Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of folks here like the 1911 platform.

Kimber is considered by many as the gold standard for 1911s. What would you consider the next best option?

What would be the best value for a 1911?

I don't see myself being able to afford a premium model 1911 in the near future. So I am going to keep my eye open for something a just bit lower priced.

Thanks

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
"Kimber is considered by many as the gold standard for 1911s."

That's news to me. Possibly Kimber thinks so. The new Colt Firearms Colt 1911s are looking and functioning great these days if you can somehow manage to locate one on a dealer shelf somewhere...and they keep their value extremely well should you ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just bought a Kimber compact CDP II. If I had more to choose from I might have bought a Colt or Springfield. I have 500 flawless rounds of FMJ and 100 HP through it. Once I hit 1000 rounds it will be added to the carry rotation and I'd trust my life with it.

I now want a full size and have settled on the Springfield TRP at about $1600. Now just to locate one. Good luck with your 1911 journey.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I like the Kimbers on the range. No problems with mine ever. I will get a Colt 1911 some day just have not found it yet. but I changed over a year ago and carry a Glock or Ruger LC9.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I know a lot of folks here like the 1911 platform.

Kimber is considered by many as the gold standard for 1911s. What would you consider the next best option?

What would be the best value for a 1911?

I don't see myself being able to afford a premium model 1911 in the near future. So I am going to keep my eye open for something a just bit lower priced.

Thanks
I love these opinion threads, no wrong answers. :)
IMHO, The Colt .45 1911 is the "standard" and the new Gold standard is made by Cabot Arms.
There is no other 1911 manufacturer who guarantees that every part is a "drop-in" replacement.
Colts are priced pretty good too and the new Ruger is a good value also.

But remember - Opinions here are worth every ¢ you pay for them. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I want a nice 1911 but I do not want to pay for a nice 1911...

I'm not even sure why I want one, I just do. :smile:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
1911's are great, they are like an extension of the arm. If you want value without spending $2,000 plus I would look at Springfield and the Sigs.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Top Tier: Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Custom, Les Baer, Springfield Custom shop, Smith & Wesson Custom shop, Colt custom shop, Guncrafter Industries
Upper-Mid tier: Dan Wesson, Springfield Loaded and TRP, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer
Mid Tier: Kimber, Springfield GI, Rugar, Remington
low tier: Taurus and others

This is not all inclusive and is just my opinion on the quality of each brand of 1911 taken as a whole. Custom guns are noticeably better in fit, finish, trigger job, and accuracy that's for sure. If you're looking at Kimber I'd go with Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, or Sig first if the choice is available.

note: I also am not saying any on this list are bad guns but I find the overall quality to be higher on some brands vs another. Some differences can be felt immediately upon handling and inspection, others during firing.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I want a nice 1911 but I do not want to pay for a nice 1911...

I'm not even sure why I want one, I just do. :smile:
Chech out the Metro Arms American Classic. I paid under $500 for a new Commander, excellent quality gun, stands up to my son's $1400 Kimber in all ways and I generally out shoot him. :smile:

Reactions: zonker1986

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got the Ruger SR1911 and it is a great gun. I have run anything from brass FMJ to steel case FMJ and hollow points through it flawlessly. An added plus was I got it for $640 new.

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
IMHO, The Colt .45 1911 is the "standard" and the new Gold standard is made by Cabot Arms.

They might be priced at a bit more $$$ than he wants to spend. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a S&W 1911. Its the new E Series. Its gotten mixed reviews. I love it. hits everywhere I aim it. And I got it brand new for $900.00

Reactions: FlaRon

·
Registered
606 Posts
Colt is definitely the standard. That's not to say they are the absolute best, but they are quality 1911's. You can, however, get quality 1911's with more features for less cash. Check out RIA, ATI, Citadel, or Metro Arms. Philipino 1911's that are full of upgrades that would cost significantly more if it were from Colt, Kimber, Springfield or any of the other higher end makers. A Texas company called STI also makes quality 1911's from about $600-$700 all the way up to $3,000 models.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lordy, this could be a heck of a can of worms to open.... But I digress.... I have a Kimber, and it has been great, and I think the 1911 platform is one of the most enjoyable to shoot. Although Kimber sells a lot of guns, I certainly wouldn't consider them the gold standard. At the same price point, I'd also consider a Springfield, Colt, or S and W. And like a previous poster mentioned, there are many other brands that more likely are the "ultimate" high-end 1911, such as a Wilson Combat, etc. But hell, how many of us can afford to throw $3,000+ on one pistol?!?

·
Registered
448 Posts
IF, If I could afford one and afford to shoot it I would want the Special Combat Government model.

But, alas I can't afford it. So I got a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm. It's a good piece.

But when I win the lotto I'll get the Colt and hopefully there will be ammo available. I'm not going to worry about it this year.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts