Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
I owned many guns most were S&W 60, 686 Revo. and semis 39, 645, model 52 master, model 41, HK P07 and many many others. I shot the WC in comp for 3 years

I did own many Colt 1911's
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, what make of 1911 did you have the Wilson Combat built upon?

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
Colt from Wilson Gun Shop in either 78/79... a few years before Wilson started making their own parts and their guns got much more expensive.
Thanks, I had one built on a Colt 'bout '96 I'd guess it was? Shortly before or after he started offering his own pistols anyway.

'78/79, nice, you got a very early one.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"

I can make the case for revolvers- a good wheel gun trumps all when it comes to simple operation and power. But for power, capacity, accuracy all rolled into one, does the 1911 win?

Start your engines....
A 1911 in one form or another is just about ideal for lots of applications.

Is it "the best" though? Maybe in its niche. But there are a bunch of those niches.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When I carry IWB, it's usually My Kimber SIS Ultra. OWB I carry my Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. Out-of-the-box, they fired as well and accurate as any custom 1911 I've ever had or fired. I trust my life with them every day. I have (and have had) quite a number of plastic guns, but I always seem to go back to these. As for the addition weight, I just started wearing suspenders.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I have owned three 1911's since around 1990. All three were all steel frames with 4" barrels. I have shot the 5" versions, but not extensively. I have yet to see a 1911 that beats any of the more modern brands or good models for reliability. A friend of mine has a 5" Taurus, a Kimber, Wilson, and a Nighthawk. The Taurus has been the best. And the cheapest. Go figure. I love my Champion. But when it comes down to what I trust with my life, I carry a Beretta 92 or a Sig. 1911's are fun to shoot. But like all antiques, they're high maintenance, and questionable reliability rule them out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
But you decided to chuck a grenade into the room anyway, Doug ? :rolleyes:
Here's a topic I was thinking of starting in another thread- Is the Glock 19 the best semi auto in the world? :gah:

Just kidding. That would be an atomic grendade! :image001:

Reactions: OD* and PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I've got 1911's and I've carried them, keep going back to Glocks.
I shoot my Glock 21, 22 and 35 just as well and they impress me as "soft shooting".

A 1911 is slim and conceals easily IWB, but the 22 and 35 are fairly slim too. (35 seems big but its length / height are very similar to 1911)

Limiting options to flush fit, 1911 magazine is 7 or 8 rounds 45 acp.
13 rounds 45 acp in Glock 21.
15 rounds in Glock 22/35
Glock 21: Federal HST 230 gr. @ 863 fps / 380# KE
Glock 22: Federal HST 180 gr. @ 996 fps / 397# KE
Glock 35: Federal HST 180 @ 1,019 fps / 415# KE

If I had to live in a 10 round state a 1911 would have more appeal, still the Glock 30SF (10 rounds 45 acp) would be a competitor for my holster.
Although the capacity discrepancy is reduced, 1911 still comes up deficient.
I'd carry two spare mags with the 1911 vs one with the Glock, but continuity of fire factors for something.
30SF does not have the same "shootability" (for me) as the larger Glocks, advantage 1911.
Two days later...

Thanks OP. :aargh4:
This thread caused me to put 1911's IWB - again.
That is always a mistake, because although the Glock 22/35 is "fairly slim" it is not the same slim as a 1911. :doh:
A Glock 21SF seems rather thick when compared to the 1911. :02:
So slim IWB
The feel of the grip in my hand.
3rd time in one year, back to 1911. :icon_redface:

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Two days later...

That is always a mistake, because although the Glock 22/35 is "fairly slim" it is not the same slim as a 1911. :doh:
So slim IWB
But you went to back to antiques. That just keep working. :image035:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
But you went to back to antiques. That just keep working. :image035:
I have four (4) 1911's. This is in part because I can't afford an Ed Brown :)umbrella:). Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Kimber. Oddly enough, they all work. Consistently. I keep shooting them in the hopes that they will fail and I can finally figure out what's wrong with them. I'm 100% positive that they are NOT reliable. I know for certain that they will fail some day and I'll finally figure out that the recoil spring is the wrong weight or that the extractor needs tuning or that the feed ramp needs to be polished (more).

I hate these pistols because I can't figure out what's wrong with them so far. I'm sure I will though. Once I figure out what's wrong with them, I'll probably sell them all off and buy a Glock. The frustrating part is that I'm wasting a lot of time shooting and reloading ammo and buying reloading supplies and buying ammo while trying to figure out why they suck. Or will suck. Probably. 'Cuz the internet sez so.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Two days later...

So slim IWB
My job here is complete. :tongue:

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I have four (4) 1911's. This is in part because I can't afford an Ed Brown :)umbrella:). Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Kimber. Oddly enough, they all work. Consistently. I keep shooting them in the hopes that they will fail and I can finally figure out what's wrong with them. I'm 100% positive that they are NOT reliable. I know for certain that they will fail some day and I'll finally figure out that the recoil spring is the wrong weight or that the extractor needs tuning or that the feed ramp needs to be polished (more).

I hate these pistols because I can't figure out what's wrong with them so far. I'm sure I will though. Once I figure out what's wrong with them, I'll probably sell them all off and buy a Glock. The frustrating part is that I'm wasting a lot of time shooting and reloading ammo and buying reloading supplies and buying ammo while trying to figure out why they suck. Or will suck. Probably. 'Cuz the internet sez so.
Understand, from the 1960's on they just keep working for me, even when they have over 100,000 rounds through them. But I will keep trying.:image035:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Understand, from the 1960's on they just keep working for me, even when they have over 100,000 rounds through them. But I will keep trying.:image035:
I have absolute confidence that one day we'll figure out why these are completely obsolete and a bad idea. But the effort is a bit of a pain. Sorry to gripe.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A box stock 1911 is not perfect for me. I don't like suffering hammer bite. I also like a bigger safety and *Good* sights. An enhanced 1911 is a really nice pistol but I don't want to mess with a bare bones, box stock 1911.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts

I can't afford it either. :redface:

I have the advantage of time, being a gun owner a long time, and have sold / traded "lesser" guns to get a few nice ones.
Two is one, one is none so I have two 1911's for myself.
I have two more so that I can give one to each of my two boys when they are old enough (both legally and IMO).
One extra, in commander size - just because.

My job here is complete. :tongue:
:vs_smirk:

Reactions: Kilowatt3 and OD*

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Shot a few rounds over the chrono today
Dan Wesson Valor
Winchester 230 gr. FMJ @ 830 fps
Federal 230 HST @ 891 fps
Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 915 fps

IMO the stainless Valor is priced very competitively considering tool steel small parts (no MIM)

valor.jpg

1911 doesn't have Glock capacity, but Glock doesn't have 1911 slimness
This holster was not made for a 1911, it was a Glock 21 holster
I heated it with a hairdryer & reshaped it and put in a couple retention screws.
Frankenstein result pleases me (a lot) - pistol is canted forward, grip is tucked snug to body, rides deep getting the muzzle past (off) my hip.
1911 disappears under a untucked polo and I can lean forward quite a bit without printing.
I've worn it on casual 9 mile bicycle rides / all day long piddling, running errands, ect... no problem.

slim.jpg

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I have plenty of practical handguns, semis and revolvers. Some are "tupperware," others are steel, most are both. I've shot many, but I don't own a 1911 (though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...).

Is there a better shooting, more accurate handgun than a stock 1911 in .45 caliber? Boring ergos, heavy to carry- but is there a "better" handgun platform/caliber combo if you want to "get the job done?"
Boring ergos, heavy to carry- I wonder how can a 72 year old man carry a 5'' or 4 1/4'' all steel 1911's for CC every day? :yup:

41 - 60 of 150 Posts