Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who carry 1911 style guns, including a SIG P938, Colt Defender etc., how many carry cocked and UNLOCKED. That is, loaded, a round in the chamber, and the manual safety is disengaged. This is just informational. We can have a discussion as to the advisability of this type of carry from a safety perspective later.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Nope, not me, ever.

(Is this a trick question?) :blink:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Gains; I get a sense that there is some story behind your question and I, for one, would love to hear it!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Gains; I get a sense that there is some story behind your question and I, for one, would love to hear it!
+1

Always cocked and locked for me.

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Never, always carried cocked & locked the way it was designed to be carried.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I initially felt the same way. But under reconsideration, maybe...not. :blink:

Reactions: SatCong

·
Administrator
144,136 Posts
The simple operation of the thumb safety becomes so natural and ingrained that there is really no reason not to use it.
There is absolutely no loss of speed on the presentation of the 1911 to the intended target or threat since snicking it off is just a part of the draw sequence.

Technically I guess....the properly holstered 1911 would not..."Go Bang" all by itself should the thumb safety be in the off position but, there is Zero logical reason why an individual would (or should) have it holstered in that manner.

Or...at least I cannot imagine one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As QKShooter says the reflex action of sweeping off the thumb safety becomes so natural during presentation that it's not a concern - IF that's what you use,practice with, and expect.

My suspicion is that those who have had occasional failures during presentation also have multiple firearms some with and some without the thumb safety.

Many here will recognize that I frequently post that I pick handguns that ALL have the same manual of arms - SA with a thumb safety. That way I don't have to adjust to each mode of operation.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Heck, at presentation my thumb sweeps down the safety (that isn't even THERE) on my G19! Good habits are JUST as hard to break as BAD habits. IMHO, better safe than...stupid. :blink:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts