Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Right.
Some people don't seem to get that "stopping power" and lethality are not the same.
Example: "22lr has killed ____ people" ... omits how quick (or not) they stopped the attack.
FOUR .22lr bullets fired from a snubbie revolver that hit FOUR people in different body parts and fired by John Hinckley stopped every one of them and they were ALL knocked off their feet and taken completely out of action with ONE SHOT. One was a police officer and another was a Secret Service Agent guarding Reagan. The other two were James Brady and Ronald Reagan hit by a ricochet inside the car. As we all know, Reagan almost died.

Stopping power from any caliber may and can take more than one bullet. Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri was hit with 6 shots all in the front of the body with .40 caliber before the last one killed him and it was a head shot. Most any and all bullets shot and penetrating the head from nose up will stop and kill a human, including .22lr.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
FOUR .22lr bullets fired from a snubbie revolver that hit FOUR people in different body parts and fired by John Hinckley stopped every one of them and they were ALL knocked off their feet and taken completely out of action with ONE SHOT. One was a police officer and another was a Secret Service Agent guarding Reagan. The other two were James Brady and Ronald Reagan hit by a ricochet inside the car. As we all know, Reagan almost died.

Stopping power from any caliber may and can take more than one bullet. Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri was hit with 6 shots all in the front of the body with .40 caliber before the last one killed him and it was a head shot. Most any and all bullets shot and penetrating the head from nose up will stop and kill a human, including .22lr.
No facts allowed on cartridge war discussions! Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
If I can drop a hog with one, you can surely stop a human.

Reactions: Arky73

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
I’ve seen videos of people doing that, but hunting with a .22 and self defense with a.22 is not the same.
Head shot is a head shot. Am I advocating for a 22, NO. Bigger is always better.

Reactions: Texas Red

·
Registered
707 Posts
Head shot is a head shot. Am I advocating for a 22, NO. Bigger is always better.
Being armed and real good with watcha got is better than not being armed. Everyone can't carry bigger guns for various reasons. Bigger calibers? Maybe and depends. Yep, head shot is a head shot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I’ve seen videos of people doing that, but hunting with a .22 and self defense with a.22 is not the same.
Right. When hunting you're a lot farther away and don't normally have the ability to fire 6 to 8 shots rapid fire if needed.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts

I was a teenager when assassination attempt on Reagan happened, I remember it.
The incidents you cited do not invalidate what I said.

Back to thread topic, if a 22lr is all one has, that is better than nothing, my sympathy.
Carrying a 22lr by choice when one could carry a larger caliber, naive/uninformed.

Goal of SD is stopping the threat ASAP
22lr/32 are not on par with 9mm/40/45 in ASAP potential.
I'll not carry less than 9mm, supporting example:

Reactions: Texas Red

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was a teenager when assassination attempt on Reagan happened, I remember it.
The incidents you cited do not invalidate what I said.

I was 35 when he and three others got shot. Naturally, I voted for him as President. You weren't old enough.
Doesn't matter what you said. You're attempting to invalidate what a .22lr can do in every one of your posts when it can and has killed many a human or put them in the hospital.

Back to thread topic, if a 22lr is all one has, that is better than nothing, my sympathy.

Your "sympathy"? LOL. It should be "my congratulations or my respect". Nope, not you.

Carrying a 22lr by choice when one could carry a larger caliber, naive/uninformed.

Who are you to be the judge and jury of whether a person is naive/uninformed and what they should or shouldn't carry. I don't carry a 22lr but my wife does and I know her physical and mental capabilities. So are you saying I or she is naive and uninformed? What do you know that I don't about the situation and choice? FYI, I really wouldn't be opposed to carrying the 8 round .22lr revolver.

Goal of SD is stopping the threat ASAP
22lr/32 are not on par with 9mm/40/45 in ASAP potential.

Nobody said it was. I certainly haven't. BUT a .22lr COULD stop the threat ASAP depending on shot placement. It could be deadly. We don't even know what kind of scenario is involved.
What do you envision happening that would require drawing a gun (any gun) and how it's all going to play out in the first 15 seconds? Is it one bad guy...more than one...will he be brandishing a knife or a gun before you even know what's happening...will it be a home invasion...what?

I'll not carry less than 9mm, supporting example:
Video doesn't work.

You can carry anything you want and all I can say is, you're a wise man and good for you. I've been carrying for 41 years and absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt what I will or won't carry because their purchase was based on carry. All 19 of them in all calibers.
Do you want to take a guess at how many rounds I shot over 4 decades with all of those calibers? I can't. I do know I'd have a good bit more money if I hadn't.

Not one would concern me that it wasn't enough if it was in my possession at the time of SHTF.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don’t think anyone on this forum would argue that a 20 mm has a greater potential of a one shot stop when compared to a 22lr. The problem for me is I can’t conceal a 20mm and, even if I could, I don’t think I could handle the recoil.

Everything in self defense is a compromise. If I couldn’t handle a 45 or even a 32, I have to ask myself what compromise can I accept. Never leaving my property and hiring security is one option. My problem there is I have grown very fond of eating and living indoors. This requires that I have a source of income. So, I work.

My choice with my limitations is to choose either no weapon or one that I believe is my best choice of the limited options. Between a rock, stick, knife or 22lr, I’ll take the lowly 22.

It is simple for me...evaluate my options and choose the best one under my circumstances. You choice and circumstances don’t have any impact on my decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Being armed and real good with watcha got is better than not being armed. Everyone can't carry bigger guns for various reasons. Bigger calibers? Maybe and depends. Yep, head shot is a head shot.
Here are four other guns I own and HAVE carried. A lot, and I do mean a LOT of rounds have gone through each of them. I think at this stage of my life and assessing various factors, I'm more than capable of making decisions that are right for me and what to avoid. These are all great.

Top row from L to R is Springfield .40 cal. and 7 round S&W .357. Bottom row is Springfield .45 cal. and the "lowly" Glock 9mm as considered by some. But I do have over 100 rounds available if I took all of the magazines loaded in a backpack. That should count for at least "something".:rolleyes:

When the day comes that I can't make my own positive decisions about anything, I'm ready for incarceration in the old folks home.

IMG_2521.JPG

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
There must be a lot of people buying .22 snubs...can’t find one anywhere locally.

ETA - Can’t find online either.

Maybe folks have figured out that the gun you can train with beats the one you can’t?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts

I don't carry a 22lr but my wife does and I know her physical and mental capabilities
Video doesn't work.
What I said would exclude your wife, doesn't sound like she could carry a larger caliber.

Video works if I click where it says watch on youtube

I wasn't old enough to vote for Reagan is irrelevant to a caliber discussion.

Killed or put in the hospital by 22lr does not infer that it was quickly incapacitating.
The Flu kills and puts people in the hospital but it is not quickly incapacitating upon infection.

·
Registered
707 Posts
What I said would exclude your wife, doesn't sound like she could carry a larger caliber.
Makes me feel soooo much better to have your approval and blessing.

I wasn't old enough to vote for Reagan is irrelevant to a caliber discussion.
A lot of things get said that aren't relevant. It's a forum. People just talk and say what's on their mind.

Killed or put in the hospital by 22lr does not infer that it was quickly incapacitating.
That could apply to any caliber if it's the direction you want to go in. However, it certainly could be.

The Flu kills and puts people in the hospital but it is not quickly incapacitating upon infection.
What a terrible analogy and comparison. You just don't quit, do you? The foremost authority on everything.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There must be a lot of people buying .22 snubs...can’t find one anywhere locally.

ETA - Can’t find online either.

Maybe folks have figured out that the gun you can train with beats the one you can’t?
Might be a lot of first time buyers buying anything and everything available. Availability is down to zilch.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
What a terrible analogy and comparison. You just don't quit, do you? The foremost authority on everything.
Look back to where I first quoted your post #118 mine is #119 on page 6
The first word I said was right, I agreed with what you said.
Unfortunately subsequently you incorrectly applied what I said to your wife, although it did not.
22lr is personal for you since it applies to your spouse and its led to undeserved ire toward me.

·
Registered
38,981 Posts
My wife's TN cousins used to drop treed bears with a .22 shot in the ear. Rarely took two shots. Admittedly they were unrushed, well-aimed shots, not at all what I would expect or hope for in a personal attack. So if one can kill a bear with a .22, one could expect to kill a person also. The trick is to get that person to sit still on the limb long enough for you to take careful aim at his ear canal.

Reactions: j102

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife's TN cousins used to drop treed bears with a .22 shot in the ear. Rarely took two shots. Admittedly they were unrushed, well-aimed shots, not at all what I would expect or hope for in a personal attack. So if one can kill a bear with a .22, one could expect to kill a person also. The trick is to get that person to sit still on the limb long enough for you to take careful aim at his ear canal.
Exactly. And that is the difference between hunting with a .22 and using it for self defense.
Now, if a .22 is all a person has or can shoot, then go for it. Better than nothing.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts