Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon y'all, I am a 21 year old business student and Army National Guardsman... and a bit of a firearms nut according to my more liberal friends. I have been planning on getting FFL for about 2 years now, basically since I enlisted. As I understand it, the days of the home based FFL are over, I have located a retail space in a friends established business (automotive inspection shop) who has agreed to let me use his office for business on the weekends when he is closed, I will be purchasing a safe for the firearms and paperwork. Before I get in over my head, will there be issues due to my age? I have already ran an online business doing international clothing sales, and I have scholastic experience in business. I also have a CHL, no record (one speeding ticket last year), and a squeaky clean background.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Welcome to the DC Forum. Great to have you aboard and thank you for your choice to serve in the ANG. Your age should not be a factor, as noted below from the ATF web site.

Who is eligible for a firearms license?

An application for a Federal firearms license will be approved if the applicant:

Is 21 years of age or over;

• Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition, nor in the case of a corporation, partnership, or association, is any individual possessing, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of the corporation, partnership, or association prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;

• Has not willfully violated the Gun Control Act (GCA) or its regulations;

• Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or has not made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his or her application;

Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and

• The applicant certifies that:

(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located;

(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

(3) the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

(4) the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises is located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license; and

* if the applicant is to be a licensed dealer, the applicant certifies that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (“secure gun storage or safety device” is defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(34)).

[18 U.S.C. 923(d)(1); 27 CFR 478.47(b)]

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
21 is pretty much the key for all things of legal age here ( I think 25 to rent a car) and yeah Home FFL dont get done much ..They want it to be for a Businese not for you ( thank you libreals) ..Bit of a rant here but the lib who killed home FFL has a home ffl he has not given up....

Anywhere yeah ..You got zonning ok? And you got some suppliers linned up? You think about getting a SOT at some point .... Maybe get to know the local cops see if they would be down for some post samples ........Maybe a nice FA kriss Vector.....

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I have been planning on getting FFL for about 2 years now, basically since I enlisted. As I understand it, the days of the home based FFL are over, I have located a retail space in a friends established business (automotive inspection shop) who has agreed to let me use his office for business on the weekends when he is closed, I will be purchasing a safe for the firearms and paperwork. Before I get in over my head, will there be issues due to my age? I have already ran an online business doing international clothing sales, and I have scholastic experience in business. I also have a CHL, no record (one speeding ticket last year), and a squeaky clean background.
Its a myth that the days of the home based FFL are over. I'm "home based".

What they do require is that you are in it for business. I established an LLC and that took care of that.

AS long you there are no local or state ordinances prohibiting FFL's from the location you want to use, you'll be OK. All you have to be is over 21 and once you are past that there is no issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just went through the process of a home-based FFL, if the days of these are over, it happened in the last twenty minutes. :)

Beyond that, ATF has all the requirements you need to meet online. Order the application packet and go for it.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Might there be an issue with the BATFE wanting to run an inspection during the week when your business is closed but the shop is open for other business? I'm assuming the safe will be located in your friends business office. Just a thought.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Might there be an issue with the BATFE wanting to run an inspection during the week when your business is closed but the shop is open for other business? I'm assuming the safe will be located in your friends business office. Just a thought.
Nope. The ATF just calls you to schedule. People go on vacations, have emergencies and need to be elsewhere all the time. ATF isn't out to get you and works with you to get what's needed. Besides, your hours do not need to be the same as the other business.

The time they do need a more rapid response is on a firearms trace and that you kind of have to deal with quickly. There are plenty of ways to handle that too.

Jeff

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Good afternoon y'all, I am a 21 year old business student and Army National Guardsman... and a bit of a firearms nut according to my more liberal friends. I have been planning on getting FFL for about 2 years now, basically since I enlisted. As I understand it, the days of the home based FFL are over, I have located a retail space in a friends established business (automotive inspection shop) who has agreed to let me use his office for business on the weekends when he is closed, I will be purchasing a safe for the firearms and paperwork. Before I get in over my head, will there be issues due to my age? I have already ran an online business doing international clothing sales, and I have scholastic experience in business. I also have a CHL, no record (one speeding ticket last year), and a squeaky clean background.
Home based FFL's aren't out, not in this State. Depends if where you are tried to do some "zoning" to prevent it. In some places that's been taken to court and they ruled the City cannot ban an FFL from working out of their home or having it as a home business.... it was no inherently dangerous compared to any other business and they could not do it just because it involved guns.

However, for my .02 cents.... never keep the guns there. Vault them somewhere else. I wouldn't do it out of my home.

You are old enough, qualified, then go for it .... if you think you can pay for it, sustain it, have the market for it, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Home based businesses are not over or disallowed by ATF. Probably just the opposite.

Because ATF requires that you meet all State and local laws, they will background check with local Planning and Zoning. If you meet their requirements, there is no problem. Zoning for your intended use will also apply to the Auto shop. Best you check all zoning regulations before submitting your application.

On the form you will fill out it will ask you to list your hours of operation. You don't need to list 9-6, 6 days a week but they like you to be open for business. Weekends only for say 10 hours on Sat. & Sun. might raise eyebrows with some ATF examiners. It would be best if you could list 24 hours a week or more.

Maybe include Friday after the shop closes?

You may also be able to let ATF know that you could see customers by appointment only at other times as well. I don't think there is a place for you to note this on the form but it can be discussed during your interview and premises inspection.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I use a Home Based FFL. He sees clients by Appointment only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I do appointments only. Only trouble with that is that I have too many appointments.

There is a sign on my door that says "By appointment only". It is amazing to me how many people cant read.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do appointments only. Only trouble with that is that I have too many appointments.

There is a sign on my door that says "By appointment only". It is amazing to me how many people cant read.
:)

I'm way off the beaten path so I don't really get drop ins. But, even though I work by appointment, I have hours listed on my FFL that I am available for an appointment.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts