Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i have a question, i play in a band and last night we were playing at On The Rox Bar II. its a new establishment on Cypress N Houston rd in Cypress TX.
Well as i walk in, i notice the 51% sign and didnt pay any attention really as its a bar, No food, and i leave my kimber secure in my truck, but as i took a second look at the signs, next to the 51% sign, was the sign that reads "the unlicenced possesion of a firearm on the premises is a felony sign". whats the deal? i was gonna snap a pic with my crackberry but the signs were really high up, it was dark, and i didnt wanna look like a wierdo.

chep

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The 51% sign will trump it. It's still a felony to carry there. Those "unlicensed possession" signs are not legally valid.

·
Registered
577 Posts
yeah better safe than sorry, and if its a bar, then its a bar.

·
Banned
226 Posts
You can't carry at a bar in TX?

Why does every praise TX gun laws...they suck!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You can't carry at a bar in TX?

Why does every praise TX gun laws...they suck!
Well...if an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales, it's off limits. The sign is an easy way of seeing who does and doesn't (until recently, Arizona was the same way) If there is no sign present, I think it's ok to carry there (but I may be wrong, IANAL).

I've seen plenty of the "Unauthorized possession" signs at restaurants here. Basically, those are simply informing people who are already carrying illegally that it is a felony to carry there. For people with permits, those don't really apply.

Even if the bar had both, the 51% sign is the important one.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Well...if an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales, it's off limits. The sign is an easy way of seeing who does and doesn't (until recently, Arizona was the same way) If there is no sign present, I think it's ok to carry there (but I may be wrong, IANAL).

I've seen plenty of the "Unauthorized possession" signs at restaurants here. Basically, those are simply informing people who are already carrying illegally that it is a felony to carry there. For people with permits, those don't really apply.

Even if the bar had both, the 51% sign is the important one.
Well that law stinks. I have been thinking about moving to TX, but the more and more I learn about it, the more I feel like I will be losing my rights.

In NV, you can not only carry into a bar, but you can drink up until a .10! Not that I condone it..but it's nice to know I don't have to leave it in the car just to walk in one.

And yet you don't hear of drunk CCW holders shooting each other..go figure. I think states like NV show that it can be done.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
In some states carrying a gun while intoxicated is illegal,If I get in a SD situation I don't want the fact that my judgement may have been impaired by alcohol to be a factor in the investigation,Remember guns and alcohol don't mix

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Beg to differ here. Until recently, in AZ, carrying in ANY business that served alcohol for consumption on the premises was illegal.

That's not entirely true. You could legally carry inside an applebees or something, you just couldn't sit at the bar and do so.

At least that's what our instructor told us. I went through the class in Mesa and at the time (according to him) if they weren't making most (51% or more) of their revenue from alcohol, it was still ok to go in.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Well that law stinks. I have been thinking about moving to TX, but the more and more I learn about it, the more I feel like I will be losing my rights.

In NV, you can not only carry into a bar, but you can drink up until a .10! Not that I condone it..but it's nice to know I don't have to leave it in the car just to walk in one.

And yet you don't hear of drunk CCW holders shooting each other..go figure. I think states like NV show that it can be done.
I'd recommend staying in Nevada, if that's your main requirement for residence.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In some states carrying a gun while intoxicated is illegal,If I get in a SD situation I don't want the fact that my judgement may have been impaired by alcohol to be a factor in the investigation,Remember guns and alcohol don't mix
I can't agree more. I'm actually ok with not being able to carry inside a bar. I do go to them with friends and have a good time. If I don't feel comfortable in one, then I leave. I know you never know when something will happen, but I also don't let a fear of that stop me from living my life.

Alcohol and guns don't mix at all. I would disarm going in to somewhere I knew I'd be drinking at even if it was legal to go in armed.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The 51% sign is the one that holds legal weight AFAIK.

Well...if an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales, it's off limits.
I'm no expert, LEO, or lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's if "an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales to be consumed ON SITE." You should be able to carry into a liquor store since 51% of their revenue is alcohol not consumed on site. I hope that makes sense, and correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, I'd like to see Texas allow OC and being able to carry in a bar. Make it illegal to drink and carry a gun IMO, but just because you're a designated driver doesn't mean you can't arm yourself from any drunk who wants to pick a fight.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The 51% sign is the one that holds legal weight AFAIK.

I'm no expert, LEO, or lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's if "an establishment earns 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales to be consumed ON SITE."
You're correct. Thanks for the clarification. It does need to be consumed "on site" for it to be off limits.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Don't remember who was asking, but in TX you are allowed to carry into a bar if they don't have the 51% sign. The law says that they HAVE to put up the sign if they make 51%, so if you carry into a bar knowing they make 51% and they didn't have their sign up, it's on the bar for not putting up the sign, not on you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not completely accurate. It is against the law to carry in a 51% establishment whether they have a sign or not. As of 9/1/09, it is a defense to prosecution if they did not have a 51% sign displayed. You could still be arrested but you would win in court. That doesn't mean that it won't cost you a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's not entirely true. You could legally carry inside an applebees or something, you just couldn't sit at the bar and do so.

At least that's what our instructor told us. I went through the class in Mesa and at the time (according to him) if they weren't making most (51% or more) of their revenue from alcohol, it was still ok to go in.
I'm afraid your instructor was wrong on this one. AZ has NEVER had any law dealing with 51% like Texas.

Moot point anyway, as it has been changed as of last year.:smile:

·
Banned
226 Posts
It's not about drinking and getting drunk while carrying, it's about not being allowed to even walk in a bar. I don't drink..but I do go to places likes bars and lounges..

·
Registered
441 Posts

I never drink and carry except a glass of wine at home, but it would be great to be able to go in and get a sandwich or sumpin' without disarming.
In MT OC is legal in a bar or bank, but CC is a crime.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts