Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pt1911 that i sent out to electroless nickel plate. Before it was sent out i didnt have any issues with it,now it seems like the rear end of the magazine hangs lower when inserted and gun wont chamber a round unless I push the mag up and release the slide at the same time. After first round is chambered with me pushing the mag up and releasing the slide, gun functions flawlessly. Ive tried different magazines with the same result. Basicly when I try to chamber a round slide gets stuck on the rim of the casing. Any ideas what the problem might be?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Check the mag well for something hanging up the mag in the mag well (a glob of something, etc). It sounds like it's fitting tight. Will the mag drop freely when pushing the mag release. What I really suspect is the mag release, became a few thousandth thicker with the electro plating and now it is just holding the mag not locking it in place. With the mag in you should be able to push the mag up and release it, and it will move back down. By movement I'm only talking 1 mm or so. It shouldn't be too tight to move freely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mag drops freely. It loads perfectly after the first round. Ejects fine. There is little bit of movement up/down and left/right.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Sounds to me like the plating process has added some thickness in places. Now you have an oversize firearm. Two things I'm thinking here......one is that the bottom of the grip needs to be taken down a bit. Two.......it may be possible that other types of magazines may work better than what you currently are using. I think your magazines and the magazine catch have gotten out of adjustment with the plating. I've heard that the Taurus PT1911 is border line on following along with universal 1911A1 specs on a few things. If you are using mil-spec magazines, you may want to try some Wilson's 8rd or 10rd magazines to see what happens. All of this is simple conjecture on my part, but I can see it as a possibility no matter how odd it may seem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive tried taurus mags, kimber tacpro and chip mccormick. Ill give wilson mags a try. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
How far down the feed ramp does the bullet hit? Sometimes the first round has a tendancy to nose dive into the ramp. That can be caused by weak magazine springs or the bullet releasing from the magazine too early, inhibiting controlled feed. Of course, releasing too late can cause a 3-point jam. It can also be caused by a slide that has slowed down due to friction. Does it still jam the first time if you load to capacity - 1? Field strip the pistol and install the slide only on the frame. Does it slide smoothly or is there a tight spot? Does the breech face or feed ramp have any burrs? Check the extractor tension. Tension should be 3.75 - 4 pounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts