Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was in the same fix , trying to figure out what to buy. I never buy new always used so I try to find the best bargain for the money. There has been a lot of 1911 threads lately and I got the “itch”. Been looking for about 2 months and I came across two that I bought. Just picked them up at the FFL’s today. Good luck hunting.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ain’t nuthin’ wrong with the Remington R1 1911.
A great value for under $500 (bought mine new two years ago for $399 after a cash rebate promo), with very good fit & finish. It shoots where I point it and hasn’t failed yet.

E6E160B5-AF4E-4B5E-AAD0-BB9C954E0442.jpeg

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I was in the same fix , trying to figure out what to buy. I never buy new always used so I try to find the best bargain for the money. There has been a lot of 1911 threads lately and I got the “itch”. Been looking for about 2 months and I came across two that I bought. Just picked them up at the FFL’s today. Good luck hunting.....
I'd be interested in knowing what you bought and how you like them. How they fit big hands, small hands, fit, finish, etc.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
This may take awhile. I haven't been getting many hours at work due to weather related issues for the last couple of weeks so money will be tight for a month or so.

I drive for a living and when the roads are bad I don't drive. Not me, I'm willing, but the company I work for has some bug about safety they can't get over. :ticking: Around this house it's feast or famine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't have an M1911... I carried one for more than 15 years in the Army, and the WW2/Korea/Vietnam hand-me-downs that we were issued were so rattly and worn down that you took two boxes of ammo to the range for qualification - one to "register" the weapon to see where the hell it was hitting in relation to what you were aiming at, then the second box to try and qualify with. I had a personal M1911 back then, but traded it off for a Beretta when the Army transitioned to the new pistol.

These days, I do have -and like- 45s, I have a Shield 45 which gives me the same firepower as an M1911 ina much smaller package, and a Glock 41, which gives me double the capacity and reliability, also in a nicer, lighter package.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
when it comes to 1911 purists MIM is a dark cloud but on guns like glocks and sigs
it goes under the radar. (powdered metal vs forged)
When it comes to 1911s most guys have no idea what they own ,its branding that wins.
My question was rhetorical. The answer is with quality MIM there is nothing wrong and sometimes superior to some other materials depending on the application and the part. Slide stops, safeties etc are fine. You talk 1911 purists, crap, if it's not a GOV issue Colt or Colt clone its not a 1911 to them.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Yup.………..all mine are Series 70...….it's not a .45 unless it has a "Horse on it"...…...not withstanding my Glock.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Yup.………..all mine are Series 70...….it's not a .45 unless it has a "Horse on it"...…...not withstanding my Glock.
The Pony and Mustang have horses on it and they are 380’s.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Wise guy...………..Hmmmm.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
TalTexan, that's a nice one!

While my paycheck is on hiatus I will be doing more reading of reviews on 1911's and looking forward to more opinions here. All of the good, the bad, and the ugly, works for me. While I am willing to pay for a good quality gun, I don't always care to pay for just a name. Names don't always equate to quality, especially these days. What I am seeing however, is that the majority of 1911's I seem look at simply for looks are in the $500-$900 range. No particular brand names. I'm now looking at all finishes: SS, blued, and that muchly not liked - cerakote. I might be dissuaded from disliking cerakote but I have painted pistols already and as a coating, regardless of it's durability, it just makes any firearm look ....painted. YUCK! My CZ82's and PHP's notwithstanding. :wink:

Are there any 1911 clones to just stay far away from? Real well known reason's, not just the 'they sell cheap, so they are cheap' reason's? (although I understand that is often true, just not always true). I'll be looking on my own but I never took an Evelyn Woods speed reading course!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
As I have said earlier I really don't know squat about 1911's but, the first one I bought just last summer was a used Para lightweight commander for $425. Don't know about MIM, series 70 vs 80 or anything else except its an ultra reliable laser beam of a handgun and I am very happy with it. Maybe it was to my advantage to have little knowledge this time. I just liked the balance and feel of the gun as well as the traditional looks and took a chance. I did always want the whole "1911 experience" though meaning barrel bushing, GI recoil setup,etc.
Para commander.jpg
It may be a low brow attitude but, when a gun preforms like this one does all the little technical stuff means very little to me. I am enjoying my journey into the 1911 world.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
As I have said earlier I really don't know squat about 1911's but, the first one I bought just last summer was a used Para lightweight commander for $425. Don't know about MIM, series 70 vs 80 or anything else except its an ultra reliable laser beam of a handgun and I am very happy with it. Maybe it was to my advantage to have little knowledge this time. I just liked the balance and feel of the gun as well as the traditional looks and took a chance. I did always want the whole "1911 experience" though meaning barrel bushing, GI recoil setup,etc.
View attachment 311980
It may be a low brow attitude but, when a gun preforms like this one does all the little technical stuff means very little to me. I am enjoying my journey into the 1911 world.
Well, that’s a nice gun. I had the LTC PARA, which is a lot like yours, and it worked fine.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
351 Posts
After gifting all three of my 1911s (Colt, SA, Remington) to my sons & DIL, all I have left of JMB’s design is this little brother...

D475AA4B-09AE-488F-BD65-5B0088478A58.jpeg

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my opinion, if you can find a Dan Wesson in that range go for it but since you probably won't, I'd definitely look at the Springfield RO series.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts