Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not suggesting, or saying anyone should! But if a .22 is all you have on you, or the only firearm you own, check out the results of his test. At point blank range,that 22lr is some nasty stuff, even out of a short brl. Pretty impressive results for the lowly .22. Here’s the link.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cadavers have no fight left in them already, so shooting them don't tell the whole story. Having dispatched hundreds of varmints with .22 LR, they have a lot of fight left for a while unless shot in the head.
For the few who have medical limitations a .22 is better than nothing. Plan to empty the magazine.
Well, that’s strange, I have shot a lot of game and varmints with .22’s, they didn’t have much fight left in em at all if any. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. I have never emptied the mag, and have rarely ever shot more than one round to kill them. And I never remember shooting anything more than twice.
779ED611-D89D-4904-A420-7487FC3D669D.jpeg
1A46E354-E86F-43CC-A1D9-7C9B9A21549F.jpeg
0C6E33B4-D3B1-489F-836A-4C5EBB9FB958.jpeg
56293104-C0DC-4E3E-9A28-017B73339D89.jpeg
772926F3-C4BE-44CF-9A46-9D5FC20996DE.jpeg
9FEC5FA2-822A-40EC-BF6B-20F5055968F7.jpeg
FEFA73F7-52A1-4373-B902-4F8AB698E05B.jpeg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point wasn’t that it is the best choice, it’s obviously not. My point was the proof of damage by a small round.I can’t imagine if someone got multiple shots to the chest or face with a .22 they would have a lot of fight left in them. I was surprised by the test he did. But, maybe I am wrong. Maybe it would take a mag dump with it to stop an attacker.

·
Registered
256 Posts
plenty of folks have used the 22 and plenty more have one handy for their own reasons...the suspect might not drop immediately, but a whole lot of times the 22 did end the immediate problem....often with the suspect going the other direction in a hurry.

i can say that in all my years working, that i have yet come across a case where there was a person shot and he kept charging or fighting.....they all seem to either fold or run away. There are always exceptions i have read about....but never seen.

but i still prefer a larger caliber.

the older i get, the milder my calibers seem to be getting.

the 22 is not my first choice......but i acknowledge that it might eventually become that...for my own reasons.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
To use one for self-defense, you probably need to make sure you're well enough versed in hand to hand combat that you can position the weapon for the perfect shot. Can you defend yourself with .22? Sure. Is it the most efficient and effective way to do it? Uh .... not so much.

Reactions: j102 and Arky73

·
Premium Member
35,160 Posts
Cadavers have no fight left in them already, so shooting them don't tell the whole story. Having dispatched hundreds of varmints with .22 LR, they have a lot of fight left for a while unless shot in the head.
For the few who have medical limitations a .22 is better than nothing. Plan to empty the magazine.
I'm betting they will run out of fight before I run out of head shots.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
My largest opposition of a .22 for SD would be the reliability issues with rimfire ammunition and that effect on the reliability of the gun, way before I would balk at caliber. .22 K frame would be high on the list if forced on me.

·
Premium Member
35,160 Posts
My largest opposition of a .22 for SD would be the reliability issues with rimfire ammunition and that effect on the reliability of the gun, way before I would balk at caliber. .22 K frame would be high on the list if forced on me.
Reliability is my biggest concern with a .22.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am for sure not advocating someone to search out a defensive firearm in .22. I just found the videos results interesting. Don’t know why, since I have used one hunting, but the video just surprised me.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
My wife has a Ruger single action in .22 with an additional cylinder in .22 Mag. A small semi in 22 Mag would be interesting for self defense.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It wouldn't work for CCW but for other defensive use - a high capacity 22 semi auto or lever action rifle would be no joke.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
While it's a small caliber and limited in power, I'd sure take a .22 over a sharp stick, or nothing. Maybe not the best choice, but a choice never the less, that will work if done properly.

·
Registered
38,993 Posts
Well, that’s strange, I have shot a lot of game and varmints with .22’s, they didn’t have much fight left in em at all if any.
All's well and good when you can take your time for that controlled shot through your scoped rifle, but when Bubba jumps your butt in the parking lot, seeking revenge for your fooling around with his girl, he's not gonna pose on a tree limb while you sight in. You might need to hit him a whole lot harder than that 40-grain has in it.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts
An Inuit woman killed a polar bear with a .22, but I sure wouldn't go polar bear hunting with a .22.

My inhouse pocket carry before I get dressed is an NAA Mini-Mag 22M. Other guns are nearby.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts