Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of 1911 questions....

1) will any full size 1911 45acp slide fit any full size 1911 45acp frame?

2) say you have a series 70 1911 can you put a series 80 slide on the series 70 frame?

3) are all 45acp 1911 full size barrels interchangeable?

·
Super Moderator
16,147 Posts
1. Generally yes unless it is an aftermarket slide needing custom fitting.

2. That I do not know.

3. Same as number 1.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
802 Posts
US M1911A-1 pistols were produced in the millions during WW2 by Colt, Ithaca, Remington-Rand, Union Switch & Signal Co., and Singer. Parts were sourced from other companies including High Standard, Savage, Little, Risdon, American Pin Co., and others. One of the contract stipulations required that every part in every pistol must be interchangeable with every other pistol, regardless of manufacturer. Perhaps needless to say, this resulted in a broad range of tolerances, as well as some pretty loose pistols.

During the 1950's to 1970's a considerable amount of business was done by gunsmiths "accurizing" 1911 pistols for target or combat use, and a number of useful developments were made available. Thousands of surplus military pistols were released to the public via the Civilian Marksmanship Program (usually about $20 each). In response to consumer demand, the 70-Series Colt pistols incorporated a fingered-collet style barrel bushing, intended to reliably position the barrel at each cycle of the slide. The 80-series Colt pistols incorporated an internal safety device actuated by a transfer bar mechanism. Aftermarket parts (extended safeties & slide releases, improved barrel bushings, guide rods, custom springs, etc) were a cottage industry by themselves. The days of absolute interchangeability of parts were coming to an end.

By the 1980's several other companies were manufacturing 1911-style pistols, many of those incorporating features that were formerly available only from custom shops. The overall trend was in reducing manufacturing and fitting tolerances to improve accuracy and/or functionality. 1911-style pistols have been produced in the US, Canada, Brazil, Turkey, Phillipines, Argentina, China, and probably a few other nations. Variations are the new norm, rather than the rarity.

The answer to the OP's question, if applied to US military contract pistols, is generally "yes"; however when applied to all pistols from all makers the answer is probably "no" or "maybe".

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I have a couple of 1911 questions....

1) will any full size 1911 45acp slide fit any full size 1911 45acp frame?

2) say you have a series 70 1911 can you put a series 80 slide on the series 70 frame?

3) are all 45acp 1911 full size barrels interchangeable?
1)Probably. Most pistols have enough slack in the tolerance. Customs, Bears and the like, are fit with much tighter tolerances and you won't be able to just swap slides to frames.

2)Yes. It just won't shoot. The parts that push up the firing pin block are located in the frame, and those will be missing. You'll need to remove the plunger and spring.

3)See 1. The tolerances on commercially produced pistols will probably allow a barrel swap, provided you aren't trying to put a ramped barrel in a pistol with the feed ramp in the frame.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reason I’m asking is I thought about getting another slide some day like the one pictured. Just for looks and fun. Not gonna carry the pistol or keep it on the nightstand or anything just for range fun and because I think the vents or whatever you call em look cool. Wasn’t sure how careful I would need if he when purchasing one for fitment and interchangeability with the factory parts? 22AA533F-86E1-4D25-92D6-AD98BBD11FD2.jpeg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good replies above. If I were to order this slide, I promise you it would require fitment by a good gunsmith--that is just how my luck runs with "I wonder if" projects. Just in case, check the sellers return policy.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Quote: Retired Badge 1 " 70-Series Colt pistols incorporated a fingered-collet style barrel bushing, intended to reliably position the barrel at each cycle of the slide."

Only thing about my Series 70's I never liked......wish they had a collet much like my Colt US Army 1911 / 1918. and without the Bbl. flair.

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Only thing about my Series 70's I never liked......wish they had a collet much like my Colt US Army 1911 / 1918. and without the Bbl. flair.
The Series 70 reproductions do not have the collet bushing or "Accurizor" barrel, they used the solid bushing. Colt hasn't used either of them since circa 1988.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good replies above. If I were to order this slide, I promise you it would require fitment by a good gunsmith--that is just how my luck runs with "I wonder if" projects. Just in case, check the sellers return policy.
I do have a good gunsmith so fitting it won’t be a problem so long as it can be done to where it is both reliable and safe to use.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Reason I’m asking is I thought about getting another slide some day like the one pictured. Just for looks and fun. Not gonna carry the pistol or keep it on the nightstand or anything just for range fun and because I think the vents or whatever you call em look cool. Wasn’t sure how careful I would need if he when purchasing one for fitment and interchangeability with the factory parts? View attachment 285700
From the pic, it looks like the slide is for a bull barrel, if you're planning on using your barrel ask seller if is cut for a bushing or you will need a bull barrel also, 1911s slides are usually mated to the frames, once you fit that slide to your frame the original slide might not fit/funtion right again. Colt offered at one time a set of a 5" and a officer slide on the same frame, and it was dropped soon after.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
OP that slide you have pictured is also for a ported barrel to help reduce muzzle flip during high speed shooting, it will also be a different weight than a stock slide and you may have to change either your recoil spring or mag feed spring to compensate for the difference in slide speed causing feed issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts