Defensive Carry banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Since we are talking about defense....bigger is always better, and reliability is at the top of the list, so why in the world would anyone choose an AR15 over an AK? .762 is bigger than .22.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Look back to where I first quoted your post #118 mine is #119 on page 6
The first word I said was right, I agreed with what you said.
Unfortunately subsequently you incorrectly applied what I said to your wife, although it did not.
22lr is personal for you since it applies to your spouse and its led to undeserved ire toward me.
I don't need to go back and look at your original post where you agreed because I remember it. Took me by surprise that you would and seemed totally out of character. But you didn't disappoint by almost immediately transitioning into the biggest round is better syndrome along with the large guns that shoot them and there's no excuse for not carrying it at all times and all places.

Face it, that's the rule you live by and apply it to everyone else. Doesn't matter whether someone is making a short trip for one item at a large grocery chain and back home quickly or a daily two mile walk in the quiet subdivision where they live. For you and in your opinion it's .45 or .40 in a large frame model to be prepared for the worst case scenario at all times. And the ultimate sin is to not be carrying any gun at all. Doesn't matter that one might have a Benchmade Infidel, other quickly deployed automatic knife, fighting cane, tire thumper, or whatever.

Please say something positive as far as when and why someone might choose to carry a .22 that doesn't have physical weakness, or a .25, .32, .380, .38 special, or small .9mm with low capacity (7).

Lay it on us because there are a good number or members here that opt to do less than what you espouse, or I should say dictate.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Promoting .22lr as a self defense option is irresponsible. Even saying "if it's all you got" because if you don't have anything else, you have no options. Your haven't planned to use a firearm for self defense.

Handguns for self defense are an application of probability as it is. .22 starts you at the bottom of that probability. I'll take a sharp stick. Bigger hole and more reliable.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Promoting .22lr as a self defense option is irresponsible. Even saying "if it's all you got" because if you don't have anything else, you have no options. Your haven't planned to use a firearm for self defense.

Handguns for self defense are an application of probability as it is. .22 starts you at the bottom of that probability. I'll take a sharp stick. Bigger hole and more reliable.
There you go, from a man who really knows his stuff. Makes me want to take out my machete and sharpen a stick for a bigger hole and more reliability.

But that doesn't make sense. Why not just carry my machete so I can not only make a big hole but also hack off a hand or an arm? Maybe even a head if the BG really torques me off?! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I don't need to go back and look at your original post where you agreed because I remember it. Took me by surprise that you would and seemed totally out of character. But you didn't disappoint by almost immediately transitioning into the biggest round is better syndrome along with the large guns that shoot them and there's no excuse for not carrying it at all times and all places.

Face it, that's the rule you live by and apply it to everyone else. Doesn't matter whether someone is making a short trip for one item at a large grocery chain and back home quickly or a daily two mile walk in the quiet subdivision where they live. For you and in your opinion it's .45 or .40 in a large frame model to be prepared for the worst case scenario at all times. And the ultimate sin is to not be carrying any gun at all. Doesn't matter that one might have a Benchmade Infidel, other quickly deployed automatic knife, fighting cane, tire thumper, or whatever.

Please say something positive as far as when and why someone might choose to carry a .22 that doesn't have physical weakness, or a .25, .32, .380, .38 special, or small .9mm with low capacity (7).

Lay it on us because there are a good number or members here that opt to do less than what you espouse, or I should say dictate.
Whatever you carry in an area of greater anticipated threat, strive to carry that everywhere.
That (my) philosophy excludes if limited by work attire by inclusion of the word strive.
Using pistols your example: .25, .32, .380, .38 special, or small .9mm with low capacity (7).
9mm would be preferred and would get carried unless limited by work attire, which I'm not.
Nowhere would I rather defend myself with a 25/32/380 than a 9mm and I'd carry accordingly.
If you don't like my philosophy ignore it.

There is no shortage of people content posting location dependent "better than nothing".

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Well, a 22LR is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Whatever you carry in an area of greater anticipated threat, strive to carry that everywhere.
I am proficient with more than one gun and caliber and it is in many cases attire dependent
with nothing carried IWB or OWB.

That (my) philosophy excludes if limited by work attire by inclusion of the word strive.
Using pistols your example: .25, .32, .380, .38 special, or small .9mm with low capacity (7).
9mm would be preferred and would get carried unless limited by work attire, which I'm not.
My work attire and leisure attire are basically both the same.

Nowhere would I rather defend myself with a 25/32/380 than a 9mm and I'd carry accordingly.
I can appreciate that and have no problem accepting your decision. I don't own a .25 however do own a .32 but never carry it. I own two .380s and do at times carry one or the other to prevent a larger pocket bulge.

If you don't like my philosophy ignore it.

Back at you and you first.

There is no shortage of people content posting location dependent "better than nothing".
Flat out drives you up a wall, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
35,148 Posts

You bring your sharp stick, and I'll bring a .22...

·
Registered
4,903 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
There you go, from a man who really knows his stuff. Makes me want to take out my machete and sharpen a stick for a bigger hole and more reliability.

But that doesn't make sense. Why not just carry my machete so I can not only make a big hole but also hack off a hand or an arm? Maybe even a head if the BG really torques me off?! :ROFLMAO:
How about a tomahawk?

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
I will take a slingshot , it's beats a zero . .22's are a fun gun and i do believe they are used for up close and personal (Hits) by professionals , small and easily concealed can add a can on them . Don't knock it .

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yesterday when I went out into the cold cruel world my wife's Ruger LCR .22lr went with me.

Not ONE incident of possible danger and having the need to consider drawing and defending myself.
Must have either been my lucky day or places with extremely low probabilities of danger which some believe doesn't exist.

I think I'll really push my luck today and carry the NAA .22lr derringer. Tomorrow will either be the S&W Bodyguard .380 with laser (which is cheating) or the Ruger LCPII. If I don't post any more you'll know my luck ran out and shoulda listened to the sage advice and had my .45 instead.
:sneaky::unsure::giggle:

141 - 155 of 155 Posts