Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as stated above this is my first ever post here. I am from north Arkansas and finally got my wife set with a S&W Bodyguard and she loved it. So now on to me. Needing some help on what to look for and what to carry..
Right now i am eyeing the Sig P938 really hard. I like the 9mm and with advancements in ammo the way it has been now days it has a lot of stopping power but is it enough???

This is what i am here. I am 5-8 and weight right at 195 LB i am short and stocky. I do not wear real tight shirts. I will carry in the 4 oclock range to side IWB.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your opinions!!!!

Thanks in advance....

Oh if it helps. I am very active as i run a large print shop and auto customizing shop daily..

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I pocket carry the Sig 938. Look at the shield in 9mm. Not much bigger and nice shooter. Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pocket carry the Sig 938. Look at the shield in 9mm. Not much bigger and nice shooter. Welcome!
Thanks for the info. I dont think i want to pocket carry as i normally have things that are in my pocket that dont allow me to and well i just dont like it if i am sitting down. I donno seems as if it would make me feel awkward if i had to draw..

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you get a 938 you have to carry that locked and cocked called condition one. For a newbie I would not recommend that. Look at the Shield, Glock 43, Walther PPS M2, Ruger LC9s PRO Glock 26, Smth and Wesson M&Pcompact Try to rent them to shoot at the range. Then any of those you can't go wrong with. Buy the one you feel most comfortable with and can shoot well. In a flight or fight situation your fine motor skills are taken over by gross motor skills and unless you have trained consistently with flicking off the safety with your thumb it's not recommended. Even the police use Glocks, [email protected] etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
How much shooting have you done with a pistol? Do you know if you want a safety or not? Do you know if you want a single action trigger or another type. The small Sig 938 is single action only I believe (maybe someone else knows for sure). As far as 9mm, it is fine for a defensive round.
Also take a look at the M&P Shield, Glock 43, and Walther PPS M2.

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
You have enough real estate to carry something much larger since you don't want to pocket carry. The smallest gun I holster carry is an M&P9C, the largest is a modified Glock 21.

Reactions: OD* and mhl6493

·
Registered
270 Posts
IMO, to answer your question, yes, 9mm is enough. There are some excellent 9mm self defense rounds available that should not let you feeling under gunned or under caliber as the case may be. Also, as 9mm FMJ is one of the least expensive so hopefully, that will mean more rounds down range and training time. This is key for both you and your wife. If you're new to firearms, I'd strongly suggest some training classes.

As for as a recommendation for a CCW, I'm a Glock guy so I'd suggest getting to a range and trying the G26 and G43. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am far from new with guns. I have been shooting my whole life. I competition shot with riffles up until i was about 20. I ma just newer on a gun to carry.. I had the glock 43 but did not really like the fill of the gun.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The p938 is a great gun. I love mine in the Equinox variety. But, if I'm carrying IWB, I'm carrying something bigger with more capacity. The 938 is in my rotation just for pocket or ankle carry when absolutely necessary. I'm 5'6" and weigh about 210, so I wrote the book on short and stocky. I can easily get away with carrying a 1911 commander or Glock 19 sized gun in a Vedder Holsters 4-way Belly Band at 4:00-4:30, as long as I wear loose-fitting button-up shirts.

So if I were in your position, I'd try something with a larger capacity first before I settled for a p938-sized gun. But that's just me - you know your circumstances far better than I. And yes, I think 9mm is probably enough - though I must admit I like the size of those big 'ol .45 slugs! :wink: Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
9 mm with premium ammo will do the job. If not reloading the 9 mm FMJ is more affordable a practice round than the bigger stuff.
Gun types are somewhat a personal preference thing - you just have to try them. For daily CC a Kahr PM9 is what I carry most often. A FIST K2 High Ride OWB
KYDEX : #K2 KYDEX HIGH RIDE shows less bulge then most IWB holsters and is more comfortable.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum! A good 9mm with a quality bonded 124 gr--147gr projectile will do fine against 2 legged predators...as long as barricades don't come into play. The Sig 938 is a fine handgun as is the aforementioned S&W Shield. Either would be a great c/c handgun! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
4:00 carry will wear holes in your furniture and car seats.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
I'm going to steer you away from very compact guns, especially since you said you're not going to pocket carry. Find a gun you like that affords you a full 3-finger grip. The short-grip guns that force you to curl your pinky finger under the base of the mag deny you some extra support and stability that help you make good hits. Something the size of an S&W Shield would be the smallest I'd recommend.

Depending on your budget, there are some great Sigs and CZs and HKs out there at the upper price level, with Rugers and Glocks and M&Ps in the middle ground. Find a gun that fits your hand and which has the type of action you like best - striker-fired, decocking double action, or single action. Don't discount the latter, it's not as scary or "expert only" as some make it out to be. It's actually a great starting place for learning to shoot semi-automatic pistols from the standpoint of an uncomplicated trigger and a simple manual safety.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Sig 938 really nice, but really expensive. Kind of like a POCKET 1911. If 1911 style is your thing get it. Me I like Full Size (G17 ) Carry Small Sub compacts Glocks G26 & G43, M&P Shield (9mm), I would go with gasmitty's post #14

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Not yet mentioned, not as popular, I enjoy 10mm 1911 as a carry option. If you are able, rent a few different guns suggested and spend a box on each to help you decide.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
And shirts.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Opinions vary, but I think 9mm is fine. My EDC is a G17 in a N82 pro at about 3-4 (when conceal). You would be surprised at the size of a pistol that can be concealed under an untucked t-shirt. OWB is also easy under an untucked flannel. I'd go big first and you'll have a good home defense pistol if it doesn't carry well on you.

We also have a Ruger LC9s Pro that we shoot better than all the others. Worth looking at if you prefer a smaller pistol. It can almost be concealed while OCing. It is my wife's EDC.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Might take a look at the Colt Defender. 45 or 9mm

1 - 20 of 48 Posts