Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I spent a while looking at some options. I do have a couple wants concerning how the gun should look. I haven't gone in search of how easy it would be to get a gun and change what I didn't like about it.

With that said, I have to admit I work on all my own guns. I am not a gunsmith and since I'm not I don't alter triggers or the corresponding mechanisms. But I am not afraid to disassemble a complicated firearm. I take my CZ82 down to pieces (32 of them actually) and never had any problems getting it back together and working correctly. However, I do a lot of research beforehand and if I think it's simply too complicated I won't. If special tools are required and they are not easily available or just too expensive, again, I won't.

Be that as it may, I narrowed my likes down to various manufacturers of the Commander model. 4.25" barrel, drilled trigger, and night sites. The problem I'm finding is the trigger on some of the ones I really like is solid. I've begun to see that there are some good guns at much less money than I was willing to spend. And that a drilled trigger seems to appear on guns of nearly the same model with a much higher price. If that extra money gains more than just a drilled trigger then it's likely worth the extra cash, if not, the trigger isn't worth it, so getting an aftermarket trigger (which I haven't checked into to see if it's even possible) would be the way to go.

Lots more searching to be done on those subjects.

·
Super Moderator
21,911 Posts
I spent a while looking at some options. I do have a couple wants concerning how the gun should look. I haven't gone in search of how easy it would be to get a gun and change what I didn't like about it.

With that said, I have to admit I work on all my own guns. I am not a gunsmith and since I'm not I don't alter triggers or the corresponding mechanisms. But I am not afraid to disassemble a complicated firearm. I take my CZ82 down to pieces (32 of them actually) and never had any problems getting it back together and working correctly. However, I do a lot of research beforehand and if I think it's simply too complicated I won't. If special tools are required and they are not easily available or just too expensive, again, I won't.

Be that as it may, I narrowed my likes down to various manufacturers of the Commander model. 4.25" barrel, drilled trigger, and night sites. The problem I'm finding is the trigger on some of the ones I really like is solid. I've begun to see that there are some good guns at much less money than I was willing to spend. And that a drilled trigger seems to appear on guns of nearly the same model with a much higher price. If that extra money gains more than just a drilled trigger then it's likely worth the extra cash, if not, the trigger isn't worth it, so getting an aftermarket trigger (which I haven't checked into to see if it's even possible) would be the way to go.

Lots more searching to be done on those subjects.
You'll find 3 hole triggers about anywhere that sells 1911 parts. (all of them may or may not have to be fitted)

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS881US881&biw=1098&bih=486&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=XiEjXsm4BImosgXJ4pTAAw&q=Three+hole+triggers+at+brownells&oq=Three+hole+triggers+at+brownells&gs_l=img.12...129259.194112..196313...6.0..0.53.881.18......0....1..gws-wiz-img.ZGht48zc2u8&ved=0ahUKEwjJ35bfuI3nAhUJlKwKHUkxBTgQ4dUDCAc

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Trigger-Ultralight-Match-Long-Standard-Pad/productinfo/190/

https://www.edbrown.com/product/trigger/

·
Registered
24 Posts
If all that is stopping you from buying a gun you like is the trigger, buy that gun and swap the trigger out. You've said you're not afraid to tear them apart. Triggers are pretty easy to install.

1911's in general are pretty simple to tear down and reassemble.

Good luck to you in your search!

Oh, and post pics when you do get one

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
As with many things, there are wants and there are needs, this is a want right now. I already bought seven guns in the last two months. My wife said to slow down some. All my purchases were inexpensive and cheap (4 Heritage rough riders, 2 CPX2's, and a Classic Firearms SKS type 56). I'm learning as I go, so I didn't want expensive guns to work on.

I've also got 6 AR's in various stages of completion, a black powder pistol that needs more in-letting, and last but not least a 1978 vintage, CVA double barrel 12 gauge, (black powder shotgun kit) that's completely finished but waiting to be browned. Those are just what I'm working on currently.

Nothing I do gets done quickly. The shotgun has been three or four years in the making. The AR's I started a few years year ago, one is totally operational at this point. I buy a part every now and again when something catches my eye. And since I already had a Yugo SKS I tried to not take the bait but I couldn't resist getting a Chinese version for my Christmas present to me. Turns out it came as an all matching numbers gun, including the stock. Bummer! I was hoping to get a frankengun so I could modify it the way I wanted to. But I'm not messing with all matching numbers. I just hope it shoots good. When the temps go above the freezing point of a witches bosom I'll go out and test it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Of the dozen + 1911s I've had, I've had the most trouble with Kimber with a total of four guns being problematic and requiring everything short of exorcism.

Never again.

The only sub $2k guns I'd be looking at, especially in 9mm would be Dan Wesson and STI.

And even then I'd toss the mags and buy all Wilsons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Similar to my experience.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
2K is really out of the question. Sub 1k or slightly more is doable, but less is always better in my book. I'm well aware that I'll get what I pay for. Except here in Iowa, where I generally get much less than I pay for.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I payed roughly 800 a piece for the Colts after tax because I bought them lightly used. I purchased the Springfield Defender series Gov model for 505 out da door.

So for 2100 bucks I have 3 very functional working class guns to choose from as I desire, and a back up for a back up if something breaks, and has to be fixed in one.....I believe in this protocol wholeheartedly.

Since July, I have spent about 1400.00 bucks in ammo, which is about 4000 rounds of ammo, not counting handloads that I have ran thru them....I have done a hell of a lot practice, sweat time, and bloody palms from blood blisters where I kept pinching my hands when being overzealous with slamming the reload home, in an attempt to totally become as good as I can with these guns.

My advice is to pick something, get a back up to it, and then spend money on ammo and training time. There are a lot of good quality guns out there, and you don’t need to spend big money to get decent quality for the level the average person will do with it.

I hope to Hell I have the opportunity to run any of these guns hard enough, and often enough to break something.
3F9E62B5-2244-4069-99B0-A93449D45D09.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
I payed roughly 800 a piece for the Colts after tax because I bought them lightly used. I purchased the Springfield Defender series Gov model for 505 out da door.

So for 2100 bucks I have 3 very functional working class guns to choose from as I desire, and a back up for a back up if something breaks, and has to be fixed in one.....I believe in this protocol wholeheartedly.

Since July, I have spent about 1400.00 bucks in ammo, which is about 4000 rounds of ammo, not counting handloads that I have ran thru them....I have done a hell of a lot practice, sweat time, and bloody palms from blood blisters where I kept pinching my hands when being overzealous with slamming the reload home, in an attempt to totally become as good as I can with these guns.

My advice is to pick something, get a back up to it, and then spend money on ammo and training time. There are a lot of good quality guns out there, and you don’t need to spend big money to get decent quality for the level the average person will do with it.

I hope to Hell I have the opportunity to run any of these guns hard enough, and often enough to break something.
View attachment 311478
Same here.

I don't have to have a "NEW" gun. "NEW TO ME" works just as well. The two hundred I saved buying the Colt Comp Series with two boxes of ammo through it paid for a thousand rounds of ammo.

Don't get caught up in the mindset that "PRE-OWNED GUNS ARE JUNK", they're usually not. There are some very good deals to be had, if you are patient and keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Same here.

I don't have to have a "NEW" gun. "NEW TO ME" works just as well. The two hundred I saved buying the Colt Comp Series with two boxes of ammo through it paid for a thousand rounds of ammo.

Don't get caught up in the mindset that "PRE-OWNED GUNS ARE JUNK", they're usually not. There are some very good deals to be had, if you are patient and keep your eyes open.
Yep. And if you buy it at a place where they have an indoor range, like Buds here in Lexington, Since it’s used, they will let you shoot it for a few bucks, and if you like it, those few bucks go towards the purchase. If ya don’t, they keep the money. You can’t go wrong there!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yep. And if you buy it at a place where they have an indoor range, like Buds here in Lexington, Since it’s used, they will let you shoot it for a few bucks, and if you like it, those few bucks go towards the purchase. If ya don’t, they keep the money. You can’t go wrong there!
Dang, I wish there was anyplace like that around here.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Buds will do that on a used gun? Man, I only live about an hour and half from Buds in Seviereville, TN. Had no idea they offered that!

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Buds will do that on a used gun? Man, I only live about an hour and half from Buds in Seviereville, TN. Had no idea they offered that!
Well now ya do. Next time you're looking for something new, make a day of it and try a few.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I don’t think it’s something they advertise, and it may not be a common practice, but I am a long time customer before Buds was a thing.

If I’m serious about buying a used gun, they will charge me a rental and range fee, and let me shoot the gun. If I don’t buy, they keep the money. If I do, the money is applied to the gun.

If I were you, and wanted to buy something, you should ask them.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I am a long-time 1911 guy, but I don't consider myself any expert. A guy I know is, though. He works at my LGS, is a gunsmith and a lifelong 1911 aficionado. He owns several now and has owned many of them in the past, including the high-end custom brands. We worked the VCDL booth at a gunshow recently and talked about it. His opinion we unequivocal. He said the best 1911s for the money right now are the Springfields, to the point that if he were buying a new 1911 that's what he would buy, even if he could afford a more expensive gun.
Interesting post as I am considering a Springfield Professional 1911 .45 ACP.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I'm feeling like a pogo stick. This one, that one, this one, ....they all seem good. The prevailing opinion has me looking at what's available in the lower price ranges, relatively speaking.

One thing opinion has done for sure is to have me look at the one indoor range I'm within a 100 miles from. They rent a couple of the 1911's I've narrowed it down to, as well as some I haven't even considered. So I might bite the bullet and take a day to go down and see how nervous I'll be having to abide by rules I've never had to deal with before. I don't even know some of the rules I read they have. :embarassed: it's not that I disagree with some of them, well yeah, I do disagree with some of them, but it's not my shop.

I think when it's all over I'll stick with my backyard range and buy just on looks and wants. I can always sell it if it doesn't work out. But even that never happens, I've only sold one gun since I started collecting/building them over 15 years ago and I regret it every time I think about it.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts