Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions about Marlin lever action rifles. I've always dreamed of owning an 1894C in .357. Had a chance to hold one in stainless and I wanted to talk myself into it but I guess I just really want a blued one.

Anyway, I noticed a white and black circular mark just ahead of the rear sling stud. It's an intential mark. Looks like a white circle with a smaller black circle. It looks like it marks where you would put a sling swivel but it has a sling stud installed about an inch or to further to the rear of the stock. I look at other Marlin guns and noticed the same thing and in picutures of 1894C's on gunbroker etc.

Anyone have any idea what this is all about?

Secondly, the only way I could imagine having a stainless version of the 1894C would be to have it with an all black synthetic stock. Anyone know if those are available and from where? I can't seem to locate one?

Thanks!
Gideon

·
Super Moderator
19,808 Posts
The round circular mark is the Marlin "bullseye" which appears on all Marlin rifles. Strictly non-functional, but I'm sure there's some interesting history behind it.

To the best of my knowledge, centerfire Marlin lever guns have never been available with synthetic stocks, but they are available on the aftermarket. Ram-Line is one source. But don't overlook the utility of a good sealer on the wood "furniture" for durability's sake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The round circular mark is the Marlin "bullseye" which appears on all Marlin rifles. Strictly non-functional, but I'm sure there's some interesting history behind it.

To the best of my knowledge, centerfire Marlin lever guns have never been available with synthetic stocks, but they are available on the aftermarket. Ram-Line is one source. But don't overlook the utility of a good sealer on the wood "furniture" for durability's sake.
+1
Thats right

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can always paint or rubberize the wood stocks too.

For me, the only 2 options are blue and dark wood (walnut if I can get my hand on it) or SS with laminate (preferably grey). I really don't like syn stocks.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I bought a Marlin .357 Magnum lever action carbine rifle this past year and it is an awesome rifle. Mine is blued with wood stock. They make LeveRevolution 357 rounds specially designed with a plastic tip in the hollowpoint to cushion the primers in the tube. It also shoots 38 special rounds as well. Fun to shoot either 357 or 38 rounds and is compatible with my Ruger 357 Revolver and 38 Snubbies. The Marlin bullseye is a neat trademark design.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I absolutely love my Marlin 336SS (stainless)...what a great gun...mine is in 30-30...:yup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ah, yes, I really want a Marlin 1894C in .357 too. Have been wanting one since I shot one 15 years ago. About time I go out and scratch that itch...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well they aren't easy to get. I tried HARD to like the stainless model I held the other day but I just don't like to mix wood, stainless and black components. the sights on the stainless model are all black so you have three colors going on.

I've already found the scope I want to use so I'm going to hold out for an all blue version. I know it's sacrilige to put a scope on this gun buy my aging eyes demand it. I'm going to put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 shotgun scope. It's really super compact but gives you good magnification for out to 100 yards. I think it's the right sized scope for a gun of this size/configuration.

They are sweet but I'm going to hold out for exactly what I want because I know it'll be in my family for a very long time.

And then I'll have to be a Ruger blackhawk in .357 to go along with it!! :image035:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My 1894c .44 mag is my favorite "Hog" rifle.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
The Stainless looks good on the newer Laminated wood stocks I do have to say.

Not sure they put that on many models though and do not see one on any of the Pistol Caliber models. I imagine one could be fitted though

Since I have a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum I have developed a hankering for one in that caliber

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
From Marlin's web site:
12. What is the small round black and white dot on the bottom of my Marlin stock?

This is the Marlin "Bullseye". This trademark has been used since 1922 on all Marlin walnut buttstocks. Please note that this is not a suitable place to install a swivel for you firearm. Swivels should be mounted approximately 2 inches from the toe of the butt.
Hoss

·
Super Moderator
19,808 Posts
I've already found the scope I want to use so I'm going to hold out for an all blue version. I know it's sacrilige to put a scope on this gun buy my aging eyes demand it. I'm going to put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 shotgun scope. It's really super compact but gives you good magnification for out to 100 yards. I think it's the right sized scope for a gun of this size/configuration.

They are sweet but I'm going to hold out for exactly what I want because I know it'll be in my family for a very long time.
Gideon, you might give some thought to a receiver (peep) rear sight on that Marlin. Williams, Skinner and Lyman all make good peep sights for Marlins; check the links I've enclosed. I suffer from the aging-eye thing, too, but I was impressed how well I could do with an aperture rear sight on a 10/22, having previously used just a scope on my other 10/22s.

Considering the ballistics of the .357, you probably won't be shooting at much past 100 yards, and a peep sight might be just the ticket. It wouldn't look out of place on a cowboy gun, either.

But if you do go with a scope, definitely stick with something compact. You don't need a lot of magnification or a huge objective.

Marlin peep sights

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

Open Gun Sights and Fiber Optic Gun Sights from Williams Gun Sight

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
and check out the hundreds of old Marlin lever guns that show up on the pawn shop shelves.... at least half of them will have the sling swivel screw drilled right through the middle of the bullseye:rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
LMAO.....

I was looking at a .44 mag Marlin at a gun show with a self-pronounced expert in Marlin rifles. I made the comment, I wish it had the 24" barrel like my .357 1894C has. He then explains to me that Marlin never made a 24" barrel in a .357 and if I could prove I had one, he would give me 20% off.

I won the bet. If you find a .357 with the 24" barrel, grab it !! I think it's a 1894 CB.
I've also seen some on gunbroker once in awhile.

What ?? Peep sight over 100 yds ?? I shoot 200 yrd with mine with no issues at all with the standard sights. I've had a lot of people tell me I couldn't do that, and have consequently won a lot of bets in the process too.

They shoot great.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Right now I have a 336C (30-30) with a 3x9 variable, I have had this gun since 1982.

It's my "work horse" deer rifle. It's got some scratches and it's been dropped and banged around. But it shoots a 1¼" group at 100 yards and is very reliable.

I started a thread a couple months ago about replacing it with a 308 or 45-70. But after all the replies and with the new LEVERevolution Ammo, I think I just might keep it as my deer rifle. Where my property is, I doubt I will be shooting anything over 150 yards.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can appreciate what some of you are saying about peep sights. I'm retired military and have some time behind a peep and post and used to do suprisingly well at 300 meters, but at 49 my eyes are giving me trouble. For close range work it's fine but I struggle w/peeps past 25 and even then it's hard because I wear progressive lenses. So for me, a scope is a God send. Boy do I miss my younger eyes!!

Gideon

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If you want that one, in stainless, don't hesitate too long. Those are a limited run, mostly sold out by now. I got one, the only one I could find locally, and I expect my wife to lay claim to it, so I am looking for another. My search for a blued one took several years. Marlin doesn't make many blued ones in .357 mag, either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts