Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked many times but I would like to try again. I'm looking to purchase my first handgun and I'm wondering if I go with the one found on Armslist or the one from the LGS? I've chatted with the used gun owner and he states there is roughly 300 rounds through it and it's about a year old. He has the original receipt for it. Asking 420. Or I go with the LGS and purchase it new for 550. Or actually purchase used from them for 470.

Trying to decided what's the benefits of doing each besides the lower cost. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
537 Posts
For a first gun, I would go used. You are likely to find that it wasn't quite what you were looking for any you want something else. I ended up selling my first handgun because it wasn't the right gun for me. I still toy with the idea of selling my second handgun. I didn't get a handgun that I REALLY liked until my third handgun. As for the benefits of buying new, you get the factory warranty and the satisfaction of being the first person to fire the gun outside of the factory. So for now, buy used and remember that guns are like potato chips: you can't have just one.

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
My first gun was a well used S&W j frame 5 shot chief's special. A wonderful, wonderful gun and well broken in which meant a super smooth trigger pull. I've bought both new and used revolvers and semi autos over the years.

·
Super Moderator
18,019 Posts
The majority of my guns were purchased used since I am not infatuated with the latest fantastic plastic wonder guns, do your research on what you are thinking of owning and the current prices. Here is a website that offers some things to look for in used guns.

How to Buy a Used Handgun - Article - POLICE Magazine

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
What gun?

Me first gun esp carry I would get it BNIB ..You get the full warnety and know the history of the gun and that it is a clean so to speak

Relibity most modern guns tend to to last pretty good

But know the gun your getting and what to look for ie looking over a wheel gun is different then checking out a 1911

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would say buy what you can afford. But more importantly shoot something similar to what you are going to buy. If you don't like it you won't carry it. If there is some place you can get your hands on one and shoot it. There are benefits to buying internet or LGS. Having a good relationship with your LGS can work out in better deals down the road. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first one was used. Mainly because of the cost but also because of what it was. I don't think there is a 'benefit' one way or the other except that maybe the savings will afford you more ammo with which to learn your new sidekick. The real benefit either way is that you get a new handgun- and that is always a happy day!

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
More than half my guns are used. If it is from S&W (M&P series only), Glock, Sig, Ruger I wouldn't worry too much about it being used. You still need to do your due diligence and look it over carefully and ideally field strip it. Then you should be good to go. If it is not one of the brands listed above I would go with a new model and hope that they are not one of the manufacturers that are legendary for poor QC and customer service! Good luck!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
There are many varieties of modern handguns that are virtually impossible to "wear-out" (beyond very-inexpensive repair) by round count. Me? I like to develope a friendly buying-relationship with my LGS. It's saved me a lot of time & money over the years. Go buy used from your LGS. Get familiar with the OWNER if possible. Then TRY TO... run the guts right outta' that pistol. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are many varieties of modern handguns that are virtually impossible to "wear-out" (beyond very-inexpensive repair) by round count. Me? I like to develope a friendly buying-relationship with my LGS. It's saved me a lot of time & money over the years. Go buy used from your LGS. Get familiar with the OWNER if possible. Then TRY TO... run the guts right outta' that pistol. :biggrin2:
I agree having a relationship is a good thing when purchasing anything ... then work in a couple of range sessions into the deal (if they have one attached) and you're way ahead!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
First gun was a Remington 870 pump new from JC Penny's catalog. Since I have bought new and used.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I have bought a few new handguns, and lots....... of used ones. like Ghost Tracker said above you will never wear one out! I recently passed to my youngest twins a S&W model 10 from 1917 and a 1911 from 1919. Both have been shot a lot, Both have some holster wear, But both still shoot like new. And both of them came with some history. Unless a used gun has been abused I would not avoid it. I do not worry about round counts at all.

In all the guns I have looked at I have seen a lot of beat up and abused guns but only a couple of "Worn out" ones.

Personally I would be comfortable buying from either the private owner or the LGS which ever had the nicer gun. Good luck DR

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
By now I know enough about guns that I can do kitchen table gunsmithing if there's a problem. Unless it's a serious issue I can typically make it work. A new gun owner usually doesn't have either the knowledge or the tools, so it's better to buy brand new. Many folks sell their guns because they got lemons, if you're unlucky you could end up with one of these.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For a first gun, I'd recommend to buy new. If you have to buy used, I'd recommend from a LGS, not a random seller online. Online, you have to trust what they say, but who knows the whole story? At least from an LGS they may take it back or have some kind of recourse if you get a lemon. Buying new gives you a baseline to start from.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm in the buy from your LGS group. For used guns, my LGS will let you shoot it to make sure it's what you want. At a LGS, the used guns are usually trade-ins for something else. From a private party (i.e. Internet), you never know what you're getting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. Lost of good ideas and good reading. The gun I'm thinking about getting is a Springfield 9mm SC Mod 2. He is asking $420 and states it's a year old bought at a LGS. Still has receipt he says. Roughly 300 rounds through it.

Worth it??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
My first several guns were used. I was lucky because they were in good condition and functioned well. I got them online from sites that had sellers that had flawless or almost flawless feedback posted.

My last several have been new. I've been lucky with those as well.

Regardless of whether it is new or used I read a lot of reviews and try to be fully informed before I slap down several hundred dollars for a purchase.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I guess it depends on whether you know what you are looking at or not. Most modern used guns in fact see very little shooting. A guy may buy it for self defense, fire twenty rounds through it, and leave it in his nightstand ever after. Or not. Don't be afraid of a used gun. Talk to a knowledgeable person about it and if it looks good and the price is right, go for it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts