Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is IMHO a great magazine to get, read, and refer back to. It answers many of the basic questions we (the not the experts types) ask here on a regular basis. Some real good info on not only hand guns but holsters, ammo ballistics, what's new, etc. Not a DEFINITIVE includes all source but a great place to start researching that new handgun, method of carry i.e. Holster type, ammo to use, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Years ago I used to subscribe to Guns & Ammo. I got sick of the repetition. After a while, I think I could have written the reviews without actually seeing or handling the guns; so, I no longer subscribe. That's just me. Maybe a first time reader would enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Years ago I used to subscribe to Guns & Ammo. I got sick of the repetition. After a while, I think I could have written the reviews without actually seeing or handling the guns; so, I no longer subscribe. That's just me. Maybe a first time reader would enjoy it.
+1. G&A cycles thru the same themes over and over again. My opinion is the publication is a bought and paid for rag. Their reviews and articles never really come to any sort of conclusion/opinion.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Partialy agree

Month to month it's sort of repetative thus boring but this annual release is a nice view if not the best review of what's out there that's new.

Besides there has to be nothing more difficult that doing a gun review. Everybody out thre is an expert. or so it seems. Have we ever seen a gun review on this forum that got anything close to 100% approval? Don't answer that there probably was one once. but pretty hard to pull off.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I refer a lot of new people to the various annual magazines as a good place to start their search. It's not 100% correct, but it's a good enough place for the new or prospective gun owner to start looking.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I used to subscribe to GandAmmo and GandA Handguns, but its the same ads, same positive reviews. Weird how every gun they review runs perfect out of the box, no failures at all. Of course, if a manf was going to send them a gun for a review, they are going to strive to send them their perdyest, perfect gun in the batch. I agree that their bought and paid for. I only get American Handgunner now. They take some great photos anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another former gun magazine subscriber here as well. For me, I found the guns reviewed were top of the line models. The expensive ones, the custom guns, not the standard everyday carry sidearm for the average working guy. Plus, the reviews seemed to be the same, mostly positive. I never read a negative review. Not all guns are created equal. Be honest and true to your readers. But, I guess that wouldn't sell magazines and the gun makers would stop giving kickbacks. No more for me. Besides, if you want any gun review simply do a google search.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I pick one up and now and and then just read over the articles if one catches my eye or just to look over the weapons in their. It's definitely not an every week item, maybe a once a year type of thing on these gun magazines.

·
Registered
40,095 Posts
Most magazines fall into htap of repeating the same crap over and over, there's only so much happening in a month/2-month period, and the deadlines must be met.
I also learned long ago to pretty much ignore any reviews. What magazine in its right mind is going to call a product a POS when said magazine relies on that company's advertising dollars to pay the bills (it's not your subscription dues that keep them in business)?

So, other than "how to" articles or telling me about some new product that's come out, I dopn't have much use for them.

Might look into "Gun Tests" buying guide, which accepts no advertising. They walk in, buy a gun(s) and let their staff of writers fire away and then write their opinions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts