Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a decent 1911 in a .40? I have been looking in gunbroker and the like, and cannot find one. Does it exist? Sorry for a possible stupid question, but im not much of a 1911 guy...yet. :yup:

EDIT: Why do I want it in a .40 and not a .45? I have access to lots and lots of .40 ammo...seemed like a good reason to me.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Colt made the Defender in 40 for one year I believe. I have one, very nice.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Springfield, Kimber, Dan Wesson, STI, Fusion. Lots of Options. You could even custom make your own if you want.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Springfield EMP in .40 is a nice one. I have one and, though expensive, it is worth it.
I was looking at them online. I like the looks, but I have found several reviews listing problems. Then again, im not sure how old those threads and reviews are.

Whats the capacity of the clips on the EMP?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also looking at a 1911 by kimber in .40 cal, I like to keep my calibers the same. It's the ultra carry II but MY gun shop says they make very few of them in .40 but they can order one for me, a late chrismas present for myself!:image035: Here is a picture
Kimber Ultra Carry Compact Pistol Reviews Forum and Reference Guide
Thats a good looking gun :yup:. I noticed the $800 price tag, but im guessing that is the entry level model. Curious what that guy paid for the Raptor version.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I had BARSTO make me a barrel for my Delta Elite because I had a source for 40 cal ammo. Then end ended up getting a Glock 22 while looking a another gun.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had BARSTO make me a barrel for my Delta Elite because I had a source for 40 cal ammo. Then end ended up getting a Glock 22 while looking a another gun.
I started this whole adventure looking solidly at the G23. But after reading a post that JD put up in a thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/reference-how-forum/35227-cocked-locked-carry-dangerous-very-good-response-question.html, I decided to look at the 1911. Here is the quote that got me heading in that direction (and thanks JD)

Another interesting “safety feature” of the M1911 was first observed by Massad Ayoob. In the event that a bad guy might get your gun away from you, confusion about the controls of the cocked and locked M1911 could cause him enough hesitation to give you a chance to either get the gun back or flee. The current generation of thugs have cut their teeth on double action semi-autos and revolvers and many do not know how the M1911 operates. Ayoob tested this with people who were unfamiliar with pistols by giving them unloaded pistols of various designs and measuring how long it took them to figure out the controls and make the hammer drop. The M1911 proved to be considerably slower to fire than double action guns in the hands of those who are unfamiliar with the gun.
That might just give you/me the slight edge we need in a bad situation. It actually makes more sense than anything I have read regarding gun selection. Most BG's have played with the Glock/Sig/M&P ect. Makes sense to me. :yup:

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
I started this whole adventure looking solidly at the G23. But after reading a post that JD put up in a thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/reference-how-forum/35227-cocked-locked-carry-dangerous-very-good-response-question.html, I decided to look at the 1911. Here is the quote that got me heading in that direction (and thanks JD)

That might just give you/me the slight edge we need in a bad situation. It actually makes more sense than anything I have read regarding gun selection. Most BG's have played with the Glock/Sig/M&P ect. Makes sense to me. :yup:
Well, if you started off looking at polymer, be advised that the Smith&Wesson M&P is available with a thumb safety and will come in way under in cost than a "proper" 1911 in .40.

Oh, regarding the Kimbers in .40, stay away from them, VERY far away from them. The two worst Kimbers I had were .40s.:9:

Colt used to make 1911s in .40, but they do not at make them anymore. I've seen the Defender and Gov't model in .40, but never a Colt Commander (doesn't mean that there isn't one, just that it's up there with the white buffalo in terms of rarity) in .40.

My first handgun was a Para P16-40 and before Para narrowed down their selection you could get a double stack .40 in all three sizes.

Oh, all thanks for that article should go to SlimJim who originally posted it here, I'm not sure where he found it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, if you started off looking at polymer, be advised that the Smith&Wesson M&P is available with a thumb safety and will come in way under in cost than a "proper" 1911 in .40.

Oh, regarding the Kimbers in .40, stay away from them, VERY far away from them. The two worst Kimbers I had were .40s.:9:

Colt used to make 1911s in .40, but they do not at make them anymore. I've seen the Defender and Gov't model in .40, but never a Colt Commander (doesn't mean that there isn't one, just that it's up there with the white buffalo in terms of rarity) in .40.

My first handgun was a Para P16-40 and before Para narrowed down their selection you could get a double stack .40 in all three sizes.

Oh, all thanks for that article should go to SlimJim who originally posted it here, I'm not sure where he found it.
Sorry, ment to mention that you re-posted the article :blink:

OK, so the 1911 in the flavor of a .40 will be a limited choice is what I am finding out. So if I were to go with a .45 in a compact weapon, would you recommend the Para Warthog?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I almost bought one of the Springfield EMPs when I got my Kimber. It was in 40, and appeared to be a fine piece of equipment. I especially liked the integral feed ramp. I did not like the seriously high amount of pressure needed to rack the slide.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
1911 in a .40 cal??

Mine is a Para 16-40 with a Schumann match barrel inletted .1 inch, reworked ejector, magwell and stippiling on the front of the grip. Magazines hold 19 rounds each and are loaded to 10MM lengths. Regular .40 cal will chamber nicely, but my .40Cal loads will not chamber in your gun.

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
Sorry, ment to mention that you re-posted the article :blink:

OK, so the 1911 in the flavor of a .40 will be a limited choice is what I am finding out. So if I were to go with a .45 in a compact weapon, would you recommend the Para Warthog?
Not really...:gah: I had one, one of the 1st run NiteHawgs. If you go the Para route, go stainless as the ParaKote finish doesn't hold up well. In all honesty, IF I were going the small .45 route I'd go with the Glock 30SF or a Sig 220 Compact. Personally, I prefer a fuller grip as I don't like my fingers hanging over the mag and the Hawg grip is even shorter than a standard 3" 1911 if I'm not mistaken by about .25". I'm not overly fond of 3" 1911s in general but there are some nice options out there. If you want a double stack micro 1911, the WartHawg is about it....I think that Charles Daly is coming out with a poly 1911, I'll double check.

Another drawback for the Paras are that the mags are just too dang expensive with the average price being around $50.

My NiteHawg shot OK and functioned well, especially for a 3" 1911, but it just didn't carry well for me, but that was before I really caught on with having the right belt and holster. Had I had a better belt and a holster with some added mass at the bottom (Similar to THIS one) it probably would have carried better. It's a very top heavy gun when on the belt as there isn't enough slide to counter the weight of the gun's butt.

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
OK, Charles Daly is coming out (may all ready be available, I don't know for sure) with a polymer line of 1911s using frames from BUL (think Kimber Ultra10 II)

But I don't think I would buy one. Call me a gun snob, but with an MSRP of $759 and only one mag, you can get better than a Charles Daly.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, Charles Daly is coming out (may all ready be available, I don't know for sure) with a polymer line of 1911s using frames from BUL (think Kimber Ultra10 II)

But I don't think I would buy one. Call me a gun snob, but with an MSRP of $759 and only one mag, you can get better than a Charles Daly.
Something is telling me that would be one snappy pistola. :gah:

·
Registered
431 Posts
heck yeah it would

1 - 20 of 21 Posts