Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be installing a flat mainspring housing in my SA Mil-Spec as soon as the parts arrive. On a whim I ordered an extended tactical thumb safety as well. On one site (one of you showed me this site) they show how to strip down a 1911 in detail and they make it seem like it's easy to pop the old thumb safety out once the mainspring housing is out.

Is it this easy or am I missing something? :confused:

Enjoy Sunday!

Gideon

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Once the mainspring housing is out cock the hammer or hold it where it would be cocked then wiggle the safety out

It will come out half way between on and off

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Bless ya Bud - as usual first to the cause :smilez:

I'm gonna call you Roadrunner - for sheer speed! LOL! Oh wait, we have one already. Meep, meep :rofl:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Took mine to a local 'smith and asked him the same question. He said there's some minor fitting of the new part required in most cases and very few actually just drop in. I figured since this is going to be my carry weapon I want to know it's done right.

In my case I also needed to have the plunger assembly replaced. Total cost for the plunger, Ed Brown extended tactical safety and installation of both parts was $125. I wish I knew enough to fit the parts myself but at least I know it's done right.
Jack

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys live here? :blink: I can't believe that I posted this and within a minute or two, two moderators were all over it with answers! I'm sitting here finishing up work on sermons for tomorrow but I take a break every hour or so and check the site or get a cup of coffee.

Anyway, thanks guys, it did seem like it would be easy. The original thumb safety on the Mil-Spec is just a bit awkward for me. This new saftey should make it a lot more fluid to disengage on the draw.

Have a good night!
Gideon

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this Mil-Spec isn't my primary carry weapon so I'm going to try it. I wanted to go crazy and even though about paying Springfield $900 to turn it into a TRP but I've decided to not get carried away. I sure like 1911's though! I'd love to get the SA Micro but I've decided to just relax and save in my "1911 account" :yup:

So I'm just changing the MSH, thumb safety and adding slim grips on my Mil-Spec so it'll fit me better and then I plan on just doing a LOT of shooting with it. Someday I'd like to get a 4" officer frame for carry. Kimber makes an ultra carry close to that and it's about a Grand but I don't like the melt job on it. I really like the SA micro but wish they offered it in a 4" barrel in an all black version. They offered an army kote 3" version about 3 years ago but discontinued it.

I've looked at SA's Ultra Compact but I'm just not that fond of stainless. If I got that one, I'd want to send it back to SA for their SATIN finish but that seems crazy.

You see, I've been bitten by this 1911 bug...

So I'll keep using my Kahr and just shoot the tar out of the Springfield until one day I get the perfect carry 1911 for me.

Thanks guys...

Gideon

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Bud, what do you mean by fitting? Are we talking about a little filing so it'll go in? or do you mean taking a bit off the inside edge of the safety itself? What have you had to do in the past?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Do you guys live here?
Gideon - Bud says he is in MI - I say I am in PA. In fact we share the same cyber lounge - he is in chair/desk #4 and I use #5 - he usually beats me to a pulp in order to get first onto new stuff - now and again tho I outwit him thru subterfuge - pretending to go to restroom while actually firing up my laptop to get in quick :wink:

Oh and - if ya believe that - you'll believe anything LOL :image035:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
P95Carry said:
Gideon - Bud says he is in MI - I say I am in PA. In fact we share the same cyber lounge - he is in chair/desk #4 and I use #5 - he usually beats me to a pulp in order to get first onto new stuff - now and again tho I outwit him thru subterfuge - pretending to go to restroom while actually firing up my laptop to get in quick :wink:

Oh and - if ya believe that - you'll believe anything LOL :image035:

Desk 4 is closest to the snake machine and pop machine they why i like it

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Gideon said:
Hey Bud, what do you mean by fitting? Are we talking about a little filing so it'll go in? or do you mean taking a bit off the inside edge of the safety itself? What have you had to do in the past?

thanks!
Little filing on the safety stud .

Cant find the pics but if you search a 1911 forum it will give you ideal and pics if you don't want to get the Jerry k books

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I actually remove the thumb safety prior to removing the main spring housing.

Once the gun is field stripped it's the first thing I remove from the frame. Cock the hammer then wiggle the safety between 'on and off' and it will pull out easily.

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
Gideon,

You can try the new thumb safety without having the new MSH in place. You do not have to remove the MSH to changes thumb safeties. It may need a little filing of the lug that comes in contact with the sear.

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
You're welcome Bud. :wink:

·
Administrator
144,232 Posts
I live here

I have a small apartment in one of the forum back rooms.
Bumper lets me live there.
No Stove ~ Hot Plate, 2nd hand microwave, Fridge, & a mattress on the floor ~ Radio ~ No TV & a computer....Nothing fancy but, it's rent free but, the roof leaks.:biggrin2:

Be careful because the thumb safety is NOT always a "drop in" part. It absolutely needs to function correctly & you need to understand exactly how it works in order to fit it correctly. You need to know where to take the metal off.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, you've got my attention! I'll look at it when I take the old one off and compare it to some of the schematics I have. It's probably easy if someone were standing there to show you but the easiest thing can be pretty hard if you have to figure it out with emails and pictures....

I sure wish there was a good gunsmith locally that I could go to! The last one in this area that did alot of work around here went out of business and retired. Said it was too hard working to keep his license, or something to that effect....

Anyway, I'll check in when I get the parts in my hand to see "where" you take the metal off!

Thanks for the cautions! I'll definitely heed them!

Gideon

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Man QK, first you're a Senior Mod, then a Junior now a LEAD??? Did you buy Bumper a new Ed Brown or just do a lot of sucking up? :rofl:

·
Administrator
144,232 Posts
A lot of sucking up did the trick.

That & a brown leather attaché case filled with small denomination unmarked bills.:rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts