Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intellectually, I have preferred the concept of gun in one hand and flashlight in the other.

After actually practicing building clearing the other night, I am considering a duty gun w/rail.

It will have to be a 1911. :king:

Currently looking at Colt and Kimber offerings, but am open to other options--Wilson looks pretty nice, but the pricetag is out of my reach.

Anybody out there with thoughts or relevant experiences??

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I own 2 kimbers, and have shot several others. I would look at the tactical entry from kimber if this a true duty/HD gun. Extended magwell for easier reloads, comes with night sights, and has the rail you are looking for. That said, you can't go wrong with a Colt either.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Colt all the way.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Take a look at the Rock Islands. They might fit your need.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Give Springfield a look. The Operator is railed, and available in 5" or 4" barrel.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I am a 1911 fan. I love my Kimber. You will spend $1,800 to get into the quality and options needed to be a robust and reliable duty pistol with 8 rounds. You then get to spend the next week properly breaking it in. Then you will enjoy time with this piece of history keeping it properly tuned. This is quality time for us gun nuts. Kind of like they guy who tunes and washes his '63 Stingray so he can keep it running in peak condition.

Or you could buy two H&K USP's, carry 13 rounds, and be done with it. Running a 1911 s a beautiful thing, but requires $$ and devotion.

Just for laughs:
YouTube

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Simple, they're not built for that kind of use. They're entry level guns built to a certain price point to attract a particular market segment. The metallurgy, tolerances, and quality of the internal parts of the low buck guns from the PI, Turkey, etc. are not the same as those made by Colt, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, and so on. This is the same reason police depts and the military don't issue guns from RIA, Bersa, Taurus, Hi Point, and the like. If you want some good guidelines on picking a 1911 for duty use check out the 10-8 website.

Yes, I have owned RIAs and they were good guns for what they were. However, when I carried a 1911 on duty I carried a Springfield and a S&W. Currently I carry a FNP45 Tactical on duty and Colt 1911s off duty and in plain clothes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well put WC145. I have owned 2 RIA's that were superb right out of the box. I wouldn't have a problem carrying one for duty if that was all I had. Given the choice, however, I would rather go with Colt, Springfield, Kimber, STI, Wilson, etc., for the reasons you stated. Absolutley nothing against RIA, but they are entry level for a reason.
I was THIS CLOSE to getting into a Colt Rail Gun a few months back and I still kick myself for not pulling the trigger on that deal!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Simple, they're not built for that kind of use. They're entry level guns built to a certain price point to attract a particular market segment. The metallurgy, tolerances, and quality of the internal parts of the low buck guns from the PI, Turkey, etc. are not the same as those made by Colt, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, and so on. This is the same reason police depts and the military don't issue guns from RIA, Bersa, Taurus, Hi Point, and the like. If you want some good guidelines on picking a 1911 for duty use check out the 10-8 website.

Yes, I have owned RIAs and they were good guns for what they were. However, when I carried a 1911 on duty I carried a Springfield and a S&W. Currently I carry a FNP45 Tactical on duty and Colt 1911s off duty and in plain clothes.
Thanks, However their are military carrying bersa guns as well as police departments (Argentina). The RIA is a little better than what you describe. I am not one to say that a gun is not worthy because the local PD or the military do not use it. I appreciate you explaining your reasoning...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks, However their are military carrying bersa guns as well as police departments (Argentina). The RIA is a little better than what you describe. I am not one to say that a gun is not worthy because the local PD or the military do not use it. I appreciate you explaining your reasoning...
I'm not dissing RIA, they're great recreational quality guns but don't mistake them for something they're not. If the quality was on par with the manufacturers I mentioned, and other higher end guns, they wouldn't be $500. Also, the fact that Argentinas police and army carries Bersas doesn't make them any more attractive to me, and doesn't mean they're equal to Glocks or Sigs and the like. I carry a gun for living, I make sure that what I trust my life to is top quality from a proven manufacturer.
If you were a cop would you choose to carry a RIA, Bersa, or Taurus? If so you'd be the only one I'd ever heard of.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I'm not dissing RIA, they're great recreational quality guns but don't mistake them for something they're not. If the quality was on par with the manufacturers I mentioned, and other higher end guns, they wouldn't be $500. Also, the fact that Argentinas police and army carries Bersas doesn't make them any more attractive to me, and doesn't mean they're equal to Glocks or Sigs and the like. I carry a gun for living, I make sure that what I trust my life to is top quality from a proven manufacturer.
If you were a cop would you choose to carry a RIA, Bersa, or Taurus? If so you'd be the only one I'd ever heard of.
I fully understand what you are saying. Others around the world have figured out metals and manufacturing. I am not saying that they are better. A lot of times folks make the mistake of following what LE or Mil might have, without realizing that the contract was low bid.

That being said, I to carry a gun, and I to want to have a weapon from a proven manufacturer. I am just not on the wagon when it comes to this is what LE carries so I have to. To answer the question about the RIA, yes is most of the MiM parts were replaced. That is assuming that I would choose a 1911 for a fighting pistol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.