XSE I am hooked on the commander models, I like them 10 fold better than the full size, was even thinking about selling my SA Mill-Spec full size to fund the new commander.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
A whole lotta fun in either caliber, with very little recoil too

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ti Carry said:
I love your way of thinking, you can never have to many 1911's.
Ti.
I am the Forums 1911 junkie, I even have JMB's 1911 blueprint hanging on the celing in my bedroom(so I get the best of Both worlds :banana: :biggrin: )

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I think we have/had a Kimber in 38 super also.......gotta check tomorrow night for sure

·
Banned
303 Posts
I know Para-Ordnance makes the new Hawg 9. Shorter barrel but looks like a great gun.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
ya know what's pretty cool too...Detonics is also making the Combat Master Series in 38 Super too

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
38 Super <------------lotta Zip with no felt recoil......
Try it......you'll liiiiiiiiike it

·
Super Moderator
22,002 Posts
Bruces45 said:
I am the Forums 1911 junkie, I even have JMB's 1911 blueprint hanging on the celing in my bedroom(so I get the best of Both worlds :banana: :biggrin: )
You're not alone. :wink:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Non junkie here - just ''enthusiast" :smile:

Leaving aside the actual 9mm platform version - suffice to say that 9mm is certainly that bit more controllable plus the capacity bonus.

To be honest - tho it ain't a 1911 - the BHP is an excellent platform IMO and of course JMB's creation. That is certainly a gun I like immensely and probably has top spot for me in SA 9mm.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Bruce,
I have the STI BLS (x2), in 9mm, and am very pleased. However.
It is a 9mm on the 1911 basic frame. Two OTB things to watch for:
1) The BLS uses a dual spring recoil system that (initially) is stout.
2) I had numerous failures to feed, that I was able to track down to #1, and to a "snug" chamber. There were no visible imperfections, however, while hand-cycling the pistol, the cartridges would all snag at the same point, feeding into the chamber. I used a Dremel, felt bob, and a slurry of #120 grit AlOx and cutting oil, followed by 600 grit fine lapping compound to get a finish that is blinding, with a bore-light.

#1 I solved by leaving the slide locked back, in the case for a week. :biggrin:

I've had no problems since, but I want 300 through each gun, in one session, with no probs, before they're "certified".

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Bruce? I'm searching in the Showcase for a nice 1911 for you ...LOL......
I'll find one that will match what you want LOL...

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CLASS3NH said:
Bruce? I'm searching in the Showcase for a nice 1911 for you ...LOL......
I'll find one that will match what you want LOL...
I want another Colt, so if ya have one laying around in that big case of 1911's PM me the details. I also want the commander model.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Bruces45 said:
I want another Colt, so if ya have one laying around in that big case of 1911's PM me the details. I also want the commander model.
Ohhhhhhhh :biggrin: I'll find one that's gonna fit your needs.. :biggrin: I think we have one, although it's not listed on the web site....I''ll check on it Thursday night......... :biggrin: If it's there, I'll take a pic of it and PM you.. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts