Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking pretty hard and heavy at a few 1911's and I've narrowed it down to either purchasing a Ruger SR1911 cmd, or the SA Mil-spec 1911. Problem is, I haven't found either one in person to be able to put hands on it and get a feel of the fit and finish, trigger, etc... Does anyone have experience with either, or both of these that could give me some impressions of the out of the box feel? I'm not against other 1911's if they can meet the quality and function of the 2 i've mentioned, so I'm open to other suggestion as well. I had a Taurus PT1911 AR, and it had an amazing trigger out of the box, and I wouldn't necessarily be against another, just really liked the two ive mentioned so far, as i've had other firearms by them and know their quality and customer service is great.

·
Registered
18,734 Posts
The Springfield is my choice of the two. I'm sure the Ruger is good too.
I'd say its 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other.

Reactions: Sap03

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would go with the Springer. Mine is flawless and SA has a good rep for customer service.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I'm also in the either/or camp. You should be happy with either. Both are good 'meat & potatoes' guns.

·
Super Moderator
18,483 Posts
I know I'd be willing to take 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other.

·
Super Moderator
17,029 Posts
I have both and they are fine weapons and either will serve you well. That being said the SA wins out by just the slightest edge for a smoother trigger but I have owned it longer and it has far more rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I am going to agree here. I have the SA 1911-A1 Mil-Spec in SS and absolutely love it. The fit, feel and function, to me anyway, is a good the more expensive offerings out there.
Here is a quick pic of mine:
SA_1911 (2).jpg

My best,

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
262 Posts
They're both fine guns and should serve you well. I'd say you should base your choice on whether you want a GI style gun (mil-spec) or a pistol with some modern amenities like the ruger. I'd personally go for the ruger because I prefer higher-profile sights and a beavertail.

·
Super Moderator
19,438 Posts
Having owned a pair of Springers for an aggregate of 27 years I'm a fan... their guns are solid. I'm not sure which lines this may affect, but any of the Springers with serial numbers starting with NM are American made (assembled), which applies to both my old 1911-A1 and my TRP, if that carries any weight with you.

I have no experience with the Ruger as yet, but unlike a Rock Island or Taurus 1911, if given one I would not hand it back.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the ruger 1911gov and it runs flawlessly, in fact my brother who swears by smith and wesson said he couldn't tell the difference betwene the 2

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
That's one of the GREAT things about the 1911 & its variants. With rare exception, the design genius of J.M. Browning shines brighter than the brand-name on the pistol. The differences in price & grade-level between models has more to do with features, finish, sights & tolerances than it does with function or fight-effectiveness. A 1911 is a 1911. Sure, there are some brands we are drawn toward or faithful about, but that's a subjective (not objective) decision.

Reactions: Diddle

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Fit, finish, and the rest of it are fine, but they are cosmetic. For me it's all in the feel of the grips, the balance, and a trigger that breaks "like glass", and almost all 1911s can be brought up to a point where there is no felt break. I would prefer an ugly pistol that feels like part of my hand and points like my finger, is perfectly balanced and holds on the target well, and when you squeeze the trigger it breaks instantly and with no warning, like breaking a glass rod...

It's pure accident that all these qualities are generally found in the most beautiful all steel specimens of the craft (1911s, and S&W and Colt wheel guns)! Sort of like a Guinness beer only having 110 calories... :tongue:

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
You get a little more bang for the buck w the RUGER imo,the Springer is more of a basic GI model but one of the nicer ones out there
Id opt for the ruger,has a better trigger than 1911s that cost double

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have both and seven others. I would go with the Ruger for several reasons, the main one is they are accurate out of the box. SPringfield has been having some issues with theirs and the return time under warranty is fairly long when you are waiting for a new gun to get back. Me, being a solid American citizen, also likes that Rugers are made in the US and not in a foreign country under the guise of an American company like Springfield.

Reactions: Smitty901

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate the comments so far guys. I am (and have been) leaning towards the Ruger SR1911 commander. It'd be nice to have another Ruger to keep the Blackhawk company anyway!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I have seen the Ruger SR1911 listed at 659 this week. It is 1100 worth of gun. If you want a great weapon ,great deal you can not lose .
The SR1911 is another Of those best kept secrets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts