Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've started reading here I've been noticing 1911's are pretty well liked arms. For me one would be a very expensive investment, but I generally get what I want, sooner rather than later. I'd have to buy it on layaway or Credova financial, but that's doable for the right gun. I can usually pay those loans off in a month or two but they give me the luxury of knowing I have 12 months total. I would never think of going that long with those loan sharks though and paying twice what the purchase was originally. FWIW- I work for tips and get a fairly decent wage for where I live. I work three or four days a week and with normal tips make about 3k a month. It's ok with me since I'm nearly retired due to inability to walk very far or stand for any length of time. And it's better than total disability.

Anyway, back to 1911's. Is there one that's better than the others for $1200 or LESS?

I was perusing Grab-a-Gun and fell on looking at the 1911's. My preference in semi-autos has always been blued. I like shiny bright revolvers but pistols seem to look better blued in my eyes. Shiny blued is good too. My other preference is it be 9mm.

If it boiled down to finish color (bright and shiny or blued) it's not that important, the bright and shiny does look good, I'm just not a believer of- if it looks great, it's got to be great. I have a bright and shiny S&W air-weight .38sp. I bet it doesn't work any better than a blued one does.

Any 1911 brand will do, a smaller version will also do, it just needs to be of good, acceptable quality and all steel with fairly interchangeable (or easily sourced) parts.

Out of these: Sig, RI, Remy, Colt, PO, SA, ATI, EAA, Taurus, Walther, Llama, Browning, or MR, which is the go-to? I know some of these are not offered in 9mm.

I'm not trying to start a brand bashing contest, I really would like real personal likes and dislikes.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
You have a lot of 1911s to choose from for under your price point of $1,200. With the stipulation of 9mm in blue (or perhaps "black", which many manufactures have instead of the tradition blue), you are a little limited at this time. What barrel length? The traditional and original length was 5" for a 1911, but when Colt offered the Commander in 9mm, it was 4 1/4".

In a 5", take a look at the Springfield Range Officer, Remington R1 Enhanced, Dan Wesson Vigil, and Colt Competition. In a Commander length, look at the Colt Commander.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
I am a long-time 1911 guy, but I don't consider myself any expert. A guy I know is, though. He works at my LGS, is a gunsmith and a lifelong 1911 aficionado. He owns several now and has owned many of them in the past, including the high-end custom brands. We worked the VCDL booth at a gunshow recently and talked about it. His opinion we unequivocal. He said the best 1911s for the money right now are the Springfields, to the point that if he were buying a new 1911 that's what he would buy, even if he could afford a more expensive gun.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I like Colts, but I would buy the Springfield Defender Series Gov Model for +\- $500, to get my feet wet.
IMO, it’s the best value going. I love mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right now the 1911 market is soft as heck! Your best bet is to buy preowned & at that price Wesson has the best quality (no MIM) fit and finish. If going new is a requirement then go Colt, they are making great guns again. I’d steer clear of Springfield unless it’s a base gun for a build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Right now the 1911 market is soft as heck! Your best bet is to buy preowned & at that price Wesson has the best quality (no MIM) fit and finish. If going new is a requirement then go Colt, they are making great guns again. I’d steer clear of Springfield unless it’s a base gun for a build.

What is wrong with MIM?

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Colt, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Rock Island are all solid choices and I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. That being said you could buy a Rock Island for less than half your budget and maybe not have to finance it! I have never financed a gun even when I was a lowly E-3 being paid in Carters peanuts. Good luck! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
There are a few Dan Wesson’s that can be had for around $1200.

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
I picked up a Colt Competition Series in 9mm. It had a 100 rounds through it and I saved 20% from MSRP. Great gun. Feels like you're shooting a 22.

My Rock Island is a Tac Ultra in 45. Again, slightly used at about the same savings. A very solid gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Don’t go into debt for a pistol. You can pay it off in three months? So pay it off FIRST. Open a separate account and put money in over time. Then make the purchase. If you can make this a habit you can save an astounding amount of money. If you have the discipline to handle a firearm properly then you can do this. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
What is wrong with MIM?
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of pages on MIM quality vs tool steel - which I won’t summarize here. Suffice it to say MIM was adopted by manufacturers as a cost saving move not to improve quality. There is well made MIM and poor MIM, Springfield uses both and which you get depends on your luck.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Since I've started reading here I've been noticing 1911's are pretty well liked arms. For me one would be a very expensive investment, but I generally get what I want, sooner rather than later. I'd have to buy it on layaway or Credova financial, but that's doable for the right gun. I can usually pay those loans off in a month or two but they give me the luxury of knowing I have 12 months total. I would never think of going that long with those loan sharks though and paying twice what the purchase was originally. FWIW- I work for tips and get a fairly decent wage for where I live. I work three or four days a week and with normal tips make about 3k a month. It's ok with me since I'm nearly retired due to inability to walk very far or stand for any length of time. And it's better than total disability.

Anyway, back to 1911's. Is there one that's better than the others for $1200 or LESS?

I was perusing Grab-a-Gun and fell on looking at the 1911's. My preference in semi-autos has always been blued. I like shiny bright revolvers but pistols seem to look better blued in my eyes. Shiny blued is good too. My other preference is it be 9mm.

If it boiled down to finish color (bright and shiny or blued) it's not that important, the bright and shiny does look good, I'm just not a believer of- if it looks great, it's got to be great. I have a bright and shiny S&W air-weight .38sp. I bet it doesn't work any better than a blued one does.

Any 1911 brand will do, a smaller version will also do, it just needs to be of good, acceptable quality and all steel with fairly interchangeable (or easily sourced) parts.

Out of these: Sig, RI, Remy, Colt, PO, SA, ATI, EAA, Taurus, Walther, Llama, Browning, or MR, which is the go-to? I know some of these are not offered in 9mm.

I'm not trying to start a brand bashing contest, I really would like real personal likes and dislikes.
At that price point, I’d look for a used Dan Wesson.

The Springfield RO Elites are pretty nice, as well...you might be able to find a used TRP in that price range, come to think of it.

I wouldn’t look askance at a Kimber TLE...Kimber is putting out some really nice guns for a very good price right now.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
BINGO! :congrats:

Otherwise, it's just the Ford-Chevy-Dodge argument.
Dodge! :Winner2:

OP I would defer to the professionals and apparently they like the Springfield offerings. You will still have money for ammo to practice.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of pages on MIM quality vs tool steel - which I won’t summarize here. Suffice it to say MIM was adopted by manufacturers as a cost saving move not to improve quality. There is well made MIM and poor MIM, Springfield uses both and which you get depends on your luck.

Most parts on a handgun would see no benefit from tool-steel properties. If you know of particular issues with the brands people have suggested, that would be helpful.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts