Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night around 2245 or so I was pulled over for speeding (55 in a 45) after getting stuck working a 16 hour shift yesterday. I pulled over and when the officer arrived at my window I presented my license, insurance, and license to carry and notified the officer that I was carrying. (Texas has a duty to inform on first contact) She took my paperwork and ask me where my firearm was and asked that I leave it there while she ran my information. Long story short, I was let go with a warning. All in all it was not a bad experience, other than being at the end of an 18 hour day. Not sure if my honesty about carrying had any impact on just receiving a warning or not, but I'm thankful just the same!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have been stopped 3 times since been carrying. Two ask me to leave it where it was and the 3rd asked me to hand it to him loaded. I told him I would unload the weapon and he said no. he struggled unloading it. When he returned with my pistol I loaded it and re holstered it in front of him and then signed the ticket. It didn't make any since why he took it. I guess for his safety.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've been stopped twice while carrying. Once the officer told me to leave it there and the second time the cop jokingly said "just don't shoot me" and walked back to his car to run my info.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You put her mind at ease. She knows that bad guys won't tell her they're carrying. With all that's been going on with cops lately, I'm willing to bet that even a routine traffic stop gets the adrenaline pumping.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Last night around 2245 or so I was pulled over for speeding (55 in a 45) after getting stuck working a 16 hour shift yesterday. I pulled over and when the officer arrived at my window I presented my license, insurance, and license to carry and notified the officer that I was carrying. (Texas has a duty to inform on first contact) She took my paperwork and ask me where my firearm was and asked that I leave it there while she ran my information. Long story short, I was let go with a warning. All in all it was not a bad experience, other than being at the end of an 18 hour day. Not sure if my honesty about carrying had any impact on just receiving a warning or not, but I'm thankful just the same!
I'm in Texas, also. Been stopped a couple of times since I've been carrying. My experience was pretty much identical to yours. Well, except that one of times, I collected the speeding ticket :frown:

Reactions: Kinzei

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have only been stopped once while carrying.

It was about 35 years ago in GA and I was carrying a BHP with two extra 13 rnd magazines. I was stopped on a motorcycle for doing about 13 miles over. I remember the officer asking me if I was expecting a war. He had me follow him down to the station to pay the ticket - I think he was just unhappy that I had a permit and was carrying.

Well, when all was said and done, he gave me back my pistol at the front desk. As soon as I had it back, I loaded it and holstered it right there in the front lobby in front of him. I wished him a good day and walked out. It was a very satisfying feeling.

That incident stands out so clearly in my mind because it is the only negative experience I have ever had with LEO's while carrying, and even then, it wasn't all that bad. Everybody was very polite and nobody overtly tried to harass me. The officer just required me to follow hm down to the station to pay the ticket rather than giving me the ticket and letting me go.

Since then I have had several encounters over the years while I have been carrying and not had anything other than nice conversation. Every once in a while I will run across an officer that either doesn't like guns, or does not agree with anybody carrying one, but still never had a bad experience.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in TX also and have only been stopped once with a pistol in the truck. It was in the lock box under my center console. He had me step out of the truck while he ran my info. Can't really blame him for it, though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ran out of gas and was walking to get some last year and a LE stopped and asked if I needed a ride to get gas which I accepted his offer. Before letting me in the car has asked if I was armed and I told him yes. He asked where it was and he removed it from my person. Very friendly, I had just had a tooth pulled and he could tell and asked about my dentist. He dropped me at the gas station and handed me my pistol and placed the loaded mag on the curb and asked that I wait till he left before loading. I asked him if he didn't want to see my CPL and he didn't seem to interested but looked at it very briefly. I can only assume that he believed in law abiding citizens being armed. Very good experience.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was handled in a very casual manner . I actually finished eating my hamburger that I had just got while she finished running my information. My pistol was in my center console. It seemed like business as usual for the officer.

Reactions: 9MMare

·
Registered
588 Posts
Only been stopped once while carrying. No duty to inform in MA, but I did since I was in my town, and figured he'd see it on computer anyway. He only gave me a warning (I was speeding), but this veteran officer advised me to NOT inform in the future. He said if I get the "wrong" officer, they might make a big deal (disarm, etc.). I'm taking his advice and won't inform in the future...at least not here, NH, and ME where I am not required to do so.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I have been stopped 3 times since been carrying. Two ask me to leave it where it was and the 3rd asked me to hand it to him loaded. I told him I would unload the weapon and he said no. he struggled unloading it. When he returned with my pistol I loaded it and re holstered it in front of him and then signed the ticket. It didn't make any since why he took it. I guess for his safety.
Never, never remove your sidearm in the presence of an LEO. Tell them that they can remove it but you will not do this.

Reason: If a backup officer happens upon the scene and sees you removing your gun, he may not know what transpired for you to do this and he just may pull his and open fire on you. If a police officer wants you disarmed, let him do it. Do NOT do it yourself. You might also add that you do not consent to being disarmed but will not interfere with them disarming you.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
You put her mind at ease. She knows that bad guys won't tell her they're carrying. With all that's been going on with cops lately, I'm willing to bet that even a routine traffic stop gets the adrenaline pumping.
He said that informing is state law in Texas so he has no choice in the matter. He must inform.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I have only been stopped once while carrying.

It was about 35 years ago in GA and I was carrying a BHP with two extra 13 rnd magazines. I was stopped on a motorcycle for doing about 13 miles over. I remember the officer asking me if I was expecting a war. He had me follow him down to the station to pay the ticket - I think he was just unhappy that I had a permit and was carrying.
Why? He has a permit to carry so why shouldn't you? And since you're not unhappy he carries, why should he be unhappy that you carry?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I ran out of gas and was walking to get some last year and a LE stopped and asked if I needed a ride to get gas which I accepted his offer. Before letting me in the car has asked if I was armed and I told him yes. He asked where it was and he removed it from my person. Very friendly, I had just had a tooth pulled and he could tell and asked about my dentist. He dropped me at the gas station and handed me my pistol and placed the loaded mag on the curb and asked that I wait till he left before loading. I asked him if he didn't want to see my CPL and he didn't seem to interested but looked at it very briefly. I can only assume that he believed in law abiding citizens being armed. Very good experience.
He couldn't have believed too much in law abiding citizens carrying because he disarmed you when you were in his presence. Seems to me he thinks it's okay for him to carry but maybe not so much for us to do the same.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Only been stopped once while carrying. No duty to inform in MA, but I did since I was in my town, and figured he'd see it on computer anyway. He only gave me a warning (I was speeding), but this veteran officer advised me to NOT inform in the future. He said if I get the "wrong" officer, they might make a big deal (disarm, etc.). I'm taking his advice and won't inform in the future...at least not here, NH, and ME where I am not required to do so.
That's a sad situation. We do not have to inform here in Virginia so the decision as to whether or not we may wish to do this is totally up to us. I tend to treat it on a case by case basis... how I perceive the officer's attitude and such. But then I virtually never get stopped and haven't had a ticket since April 1971.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would have told the officer that asked me to hand him my firearm a very stern answer of NO. If there was some other type of situation for there to be a good reason to give him my handgun then he would have to take it from my holster. There is no reason for a LEO to ask for your weapon in a traffic situation unless you are acting unstable in some way.

I think LEO's on a regular basis give CW permit holders a break. I think it's just natural because they are dealing with basicly a good person. At least they know you're not a criminal.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
... about 35 years ago in GA and I was carrying a BHP with two extra 13 rnd magazines...I remember the officer asking me if I was expecting a war...
I find the societal shift over 35 years the most interesting part of your story. Today, a BHP & 3 mags is (Thank GAUD) just a well-equipped citizen exercising the 2nd amendment. :image035:

Reactions: Hoganbeg and Kinzei

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's a sad situation. We do not have to inform here in Virginia so the decision as to whether or not we may wish to do this is totally up to us. I tend to treat it on a case by case basis... how I perceive the officer's attitude and such. But then I virtually never get stopped and haven't had a ticket since April 1971.
Yes, and unfortunately, you can encounter that type of officer anywhere, not just in "anti" states. I am very rarely stopped, so that helps.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts