Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
It was the best until its designer came out with the updated and improved model.

Yes he did and the Hi-Power was the second pistol I purchased and it did replace my 1911. It's interesting to note that John Browning was only marginally content with the 1911 design and thought the Hi-Power was superior. I think he would be surprised at the following the 1911 still has over all these years here in the US. It amazes me as the 1911 and the Ford Model T vehicle are of the same vintage and having seen the Model T in depth as I had a relative that had one I can appreciate old vintage items like that but to say that they are still viable today it quite a stretch but yes you can still drive the Model T out and around town if you really want to.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Yes he did and the Hi-Power was the second pistol I purchased and it did replace my 1911. It's interesting to note that John Browning was only marginally content with the 1911 design and thought the Hi-Power was superior. I think he would be surprised at the following the 1911 still has over all these years here in the US. It amazes me as the 1911 and the Ford Model T vehicle are of the same vintage and having seen the Model T in depth as I had a relative that had one I can appreciate old vintage items like that but to say that they are still viable today it quite a stretch but yes you can still drive the Model T out and around town if you really want to.
According to what I have read and my understanding on that is that JMB had to come with a different design to accommodate the request of the client and also to avoid copyright infringements; not that he considered it a better design.

·
Registered
434 Posts
According to what I have read and my understanding on that is that JMB had to come with a different design to accommodate the request of the client and also to avoid copyright infringements; not that he considered it a better design.
I don't have the exact names but those that worked with Browning over at FN noted that he felt that the Hi-Power was superior and also noted that Browning did not agree with what the US Army wanted in the 1911 but he built it to their design requirements. My gut feeling is that if Browning designed the 1911 to his specifications it would be better than what we got. We all know how great the Army is at weapon procurement as we saw in later years after the 1911 with the M-14 and M-16 debacles.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The 1911 is arguably the most successful pistol in history.

I suppose a couple of DA revolvers might makes the same claim. The Hi-Power would also be a contender.

But, so far, just my opinion, we never got anything better.

(JMB wanted to design a 200 grain bullet for the Army, the Army wanted a 230 grain round. The Army wanted a safety and a grip safety, so JMB added those. Otherwise I think the 1911 was pretty much all JMB. )

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
I don't have the exact names but those that worked with Browning over at FN noted that he felt that the Hi-Power was superior and also noted that Browning did not agree with what the US Army wanted in the 1911 but he built it to their design requirements. My gut feeling is that if Browning designed the 1911 to his specifications it would be better than what we got. We all know how great the Army is at weapon procurement as we saw in later years after the 1911 with the M-14 and M-16 debacles.
Now what's wrong with the M-14? Sure work better then the M-16 in NAM.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
The 1911 is arguably the most successful pistol in history.

I suppose a couple of DA revolvers might makes the same claim. The Hi-Power would also be a contender.

But, so far, just my opinion, we never got anything better.

(JMB wanted to design a 200 grain bullet for the Army, the Army wanted a 230 grain round. The Army wanted a safety and a grip safety, so JMB added those. Otherwise I think the 1911 was pretty much all JMB. )
Thats pretty much my recollection. I own both the BHP and 1911, and I so far I haven’t found anything significant about the BHP that makes it better.

I reckon the vast majority agree, as the BHP is out of production and you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a current production 1911.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That is my thinking, too. And the 1911 arrived on the scene some 20+ years earlier.

(Oh, don't get me wrong; I love my BHP)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Now what's wrong with the M-14? Sure work better then the M-16 in NAM.
After going through a lot of documentation on the ridiculous situation with how the US Army Ordnance handled the M-16 I began hearing about similar things that happened with the M-14 and I started investigating it. It would be too long to type out what I found so far but the video below does a great job at explaining the situation with how the M-14 was handled. Yes the M-16 had a rougher ride than the M-14 but it was clear that the the US Army Ordnance learned nothing going forward from the M-14 program.

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
At the end of WWII they had a M-1 with a Bar 20 round mag that was working. But they shut it down because the end of the war near. It's all about money and who you know. As for me I love the M-14, it works. :yup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
The US Army Ordnance got the M1 Garand right. I will give them that but not much more than that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ask any superior pistolsmith: The Hi-Power's trigger action is a true horror, and almost impossible to tweak into a reliable, repeatable, crisp pull.
Further, its thumb safety is too small, and not in exactly the right place.
Further yet, many people find the Hi-Power's grip to be too fat.

In opposition, the 1911's barrel-link system is not the best solution to the problem, but the Hi-Power's solution is much better.
And the original form of the 1911's grip safety does not work well with its thumb-safety lever. That's why we now have the "memory bump" on the grip safety.
Further, the 1911's barrel bushing was a bad idea, and nothing has ever made it better.
But the 1911's trigger action is superb, and very easy for a really good pistolsmith to tweak.

The most interesting thing about the 1911 is that no tools are ever needed to detail strip the entire mechanism.
As I understand it, that was a US Government requirement.
Special tools are required to remove-and-replace the grip-screw bushings, the plunger tube, and the front sight, but those are considered to be permanent parts.

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
The US Army Ordnance got the M1 Garand right. I will give them that but not much more than that.
Not all the way. The first M-1's had a gas trap on it. They change it to what we all know. By the way if you have a M-1 with a gas trap, I would give you few bucks for it. :image035:

·
Registered
Various
15,488 Posts
I had zero issues with the M-14 in Viet Nam in 1965/1966. I had zero issues with the M-16 in Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I didn't start hearing about issues until the internet came along. In my opinion, the issues are way overblown by internet myths.

Guide.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had zero issues with the M-14 in Viet Nam in 1965/1966. I had zero issues with the M-16 in Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I didn't start hearing about issues until the internet came along. In my opinion, the issues are way overblown by internet myths.
Glad to hear that you did not have any problems with the weapons you were issued. I do not wish anyone except for the enemy to have to deal with a questionable firearm. There was considerable official correspondence about issues with the M-16 and efforts were implemented to address issues experienced out in the field. Eventually things stabilized with the rifle and it became quite reliable.

·
Super Moderator
21,911 Posts
Dieudonné Saive at Fabrique Nationale gave us the Hi-Power as we know it today, not Mr. Browning. Saive completed it 9 years after JMB's death. What people who want to run down the old model 1911 don't seem to know is, John Browning had to work around what HAD been his own patents for the 1911, they were no longer his, but belonged to the US Government.

This is the last version of the Hi-Power he worked on before his death, he passed it on to Saive so he could work on his last completed design, his Superposed shotgun.

JMB Hi-Power.jpg

121 - 140 of 150 Posts