Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went out and shot my Springfield Armory 1911 45acp, micro-compact saturday. boy i wish i'da researched it a bit more.
as i did a lot of my "research" after i bought it.
what i tend to shoot is WWB FMJ. it loves'em. blazer brass...no problem either.
Well I purchased some remington JHP's..hated'em.
lotsa FTE's. just like what i get with Wolf ammo.

I am beginning to wonder if its my shooting technique?
a soft grip maybe? (hate to say limp-wrist) letting the gun move too much? but if so why does it perform okay with the WWB FMJ's? i don't feel i'm too lose one it though.

i just hear so much about less than 4" 1911's being kind of a pain. i thought i didn't have one as it werks flawlessly on the FMJ's but now i wonder.... :grumpy:

any ideas?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
SOLOLUCKY said:
Well, I went out and shot my Springfield Armory 1911 45acp, micro-compact saturday. boy i wish i'da researched it a bit more.
as i did a lot of my "research" after i bought it.
what i tend to shoot is WWB FMJ. it loves'em. blazer brass...no problem either.
Well I purchased some remington JHP's..hated'em.
lotsa FTE's. just like what i get with Wolf ammo.

I am beginning to wonder if its my shooting technique?
a soft grip maybe? (hate to say limp-wrist) letting the gun move too much? but if so why does it perform okay with the WWB FMJ's? i don't feel i'm too lose one it though.

i just hear so much about less than 4" 1911's being kind of a pain. i thought i didn't have one as it werks flawlessly on the FMJ's but now i wonder.... :grumpy:

any ideas?
SELL IT QUICK!!!

I had a SA "micro" and it was nothing but grief for me. I will never again own a sub 4" 1911 style firearm. IMHO under a 4" bbl and the 1911 design becomes flawed. My Colt Commander has never let me down...but it's a 4.25" bbl. Very few folks in my IDPA club have them and almost none compete with them. This weekend I'll be competing with my carry gun a Sig P245 with P220 mags as spares. It has never failed me. A carry weapon MUST be 100% reliable. In your place I could never trust my life or my family's life to that gun. Even thousands of rounds later, I'd still be wondering if it was going to crap out when the chips are down?

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I thought the very same thing about the 3" BBLs... not all are the same. My Colt Defender shoots everything it's fed. The SA Micro we have at the store, has been bought and traded 4 times so far. Looks new, BUT, after seeing it returned as trades, I know it's got troubles within. Like EX mentions, you may be best with at least a 4" BBL gun. :biggrin:
I would probably start with a polishing of the feedramp, with a change in the recoil spring if needed. Might help, might not. :biggrin:
Did ya buy it new? or used? :confused:
If new, I'd bring it back to the Dealer, state your issue and if he's reputable, he'll either send it out to be fixed, or take it back, with a credit on your end for another purchase. If you bought it used, still take it back, and ask if you can purchase another item from stock, or get a credit on your purchase. Either way, if they're reputable, and you've done business with em before, you can work out something for both of you. I know that we're tops in Customer Service at the store. We go waaaaaaaaaaay over to make sure things are right. Be persistant, and respectful to the Dealer, and most likely they'll work in your favor. If not, then you know where NOT to go again, and the bad rep may hurt him in the end.. Just my 02 cents from the retail end, and knowledge of the gun.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Guy at one club got one this summer - and I shot it - and was impressed. This tho with ball ammo. No way therefore to know its potential or otherwise with any SD type JHP ammo.

I have more and more come to think that compacts and sub compacts just may not cut it - and am waiting for range time to see if my extractor replacement in the P12.45 is gonna do the trick. That's 3 1/2" and actually still 1/2" shorter than I think is good.

If the Micro won't fix then move it on - as has been said - it can't pass muster for carry unless dead reliable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think the 3" can be done with a 1911 - it just doesn't seem like Springfield has figured it out. A friend of mine has a 3" Kimber and he claims it works pretty well.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a Springfield 3 1/2" (Officer's size) and it just liked FMJ, nothing else. I have two Colt Officer's and they both pretty much are FMJ only. Oddly enough - and to second CLASS3NH -- my Colt Defender 3" will feed anything I've run in it. I kind of collect Colts, so it wasn't a purchase only for CCW. If it only fed FMJ, I'd still keep it.
But, I've been quite surprised by it. Shocked, actually. Feeds great, shoots great. I don't know how the Defender is set up as compared with the Springfield micro, though.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
FTE, as in, the case is hanging up before coming fully out of the chamber? You might even consider a quickie polish job on the chamber(Flitz and a dremel 1/2" felt bob). If the JHP's are a bit hotter than the ball you were using, there may just be enough "roughage' in there to drag the case as it's being swelled, and slow your extraction.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Compact 1911's can work. I wouldn't write off your little pain just yet. Springfield has excellent customer service and if you call them they will do what needs to be done to make you a satisfied customer.

·
Administrator
143,812 Posts
Well, It's Feeding Some Ammo With No Problems

It does not like Remington
JHP. So...try Speer JHP.
Usually, when a Colt pattern pistol does not feed one ammo type then:

That ammo is not compatible with the magazine & is either releasing too early or late.

Or...the extractor...because slight differences in case brass will sometimes cause a particular brand of "case brass" to be gouged & caught by the sharp extractor hook.

Or the barrel throat/chamber might just need to have a "too sharp edge broken."

It could be a few other really minor things.

Sometimes with a new pistol if the slide rails are slightly rough then there is not enough "forward push" to easily chamber some brands of ammo.

Top inside surface of the barrel chamber might need to be polished.

Usually if a pistol already feeds a few different ammo types flawlessly then something just needs a minor adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Hope ya get it working right. Just got a 4" Springfield Champion . Considered a 3" , but after researching , didn't want to take a gamble on a shorter barrel reliability.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't think I would even want a 3 inch in the 1911. I just imagine the bruising you would take firing 230 grain from that thing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the advice.
i'm not gonna give up yet.
the polishing thing is in the werks...is planned for tonite actually.
didn't think of the top of the chamber area. but it sure makes sense now.

230 grains aren't bad.
sure not as bad as i expected when i shot it for the first time. which BTW was also the first time i shot a .45 auto too so i expected VIOLENCE. thats why i also commented on maybe needing to increase my grip on it, but i think i am doing ok cuz the FMJ's fire ok....
gonna polish a lot on it tonite.

also, another thought. areas i may polish like the grip safety tip that "bites" my thumb area. its a black parkerized(?) finish. Is there a product the "reblack" them?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have the EXACT problem with my SA Micro. It hates Rem. FMJ ,with at least one FTF with each mag. I tried a Kimber mag, with the same results. I had the polishing done, but also had about 230 bucks of other non-related work done-(lots of $$$ for something that I cannot carry). It handles Federal without as much problems, but it's still not 80%. I think the "loose wrist" plays a part because with a death grip, I don't have (as many) FTF. There is another problem that is even more irritating....it ejects the brass into my right safety lens - the right lens has several deep cuts as a result. I plan to get rid of it eventually, but until then it's a totally useless "safe queen".

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GEEZER,
IT sucks doesn't it. i bought it with the best intentions and they failed to pan out. as for you also i see.
did the polishing help any noticeably?
obviously not the save-all.
i had it pop a shell back and down my shirt.
wanna talk about something that'll get ya hopping.
i have started wearing a hat whenever i shoot it cuz that brass flies everywhere.
i agree that applying the death grip technique did reduce the FTE's.
maybe i need to werk on that and with some polishing it'll help.
i hope...otherwise its in trouble

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Sololucky - Your having the casings flying to different places may sorta narrow the problem down (assuming that the chamber is pretty clean when all this happens). If you hare having failures to extract AND the spent casings are not landing in about the same place, there's a good chance that the problem is the extractor. Take a look at its little tooth close up and see if maybe it's rounded off or broken. If you can't see anything obviously rounded off, then it is likely that the extractor's tension or length isn't right. I'd take it back where I bought it, explain to them that you know these are distinct possibilities based on (1) FTEs and (2) brass landing all over the place, and see what they'll do to make it right.

Sorry you're having trouble with your Micro. I flat LOVED mine - out of the box it was slick and accurate - not a single bobble with any of the ammo I tried. The only boo boo I noticed about mine was that the factory lettering on the side got really shallow in places. Sold it to a friend who needed it more than I. Otherwise I'd still have - and still be carrying - it.

Oh, and one more thing. This'll sound weird, but I'll try to explain - when you try the pistol again, grit your teeth, and get pissed off. Sounds funny, I know, but I remember when I have had guns that I wasn't too sure about, I'd try getting dirty dog mean, and try to "dominate" the pistol. Hold the sonofa)@$#)(* hard with a crush grip! (That'll be what you'll have on it anyway if you need it for defensive purposes, and it won't affect accuracy much at practical ranges.) Doing that may get you past not only possible limp-wristing (which you may or may not be doing) but also may make you discover some things about where your concentration is during firing that may be adding to what's throwing things off. Really run the gun hard for a few hundred rounds. The break-in might also help it function better.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I think the Polishing deal will clear up your troubles. Most people feel that if they're spending a large amount of money on a weapon, it should work flawlessly out of the box. Nope, nada, they all need a little tweaking to make em work 100%.. Point in mind, a friend of mine bouught a beretta Tomcat 32 brand new a couple weeks ago. After trying differnt brands of ammo, he found several that worked, and some that didn't.
I then took the gun, with him watching me, and polished the heck out of the feed ramp, etc, and slicked the gun up. NOW, he reports that the ammo that "didn't work" in his gun, feeds flawlessly. AND the gun is his constant companion now.
Work that S A a little on the feed ramp, polish the heck out of it, try several brands of ammo and stick with the one or two brands that work 100%

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
they all need a little tweaking to make em work 100%..
What 1911s and what has to be tweaked? I've had a small boat load of 'em in 30 years and just have not found this to be true. This isn't intended to be confrontational Bob, merely curiosity.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Hi OD, I was just passing my personal view on the problem, as I've had about 40 of them, in various manufacturers. I could put 5 Colts together, and they might not function the same way. I know you're just curious, and am not taking anything as confrontational. :biggrin: My defender eats everything, but as it gets dirty, from powder residue, it tends to get caught in the middle of a feeding. I then polished the ramp, cleaned up some of the areas that may catch residue and now, it funtions without a hitch. I've seen the same SA Micro come back into the store, with the same problems, (FTF mostly) The guy who bought the gun thought it would shoot 100% reliably right out of the box (BTW it REALLY should) I'm just saying that no weapon is 100% reliable. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
Thank s Bob, I appreciate your perspective.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts