Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question but I’m thinking about getting a commander model 1911 45, will my full size government model mags fit the commander frame flush? Haven’t narrowed down which commander I want, just curious if I’ll have to buy all new mags for it or if my mecgar and colt full size 7 round mags will fit?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Silly question but I’m thinking about getting a commander model 1911 45, will my full size government model mags fit the commander frame flush? Haven’t narrowed down which commander I want, just curious if I’ll have to buy all new mags for it or if my mecgar and colt full size 7 round mags will fit?
Yes they will work. But you are not really accomplishing anything unless you get a LW Commander.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I’ve been taking looks at the ruger and Remington lightweight models. Grip and all is the same, just the uppers is shorter correct?
If it’s a true Commander. Other makers may make their own variations in to their 1911 copies, but as long as it is a true copy of the Colt Commander, then the Gov Model mags will be a perfect fit.

·
Administrator
143,343 Posts
You should also buy at least one high quality extended magazine which will (of course) not fit flush at all but, the extra available rounds could prove very useful in some scenarios.

A 10 round CobraMag from Tripp Research makes for a great extra/spare magazine.

SUPER high quality but not cheap. (about $40.00) & worth every penny.:yup:

I made my own leather belt pouch for one.

Tripp Research makes some of the highest quality 1911 mags on the planet. :king:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it’s a true Commander. Other makers may make their own variations in to their 1911 copies, but as long as it is a true copy of the Colt Commander, then the Gov Model mags will be a perfect fit.
Correct - "Commander" length is 4" to 4-1/4" barrel with appropriately shortened slide & dust cover.

Both the full-size and Commander-length guns use the same magazines.
Prolly what I’ll do to be certain is before buying I’ll bring my full size mags and some snap caps and do a little function testing, just thought of that. Atleast I’ll have somewhat of an idea

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should also buy at least one high quality extended magazine which will (of course) not fit flush at all but, the extra available rounds could prove very useful in some scenarios.

Tripp Research makes some of the highest quality 1911 mags on the planet. :king:
I’ll have to look into those. I’ve been using factory colt and mec-gar for my gov models. Just standard capacity thus far.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I’ll have to look into those. I’ve been using factory colt and mec-gar for my gov models. Just standard capacity thus far.
Colt doesn’t make their own magazines. They are made by whoever they are contracting to at the time. At this time, I think @OD* told me that Metalform was making Colts mags. I just bought some and so far they seem to work very well.

Wilson 47’s are also very good quality.

·
Super Moderator
21,909 Posts
Colt doesn’t make their own magazines. They are made by whoever they are contracting to at the time. At this time, I think @OD* told me that Metalform was making Colts mags. I just bought some and so far they seem to work very well.

Check-Mate has been making them for Colt the last several years, at least my last few Colt's came with them. It's quite possible Colt is purchasing from both companies currently. The last Colt I bought that came with Metalform's was a 2005 GM.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What’s some good sources for the best prices for Tripp research mags? Never used any of them before

And some good sources for best prices for the 47’s? I like to use eBay, but I’m also Leary of fakes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts