Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have Chip McCormick also, and Sig's, and Kimber, in My SA 1911... All function great...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you having trouble with the ACT-MAG magazines that the Smith's come with?
Truthfully I haven't even shot it yet but I know I want at lest 4-6 extra mags (not including the ones that came with it)and I know good magazines are required for reliability so I was wanting opinions on what were good ones to buy I am looking at some Chip McCormick's on Cheaper than Dirt right now

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I swear by the Wilson 47d.

My RIA came with Act-mags. While they were OK, they weren't 100% reliable. There were still occasional FTFs attributed to nose-dives caused by the mags.

Ever since I switched to the 47d, this has been resolved, and rounds feed with the desired "snick", instead of the ugly "ka-chunk" associated with poor feeding.

Many believe the "perfect" mad to be the Tripp Cobra mag with the 47d follower.

But it does vary a little by gun, so YMMV

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Chip McCormick's as evidently there is a problem with them and scandium framed 1911's. Evidently the follower dings the feed ramp.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Chip McCormick and Tripp are hard to beat.:king:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wilson 47Ds or Tripp Cobra mags exclusively...They really do make a difference.

I know it's blasphemy, but I don't even use Colt magazines anymore, I've had so much luck with the Wilson and Tripp mags...

Ironically, as far as inexpensive range mags go, I've had really good luck with Mec-Gar magazines, and they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Over the years, I think I have used every type/brand of 1911 mag ever made. I have settled on Wilson 47D's and their ETM's. McCormick made great mags but I have had issues with their springs. 7 rd Tripp are good. Most evrything else is for practice for me. If the mag works, use it. If you have issues, stomp on it and throw it away so no one else gets their hands on it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I prefer Wilson's. I thought I had feeding problems with my gun then switched magazines to Wilson. Problems solved.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had great success with Check Mate magazines. I spent quite a while looking for mags with a skirted follower so as not to ding the scandium frame and ones without a base pad. Check Mates fit the bill and have performed without issue.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I like McCormick 1st, Wilson Combat 2nd.

They're both good mags, but the McCormicks are cheaper around here and the Wilson sticks out of the bottom of my 1911 a little bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts