Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here who carries a 1911 or other pistol with a similar safety ever come home at the end of the day and found that the safety had been inadvertantly disengaged? Was it a normal safety or an ambidextrous safety?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Neither of my 1911's that I carry have ever had the safety come off while carrying. Probably is partially due to the holster I use having some leather that goes up to the back of the gun, and the safety makes a nice indent into the leather that helps keep it in place.

Mine have the normal safety.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Sounds like a seriously weak detent and/or a major point contact problem in the rig. I'd not be happy with that!

·
Registered
814 Posts
+1 to Chris. Need to have that pistola looked at by a 'smith.

·
Administrator
143,810 Posts
Safety

If you safety wipes to off safe during carry then I would not carry that pistol until the problem was corrected with the pistol or you purchase a different holster. Your pistol safety should have a very postive click off safe.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nope. I've never seen that trick first hand, but I have read of it happening. The good news is that you still have to depress both the trigger and the grip safety to make noise, but as others have suggested, I'd have it looked at.

SSKC

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had this problem with my S/A 1911 Loaded, using a cheap holster. Most of the loaded models have a extended thumb safety. The extra length of the safety will add some leverage making it easier to click "off" while moving in the holster, or the safety will sweep "off" while drawing the weapon.

My fix was to get a quality holster. Plan B would have been to install a standard length thumb safety. I do watch for this problem with any holsters I use.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Both of my SA and my Colt have standard (non Combat????sillys safetys) installed. The big safety is one of the items that do not need to be on a combat/self defense gun IMO. Same thing for ambis. If I were a lefty, the left side safety of the ambi would be smooth.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
KC135 is correct. Good advise from all. I suspect interference from the rig is the first thing to look at, if safety click is positive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Never been a problem. Most of my 1911s have a single side Chip McCormick extended safety, all the ones for carry do anyway.

I have one with an Ed Brown(?) gas pedal sized safety (found in a drawer somewhere) and another with the pinned ambi safety from Kimber, but I dont carry them.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Nope, never have. I believe my holster design would also help prevents it from happening even if there might be a malfunction.

·
Registered
275 Posts
damn, my father carries a kimber pro carry and it has a thumb safety so hard sometimes I worry about him if he had to disengage it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep,
I have a duty holser that disengages the thumb safety on my Pro Carry. Due to the fact that there is still the grip safety and the trigger guard is protected by the holster, I don't loose any sleep over it. What about the Glock, does anyone concern themselves that the Glock has no mechanical safety? If the Glock is no problem, it's for sure the 1911 with the thumb safety disengaged shouldn't be.
str1

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shooter1 said:
Yep,
I have a duty holser that disengages the thumb safety on my Pro Carry. Due to the fact that there is still the grip safety and the trigger guard is protected by the holster, I don't loose any sleep over it. What about the Glock, does anyone concern themselves that the Glock has no mechanical safety? If the Glock is no problem, it's for sure the 1911 with the thumb safety disengaged shouldn't be.
str1
It should be noted that the thumb safety and the grip safety act in two different ways. The grip safety merely blocks the trigger, while the thumb safety forces the sear into engagement with the hammer and prevents movement. Also, the thumb safety nestles into a semi-circular cut in the hammer, so that even in the event of catastrophic failure of the sear, the safety should prevent the hammer from falling (although, in this situation, the hammer would fall when the safety was disengaged)

The difference between the hammer on the 1911 and the striker on the Glock is that if the hammer falls from its normal carry mode (cocked), the gun will fire. If the striker on the Glock falls from its normal ready position, it should not have enough "umph" to fire the gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts