Defensive Carry banner
61 - 80 of 150 Posts
A good "gun belt" is a must whether its a Glock or a 1911.
I've got a better belt now than in picture with 1911.
1911 seems to move (shift) less IWB than lighter guns, weight holds it still.

I accidentally dropped into the local sporting goods store today. While I was there I struck up a conversation with an older guy, probably late 60's or early 70's. He turned out to be retired military and LEO with a wealth of firearms experience.

As we covered various firearms subjects, we ended up discussing the 1911, as one invariably does. I opined that the 1911 trigger design was as good a trigger as I had ever shot and was probably the reason I shot 1911's so well. He heartily agreed with me and also felt the grip angle on the 1911 made it a great shooting pistol, too.

A little provocatively, I mentioned that they were kinda heavy. He of course saw that as an advantage, both for recoil control and for aiming when the adrenaline was flowing. I confessed that I had found the same to be true, myself. He noted that all his pistols and revolvers were steel-framed, but that his foolish son carried a titanium framed .44 as a woods gun.

We agreed that the .45ACP was a nice shooting round and an easy round to reload.

A little more provocatively, I said that many modern firearms writers and experts thought the 1911 was an outdated design, past it's prime, and largely superseded by more modern guns.

"They're just nuts!"

:yup:

I prefer the 1911 and large ol heavy bullets.

Capacity is not a or a major deal for me.
The only other gun that I like about as well is the old SAA for its grip, point ability, trigger pull and power.

I actually may talk myself out of every “ modern” gun I own at the rate I’m going.

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

Only in the hands of an expert. I've seen far too many 1911 shooters who couldn't hit a barn door from the inside. It's not the bow, it's always the indian

1911- the perfect shooting handgun

Only in the hands of an expert. I've seen far too many 1911 shooters who couldn't hit a barn door from the inside
Oh, Lord don’t get me started on that one.

I remember the time at an indoor range where a new Sig owner was telling me that although the Glock was a good-nuff for its intended purpose, it was faaarrrr inferior to his Sig.

Lets just say he had a rude awakening, and certainly didn’t allow that Sig to measure up to his braggadocio talk.

Yes, we have seen it time and time again.

Interesting that this thread should appear just now. Only yesterday, a young gun enthusiast co-worker and I had a great conversation along these lines. I'm not ex-military, or LEO - just a long-time handgun enthusiast. I shoot a good bit, although not the hundreds or thousands of rounds per month that some do. In the last 40 years I've had upwards of 100 handguns. My EDC's are plastic fantastics of the M&P flavor.

I related to my young friend how I just really seem to shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol. He asked me, "If you were facing a BG fifty yards away who was pointing a gun at you, and all you had was a pistol to defend yourself with, what would you want it to be?" My answer was my DW Valor. I answered pretty much without thinking, so I guess for me, the 1911 has proven itself well enough! :yup:
At 50 yards, this one. :smile:
Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Gramophone record

Just talked Mrs Nix into letting me pick up a Colt Competition in 38 Super. This will be my first 38 Super........
Great news!

I am so envious!

That's a great round and looks to be great for handloading fun as well.

Yeah, I've been lusting after a new Colt .38 Super .38.

Gotta keep OD* happy with the cartridge nomenclature so we'll tack a prefix and suffix to .38. Heh! Whatever it is it's gotta be super! Really does look like one of the better auto pistol cartridges, right there with .357 SIG though it came along first.

Brought the new 1911 home today:

Cleaned it, function checked, did a magazine feed check. All together, I'm quite pleased.

The frame to slide fit has a bit more play than I was hoping for. I'd read that Colt was making some tight slides, this one is fine but didn't need any significant lapping before leaving the factory. Lock seems good. I'll be interested how it does at the range.

To clean it, I broke it down as usual and also took out the extractor and firing pin. I will say that it was a bit of a bear to get the extractor out. I guess it is tensioned a bit more than the 45 ACP extractors are, and the claw wanted to hand onto the breech face for dear life. But, just hand checking the extractor, it seems tuned nicely.

I haven't made up my mind about the plastic main spring housing. I guess there are a few benefits to a plastic housing, so I'll probably live with it for a while.

The trigger is a very nice 3.5 pounds, but has a bit of pretravel or slack and a hint of mushiness. So after a test trip to the range, I'll try to get the slack out and crisp it up a touch. It's fine the way it is, but.....this is a 1911 so why not try to achieve a bit of perfection. What would JMB do?

61 - 80 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.