Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my first time back at the range in over four months, and the very first time since I had XS 24/7 Big Dot Tritium Express Set sights installed on my Sig P229.

Photo 1: Five sets of triple taps at three yards. I brought the firearm up from a low ready position and fired three quick shots as soon as I had the “I” dotted inside the upper thorax box. I was shooting with a two-handed grip and both eyes open.

Photo 2: Five sets of double taps at three yards. I used the same procedure as in photo 1 (expect for sighting inside the face rectangle). I know that the two shots above the left eye were in the same group, and the two flyers were two separate second shots.

Photo 3: Five slow single shots at three yards. I was using the same two-handed grip, but with one eye closed this time.

Photo 4: A close-up with a 1-1/2” diameter circle around the bullet holes.

Photo 5: Another five slow single shots at three yards using the same grip and only one eye.

Photo 6: A close-up with a 1” square around the bullet holes.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
3 yards.............who needs a sight.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts

My G17 with XS Big Dots. Ran a drill 5rounds in ten seconds. Two handed strong then weak side. One handed strong and weak. I was at ten yards . I did fair that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: rjinga

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First Shots in Over 4 Months with the New Sights

Photo 1: Shots one through five. Shooting slowly at 3 yds. with one eye closed. I got three shots within the 1-3/4" diameter circle, with a forth touching it. All five shots are within a 1-1/4" square (the printed squares are 1"). I put the big dot on the X; I think it was me, not the sights, causing the shots to go left.

Photo 2: Shots six through ten. Shooting slowly at 7 yds. with one eye closed. All five shots easily within a 1-1/4" x 2" rectangle.

Photo 3: Shots eleven through fifteen. Shooting slowly at 3 yds. with both eyes open. I got one shot in the 1-3/4" diameter circle, with a second touching it. All five shots squeeze into a 1-1/4" x 1" rectangle. Still going left. (The numbers are upside down because I flipped the target after shooting at the first two bull-eyes.)

Photo 4: Shots sixteen through twenty-one (I lost count and fired six rounds). Shooting slowly at 7 yds. with both eyes opened. These were kind of all over the place; however, all five shots were within the 5-1/2" diameter circle, with three of those inside, or touching, the 3-1/2" diameter circle.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I've had them on a few pistols- I just can't warm up to em. In fact, I'll probably be putting up a set for a M&P here soon

Reactions: rjinga

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm an older dog (56) who didn't get his first handgun until after I turned 50. So, unless it's just a really bad habit, I train toward my natural tendencies. And, while I do practice point-shooting from the hip and 3/4 position, if I bring the firearm up to head level, my natural tendency is to look for the front sight. The problem was, with the standard three-post sights, too many times my bi-focal assisted eyes thought one of the back posts was the front post, and that was enough to make me miss my target. That's not a problem with the Big Dot.

Reactions: SWIll

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Thanks, but I was hoping to see the big dot looking down the sights.
Sis you install them yourself?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Had them on the Glocks I used to own.....they worked just fine for me.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, but I was hoping to see the big dot looking down the sights.
Sis you install them yourself?
Well, you didn't say that! :blink:
FYI - taking these photos was a lot harder than I imagined.

Attachments

Reactions: Struckat and AzQkr

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Well, you didn't say that! :blink:
FYI - taking these photos was a lot harder than I imagined.
right there is what I love about a Dot-the-i sight in the 2nd picture, you instantly see any deviation in muzzle alignment. from the camera/eye point of view the muzzle is veered slightly to the right and that shows up so well on that rear post

·
Registered
426 Posts
I installed a set of XS Big Dots on my M&P9C and experienced the same results as rjinga*. I absolutely love these sights. I shoot on a regular basis (at least once a week) and these sights improve my grouping immensely. I wear tri-focal glasses and had a real problem with seeing both the target and the sights, not any more. If I don't hit the same hole in the paper target it's because I did something wrong. These sights make me a much better shot than I am. Just dot the "I" and it's a hit, every time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts