Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Need some help. My oldest Boy is turning 12 years old soon and I wont to get hem he’s first Gun for he’s birthday. Should I get hem a 20gage shotgun or a 22 rifle? In your opinion what would be the better chose to teach hem the fundamentals of gun ownership.
Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
.22 rifle. Les expensive,less recoil, less noise. If he is anticipating the recoil, he might be jerking or flinching. Basics are easy to teach without the recoil. Maybe look into NRA JR. programs if he enjoys shooting. sure taught me more about fine rifle control than even my dad knew. Every kid should get a .22 bolt gun.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I'd start out with a nice .22 LR rifle....perhaps a bolt action.

If you elect to go the semi-auto route then I recommend the fine Ruger 10/22.

After explaining the mechanics of his first rifle, safety, stances, ammo choices, etc. and he demonstrates an increased level of proficency and interest, maybe then get him into shotgunning.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
20ga is more versatile. Bird shot or slugs. Might be pricier than a .22, but you get two with one stone. My first gun was a NEF Pardner 20ga 26" single shot break action shotgun. Kmart special for $70 back in '93. Still have it. I would rather have that than a .22, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
If you go bolt gun , you can use .22 short, long or LR. CB rounds are great starting out , because no need for earplugs , and easy to instruct with.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
ruger or marlin .22 would be my vote

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'd go with the .22LR. The 10/22 is probably the best bang for the buck and it is the rifle that I learned on.

Wait until he is a little older for the shotgun. I think the first time I fired a shotgun was at age 13.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
.22 rifle and a WHOLE lot of ammo.
He'll have it forever. I still have mine and I'm 60 and shoot it to death.

AFS

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have to agree with the .22 crowd. After I graduated from the BB gun, I started off with a Marlin .22, It died several years ago and I replaced it with a 10-22. That is going to be my sons first gun.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yes, another vote for the .22 rifle. It is something every gun owner should have in the armory and for a young shooter starting out it gives everything they need for learning good skills, safety rules and of course - cheap to run!

Small gauge shottie is good but for me that'd be #2 on the list - further down the line.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Where I grew up, a lot of the boys would get out of school for dove season. As I recall, those that started with shotguns generally started with .410. Those of us who started out plinking, like I did with my grandfather, started on .22's. If I were you, I would start him on .22, and once he had the basics of marksmanship and maintenance down, then expand to shotguns.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a rossi pump .22 and love it. The 10-22 is great because you can customize to your liking (stocks, magazines, etc). Most importantly is the time you spend with your child and HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Shotgun....

I have to say a shotgun. I started out at about the same age, with a 16gauge double. This was given to me by my Grandfather who also taught me how to properly handle a firearm. The hunting trips we enjoyed, instilled in me respect for the animals we were harvesting and also helped me learn, the leathal nature of the weapon that I was now responsible for...

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I would get him a Marlin Bolt action 22.Thats what I got my oldest daughter but I got hers in 22 magnum so she could use it for more than target practice.

·
Registered
813 Posts
.22 rifle for all the reasons mentioned. Another great option is the
.17HMR. Better distance and flatter projectile, better for varmint hunting, more room to "grow" with the gun. Hornady has some awesome ammo out for these. Price point on the rifle is not far off from a good quality LR.

This is a great page and must see resource for .17 test results:
http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Another vote for .22. Couple of opinions here. A 10/22 is a good gun and versatile and will last forever. I was tought on a single shot bolt .22. The idea being that it forces you to learn the basics of shooting and to make every shot count. Have to use good form and plan each shot. Graduate from there to something with more firepower after the basics of good riflemanship are learned.

Shotguns don't focus enough on the concentration and thinking through the steps for a first gun.

My two cents worth, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
To add, shotguns will not teach precision or fine motor trigger control like a rifle will. Also , try to find a short stock so it fits your youngster. My 9 yr. old likes shooting the AR better than the .22 , because the AR has the collaps. stock. (shorter length of pull).

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Put me in the .22 rifle column, as well. Good choice to learn gun safety and marksmanship with....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts