Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I do not have them on any of my 1911's.
Test results that I have seen do not show any discernible advantage to shooting or accuracy.
To me they are just a bigger PITA on disassembly.
Shoot it first. If you have no problems and you can field strip it ok, leave it alone would be my advice.
By the way welcome to the 1911 family.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I would clean it up and look it over real well , lube it up and get some range time with it . Wilson sells & uses several types of recoil assemblies . You might contact wilson and with your serial number and find out how it was shipped out , age and if its been home for any reason . Now are you coo coo for buying that gun used and sight unseen , heck it might be beeeutifull and like new or !! Well at this point or very soon only you can answer that after a good look over and some range time .

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Congratulations on getting a Wilson.

I will be getting my first 1911 next week, a used Wilson Combat! My main question is, it's coming with a full length guide rod. Should I leave it as is, or change it out? Advanges, disadvantages? Was I coo coo to buy such an expensive gun?
Full-length guide rods aid in extraction and feeding.

They extract money from your pocket and feed it into someone else's.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I do not like them and replace them with the GI parts, I see them as just an answer looking for a question.
I've already ordered flat wire recoil springs just because I had my doubts. BTW, it's the Protector Elite model, SS frame and carbon slide, mag well, match barrel and bushing. Ordered it from Buds. They said it's in excellent condition. coming with 7 mags

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Wouldn’t tinker with it. Clean it and enjoy shooting. Wilson has a good reputation for a reason.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I've owned both with no discernible difference in reliability.

I like the original setup better, both for ease of disassembly and the ability to use the dust cover/recoil plug to clear the gun one handed by jamming it against a solid object.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I say leave it unless it bothers you for some reason. I have both FL and GI in my guns. I like the GI style a little better, but not enough to change the other one. I leave them how they come.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I change the FLGR in any new 1911 that I get to GI set up, mainly for the reduction on weight and easier disassembly.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Don't have my 1911 Colt anymore, idiot me.
Back when I did, many were recommending FL, so I went to it. No problems. After disassembly a couple times got used to it.
Change sucks.
Never had the $$ for a Wilson but always wanted one.
Congrats!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I will be getting my first 1911 next week, a used Wilson Combat! My main question is, it's coming with a full length guide rod. Should I leave it as is, or change it out? Advanges, disadvantages? Was I coo coo to buy such an expensive gun?
If it ain't broke keep fixing it till it is!:yup:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
And I should add, very nice pick up! :35:

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
If it ain't broke keep fixing it till it is!:yup:
So now the question is, which one is fixing what’s not broke? The development of the FLGR, or replacing the FLGR that was put in by the manufacturer with the GI guide rod that was part of the original 1911 design?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
So now the question is, which one is fixing what’s not broke? The development of the FLGR, or replacing the FLGR that was put in by the manufacturer with the GI guide rod that was part of the original 1911 design?
Exactly! You must be an engineer too! :smile:

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I have used both. The only difference I have found is at the time you strip it down. Other wise they both shoot just fine! DR

1 - 20 of 44 Posts