Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a card-carrying member of the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA), I get some email newsletters on a regular basis from the Mother Ship in Arkansas. Recently, they quoted a statistic from Ammoland that every day more than 2,100 people use guns in self defense. I assume they mean in any 24-hour period and I don't think they include law enforcement officers, but visiting their (Ammoland) website, I can't track down too much regarding sources, other than a pro-gun organization.

Has anyone heard of this statistic before? If it was confirmed from neutral sources, I'd love to be able to use that number in any evolving discussions about the value of defensive guns, particularly handguns.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Defensive gun use numbers are hard to track. The "official" numbers are extremely low as they only include incidents where police were involved, and actually not even all of those. Most people who use their gun don't fire it, they just brandish it. It's hard to say how many of those are legit, bragging, etc. Here's an article from Bloomberg about this.
How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Bloomberg

·
Registered
748 Posts
What's ridiculous is how some people try and claim that it never happens, aka "good guy with a gun is a myth,". These are the people I don't even bother engaging with.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
A lot of that might just be as noted flashing the gun or threting the robber with the gun ..I am guessing the number where shots are fire or someone shoots someone in SD is much lower

Reactions: Renaldow

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Defensive gun use numbers are hard to track. The "official" numbers are extremely low as they only include incidents where police were involved, and actually not even all of those. Most people who use their gun don't fire it, they just brandish it. It's hard to say how many of those are legit, bragging, etc. Here's an article from Bloomberg about this.
How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Bloomberg
A reasonable article from a Bloomberg organization? That fellow will be looking over his shoulder in fear of his job...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I really don't know about the numbers except to say that there are probably a lot more people who have defended themselves with a gun than they even realize. Predators sense weakness and they look for those who would be the easiest targets. The type of people who carry guns are more aware of their surroundings and are more confident in their actions. That alone has probably deterred some predators.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I really don't know about the numbers except to say that there are probably a lot more people who have defended themselves with a gun than they even realize. Predators sense weakness and they look for those who would be the easiest targets. The type of people who carry guns are more aware of their surroundings and are more confident in their actions. That alone has probably deterred some predators.
I think it does not apply to out on the town so to speak either but to the home as well. The break ins which are very low in numbers in our area usually happen during the day when everybody is at work or school. I think knowing that there might be a shotgun or handgun close to the bed deters criminals from breaking into those houses when people are there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts