Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We already have a Remington 870 Express 20ga shotgun for the farm (20ga because my petite wife didn't like the kick on the 12ga; Express because I hadn't read these forums before I bought it).

If one wanted to turn this into more of a home-defense weapon, what would one do to it? I'm thinking a flashlight would be in order, but don't know if it needs much more. Someone elsewhere said something about replacing a 'follower' (I don't know what that is, to tell the truth)... other suggestions? Best ammo?

And do folks have opinions about the shotgun rack that goes under one's mattress to hold a shotgun between mattress-side and covers?

How 'bout a shoulder holster?

(OK, just wanted to let you know I'm willing to take comments of "don't be ridiculous" if they're warranted.)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
An 18 1/2" barrel would be a good idea for HD. Makes it easier to move around your house. I also have a 115 lumen LED light attached to my 870. As far as ammo goes, 00 Buck is what I use.

I attached the flashlight with something similar to this.

http://www.tacticalshotgunaccessories.com/ati/lightmount.htm

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Well, you already have the gun, now get you and the little woman out to the range/woods and see just what that HD weapon can do.
Set up some cardboard and let the wife practice so she can determine patterns at different distances.:image035::wave:

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Load it with buckshot and keep it handy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Federal TruFlight Slugs, Extended Mag Tube, Surefire front grip with Flashlight, Hi Viz front sight. 20 ga is a good choice for anyone.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
20 Gauge only comes in #3 and #2 buckshot, however they are plenty enough for house defense.

20 gauge can reach out and touch with a full choke.

It has been said that 20 gauge will pattern tighter than 12 gauge.

My wife shoots a 20 gauge Mossburg 500 and I have grate respect for her and it.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
20 Gauge only comes in #3 and #2 buckshot, however they are plenty enough for house defense.

20 gauge can reach out and touch with a full choke.

It has been said that 20 gauge will pattern tighter than 12 gauge.

My wife shoots a 20 gauge Mossburg 500 and I have grate respect for her and it.
Around here you can't find #2 or #3, only #4 which I have had poor results with. Every time I am in the gun stores I check.

·
Registered
177 Posts
18.5" barrel, side saddle, magazine extension, barrel clamp, Light, night sights, speedfeed forend.
heres mine, but in 12 gauge

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is great! I have a 20 ga Savage that hasn't been fired since the early 80's. ( I never get rid of anything and it makes my wife crazy) I was just wondering yesterday what to do with it. Thought I'd dust it off, clean it and see what it was worth.
Now I have an idea to work with.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
That is a fine HD gun, the follower is in the magazine tube, they are cheaply made as stock. PM Ramrod he has pictures of one he replaced, but a shorter barrel and light is about all you will need and some good buckshot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...gun-discussion/89389-20ga-home-defense-2.html

Check out this thread, I posted a question basically the same as yours a month or two ago, and am currently using my 870 20ga as my HD gun. I've decided to change out the front bead for a tritium one and possibly change the stock, but haven't been able to do either as of yet. I'll also be upgrading the mag follower, but these mods will have to wait until my work picks back up.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Brownel's lists a new mag extension for the 20. No picture yet and not a lot of info, though.
REMINGTON : MAGAZINE EXTENSION KIT, 3-ROUND, BLUE

The follower is a drop in part, I have the red one in my 500 in 12 and 20. I think the factory model is crappy cheap plastic, no-brainer.
BROWNELLS : Remington Follower, Alum, Red, 20 Ga. (080-000-166)

Good sights are always nice. IIRC 6-48 is the stock threads, unless you have a pedestal base but here are a few choices. Easy install.
BRADLEY GUNSIGHT : SIGHT BEADS
XS SIGHT SYSTEMS : SHOTGUN BIG DOT TRITIUM FRONT SIGHT
HIVIZ : COMP SIGHT
TRUGLO : SHOTGUN STARBRITE DELUXE SIGHT
HIVIZ : SHOTGUN FIBER OPTIC SIGHT
CARLSON'S : HIGH VISIBILITY SHOTGUN BEADS
KIMBER : TRU-DOT DAY/NIGHT SHOTGUN BEAD

I'm assuming by your question that you have a long "hunting" barrel for it. The 18" is certainly easier to move with if your plans would involve moving around the house or grounds to check on kids or such. If your plans for the gun are just to stay in a safe location and guard an area or an entryway, and not move around, just keep the long barrel. It probably patterns better and gives better performance than the 18" cylinder bore barrel.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 20ga at all for HD. Maybe a bit lighter than a 12ga depending on model. I used to rely on a Mossberg 500a in 20ga for my HD shotty. #2 buck was what I kept in mine. If anyone would ever think the 20ga is that much less of a viable alternative to the 12ga, just remember that some models will chamber the 2 3/4" or 3" shells. The Rem 870 and Mossy 500s usually come with those chambers. Difference in recoil will depend on selected ammo, and weight of shotgun, as well as hard plastic butt pad or rubber butt pad, etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I for one refuse to stand in line to get shot by a 20 ga loaded with buckshot or even #5 shot for that matter.

If you have trouble getting buckshot grab some T's, BBB or BB shot it is waterfowl season so you should be able to get that at your local hunting store and they will kill!! The modified choke that comes with it will work great.

A flashlight, side saddle, extended tube and training is all that you need

·
Registered
30 Posts
At 20 to 25 feet it does not matter the choke or for that matter which number of shot. At 24.3 yds I shot a perp behind the ear with a 20 ga number 6 (used for rabbits) and the pattern where it entered was the size of a silver dollar. Penetration was about 4 inches into the cranium. That perp never got into my garden and ate my vegetables again (white tail).
Peaceful

1 - 20 of 25 Posts