Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread on this some time ago but I couldn't find it (at least not right away). Anyway, I watched the movie again. I don't usually analyze movies or TV shows because I watch them mostly for the entertainment value. Unfortunately, there are those that get their impression of guns from bogus Hollywood movies and TV shows. Hopefully, threads like this will be read by anti-gunners and they will get some education on what is true. One thing I noted about this movie is when the character Kersey goes into a gun shop and the woman behind the counter tells Kersey how easy it is to get a gun and that no one gets turned down on a 4473 or FOIA. He leaves without buying a gun but then comes back to that same store later in the movie and buys a full auto rifle. Even if he could get one, there's no way he could've legally taken that rifle home the same day. But, these are some of the things anti-gunners believe that this happens rather than doing a fact check. It's too bad that Hollywood doesn't get gun laws right before releasing movies like this. Also, I got a laugh when I saw the poster in the police station for a buy back program.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Yeah not a good movie ..The org was amazing I think ... Bronson goes to AZ gets to see the truth and gets legally in AZ ( not in Ny ) gifted a old wheel gun which he used recultly to eak out revgen

This new one was just not good .. The ended ruined it as you noted ..Its IL you cant even get full auto there legally unless your a cop ..I mean if they threw in some scene about him finding a old mac10 or something on one of his vic I might buy that ..But here is what is weird to me ..The gun he use in the end is a AR-15 pistol now that as semi auto would I think be legal in IL ..Though the movie is set in Chi town so not sure on that .... So he what violates the NFA laws and mods the gun to fa and the cops dont do anything ... Yeah no

Oh and the last scene the bad guys had full auto EVO 9mm sub gun ..Where in the heck did street thugs get new full auto sub guns ..Again a lot of guns I would have bought over that ..

The org Bronson faces down guys with knifes and stub nose 38 that I would buy 1970 NY ..But even in Chi town today I dont buy a hit team with a bunch of new full auto evo 9mm sub guns ... That just does not happen sure a number of stuff like old tec, mac etc have turned up in chi town but 4+ full auto imported EVO yeah someone look at the gun vault at some studio and though oh boy that looks cool and scary

Just a sad movie it wanted to be Death wish but ended up as death wish 5

The org Death wish movies up to 3 or 4 had belivabilty .. Bronson was a gun guy heck the used one of his guns in a latter movie a .475 pistol to great effect ... The new movie just a sad hollowood guns are bad movie at its core ..where some how low level street thugs and good guns (who mind you have no gun training beyond the internet ) mange to get there hands on military grade full autos as easy as that ... Yeah don't buy it sorry ..In the same vain if you already violate the NFA by making it full auto why he not a stock to it while he it at ....

Reactions: OldChap and Pete63

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
But if Hollywood got the gun laws right, how would they convince their audience that, "guns bad". Most anti gunners see no difference between semi automatic and fully automatic...they're both automatic, right? (my Liberal sister said that to me one time).

With all the money Hollywood sinks into production, I feel the same way when they do medical procedures or CPR...hilariously awful. What would it cost to hire one nurse to advise them?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
But if Hollywood got the gun laws right, how would they convince their audience that, "guns bad". Most anti gunners see no difference between semi automatic and fully automatic...they're both automatic, right? (my Liberal sister said that to me one time).

With all the money Hollywood sinks into production, I feel the same way when they do medical procedures or CPR...hilariously awful. What would it cost to hire one nurse to advise them?
Yep +100 agreed there have been very very few movies at least mainstream that have gotten guns right at all ... How many silencer have we seen on wheel gun etc .

One of the few that comes to mind a little bit is Terminator movies they at least had semi decent gun training and some attempts to get some stuff real .. Oh and the movie HEAT that got gun fights right ..The Seals or such used the movie as training for combat reloads for a while ... https://www.pewpewtactical.com/most-realistic-gun-scenes-movies/ covers a good list of movies that got at least gun handling and gun fights right ..Normal war movie and few crime movies that made a effort to use Vertens or ex forces guys ... Black hawk down used a number of people who had been there for the gun fights

But for the most part holllywood is lib the pander to the audicence ..One who thinkgs silencer are for assinse and getting a full auto is as easy as going to the store and walking out with it

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
It was a fun, entertaining movie.

Reactions: OldChap and PEF

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
I just watched a youtub video this afternoon showing what was "SUPPOSED to be" a tunnel rat from Nam. Holding a revolver with a "can"! :rolleyes: Jump to 4:42 on video.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
It was amazing that Bruce Willis was such a crack shot in the movie never having supposed EVER handled a handgun. The Only one worse is The Brave One with Jody Foster. She became a deadly assassin of bad guys after firing ten rounds out of the Kahr K9 9mm she bought "on the street".

·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
It was just a movie.

Rarely do movies get everything right, or even try to! (That's what the "Goofs" section on IMBD is for!)

If I had a dollar for every movie 1911 that fired double action or "clicked" with each trigger pull when empty.....

·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
And in all hollywood movies - during a massive gunfight without hearing protection, the characters whisper plans to each other....

In reality, they would be shouting due to a massive threshold shift and tinnitus:

"WHAT? YOU WANT ME TO RUN BEHIND THAT BIG I-BEAM AND THEN WHEN THE BAD GUY IS TRACKING ME YOU'LL STEP OUT AND SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE? OKAY, ON THREE!!!"

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I think that Hollywood deliberately does this because they want to push the narrative that guns are easy to get and anyone can just walk out the door with a full auto killing machine in seconds.

They know darn good and well that this is not true but they are not pushing this for the benefit of those that actually know the truth.

They are doing this so that when some suburbanite that has seen this movie and then reads about some school shooting, they will immediately start demanding more Gun Control.

They are not worried about actual facts, never have been.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that Hollywood deliberately does this because they want to push the narrative that guns are easy to get and anyone can just walk out the door with a full auto killing machine in seconds.

They know darn good and well that this is not true but they are not pushing this for the benefit of those that actually know the truth.

They are doing this so that when some suburbanite that has seen this movie and then reads about some school shooting, they will immediately start demanding more Gun Control.

They are not worried about actual facts, never have been.
That's why we need to get the general public educated. Ain't gonna be able to do that in gun forums. And the MSM certainly isn't going to help get the truth out. I guess we'll need to drop leaflets from aircraft. But, when a mass shooting occurs it doesn't matter that it's statistically rare - just ask NZ, UK, Australia and Canada.

Reactions: Pete63 and OldChap

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I just watched a youtub video this afternoon showing what was "SUPPOSED to be" a tunnel rat from Nam. Holding a revolver with a "can"! :rolleyes: Jump to 4:42 on video.

That is actual true ... The military devolved a number of silenced 38 and 44 wheel gun for the rats . You can silence a wheel gun just not many of them .. The nagant was one and a few US miltary special ops one using piston seal rounds

They also used silenced pistol that photo is not made up https://www.range365.com/suppressed-38-revolver-made-for-tunnel-rats-in-vietnam/ ..It did not work as you can guess due to the chamber not sealing and using full power loads not half loads ... They would latter try a lot of things from the hush puppy style guns to this https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2011/06/tunnel-rat-pistol-qsp-revolver-0/ the QSP 44 wheel gun

They are silenced wheel guns but unless you are using a Nagant or the Russian sealed round jobs they wont be any where near "hollwood " quite . Now a Nagant or a piston bullet gun will be ..A proper silenced nagant is about as loud as 22lr I would say from hearing it not sure on DB though

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Exactly. The typical CNN-watching, liberal voting couch potato has learned all he/she "knows" about guns from the leftist media.

This is also why you never see guns in horror movies, or at least not until the end.

Here's why it won't work:

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
I say this as kindly as I know how.

What do we expect from an entire community (Hollywood) that has been stoned every day for more than 50 years to come up with? It is a miracle any of them can figure out how to tie their shoes every morning. It is a major miracle when they get anything right.

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
That is actual true ... The military devolved a number of silenced 38 and 44 wheel gun for the rats . You can silence a wheel gun just not many of them .. The nagant was one and a few US miltary special ops one using piston seal rounds

They also used silenced pistol that photo is not made up https://www.range365.com/suppressed-38-revolver-made-for-tunnel-rats-in-vietnam/ ..It did not work as you can guess due to the chamber not sealing and using full power loads not half loads ... They would latter try a lot of things from the hush puppy style guns to this https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2011/06/tunnel-rat-pistol-qsp-revolver-0/ the QSP 44 wheel gun

They are silenced wheel guns but unless you are using a Nagant or the Russian sealed round jobs they wont be any where near "hollwood " quite . Now a Nagant or a piston bullet gun will be ..A proper silenced nagant is about as loud as 22lr I would say from hearing it not sure on DB though
Yes, I wasn't sure but the photo looked more like a Colt???? Also, I am aware of the revolver whose action pushed the cylinder forward at firing, to seal with the forcing cone (Nagant????). Didn't look like this photo was one of those, BUT YOU ARE the "far superior" firearms guy, with respect to old/odd/military weapons. :yup:

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
I say this as kindly as I know how.

What do we expect from an entire community (Hollywood) that has been stoned every day for more than 50 years to come up with? It is a miracle any of them can figure out how to tie their shoes every morning. It is a major miracle when they get anything right.

:haha:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've read in the past that Willis is (somewhat) pro 2A. I don't know if he had any creative input into this movie, but at least they could have done the gun store scenes more accurately.

That's a bug that I have about many movies and TV shows these days. How do the bad guys get high end fully auto weapons? Also it seems that all crime shows based in NYC have the good guy turned criminal using their "legally" owned handgun or Class 3 weapons to perpetrate the crime. There aren't that many legally owned guns in all of NYC!

Most movies/ TV shows wouldn't have a plot if the good guys had guns prior to the home invasion/campground murder/restaurant massacre/zombie apocalypse/mall invasion.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Yes, I wasn't sure but the photo looked more like a Colt???? Also, I am aware of the revolver whose action pushed the cylinder forward at firing, to seal with the forcing cone (Nagant????). Didn't look like this photo was one of those, BUT YOU ARE the "far superior" firearms guy, with respect to old/odd/military weapons. :yup:
I am basing what I said on the articular as it directly talks about the photo ( that photo you posted was from a army test trial when they tried out the s&w with a silencer , light on the gun and a whole bunch of other silly things that did not work that great .

And yep there is two ways to silence a wheel gun that would work ..One is for the gun to have the forcing cone go forward to seal the gap and to fit it with a silencer ..The other is far more exotic which is to use a gun that has special rounds that are piston power or the like to force the load and seal the action of flash and nosie.. Thus less noise ..We tried it with a few guns worked a bit but there there is art and a few out there ..The Russian do have a a hand full for spec ops OTs-38 for example which was a copy of the US QSP 44 mag and use the same idea a piston fited ball loaded round ... It works for short range pretty well ...

Funny the sound of the US 44 mag QSP was only 110db which was about what a 22lr silenced pistol does and no muzzle flash and there was about 250 made so the idea does work

The USA never really got into "exotic" weapons as much as some other countries esp in post ww2 ..WW2 the OSS boys had some weird weird guns and dart guns ..Post war most were pretty off the shelf ie the Hush power was prob the most intersting other then the QSP and the stuff like MK2 silenced rugers ..The russian oh they got into it ..All sort of black bag stuff silenced wheel gun ..Heck even made a handgun that matches the ballistic of a AK47 fired from long range to mask how the gun was really use ... And the Brit still use the well rod maybe ... But of course in the shadows who really knows what happens ....

Reactions: Pete63
1 - 19 of 19 Posts