Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of the inside of my SA Mil-Spec, As you can see in the pic the barrel lugs hit the stop pad inside the frame evenly. This is a very important area of the 1911 and if you are about to purchase one field strip it first and examine that area. This contact pattern is crutial to barrel life. Some may have a bowtie impression there so the bottom of teh feet don't make contact, that is a 1 way (not the best way) that compaies mass produce these so the bottom lugs don't cause issues on a non properly machined frame.

The whole story can be read here, some good pics and very good info. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=120227

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The bowtie is supposed to be there .. look at the orginal drawings and its there ..

usually barrel contact in that area doesnt become a issue unless barrel is fitting improperly or there is a comped barrel then it needs the bowtie or it will usually break off the barrel lugs

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
ohh yeah springfield doesnt machine there frames with the bowtie they machine it for full lug contact which isnt bad as long as barrel is fitted right

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bud White said:
The bowtie is supposed to be there .. look at the orginal drawings and its there ..
Believe it or not the vast majority of 1911 that I have handled had no bowtie (colts included). I have seen some pretty beat up stop pads also. I have seen the original drawings. The drawings show it there so they can get away with slamming just about any barrel in there in a time of need.
Here are the drawings

I just noticed that there were quite a few 1911 noobs popping up, and I just want to give them a heads up.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Nothing wrong with that only thing i have seen the bowtie on is my smith 1911sc that is now gone and a colt 1911.. not sure on the RIA but i know none of my springers have it

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah its a .45. Don't get me wrong the RIA is a good entry level 1911, but I would throw another $100-$150 in and get the SA GI, or even better the SA Mil-Spec.

·
Super Moderator
22,134 Posts
5 of 8 Colt's have a well defined bow tie, my other 3 are there, but light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts