Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I would never, consciously and when something else is readily available, grab and put into use a handgun chambered for the .22 LR cartridge. I say this mostly based on a few facts. (1) The rimfire cartridge does not have the reliability record of quality centerfire ammunition. (2) Most .22 handguns have a lower capacity than do most centerfire handguns.

I will not go into such data as velocity, energy, and bullet design for maximum incapacitation that we see with modern centerfire SD ammo since that is pretty obvious to most people. With that said, a .22 pistol or revolver is going to beat a baseball bat or knife most of the time* but then, if you keep a good centerfire pistol handy, why on earth would one select the .22 over it... unless there are other factors at play.

* This assumes the closeness of the threat is not an immediate issue.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Howard, I like your videos. Always well done. The .22 lr has been done adauseam.

For self defense, the answer needs to be NO. Always NO. Words that violate forum rules NO.
I get limited strength and mobility. Still no. There are better options.
I would literally rather carry a sharp stick.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I once had an elderly retired doctor attend one of my classes. His physical condition had declined to the point where he walked with a cane and needed to use it for support. The cane, obviously, occupied one hand any time he was standing. He also had limited hand strength to be able to control anything, to include firearms. He attended the class with an old Ruger standard 22 pistol. While shooting, and supporting himself with his cane, he proceeded to shoot the center out of a target 7-yards away while firing the pistol with his other hand. Was that the most effective weapon for him to employ? I don’t know. What I do know is I didn’t want him shooting it at me.
Howard

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I have a good friend, He's been thru SWAT school, Sniper school, Tactical Patrol Officer, etc. His wife, as the result of a MVC that wasn't he fault, has very limited hand strength. She carries a small .22. It's what she can handle.

I had another friend, decades ago, who ended up being a US Marshal after he left the Portland PD. He related having a bad guy point a .22 at him. He said that the .22 looked like a .45 when looking down the business end.

The latest CJ Box novel with Joe Pickett has a .22 rifle involved. It IS better than a sharp stick.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I do have a ria xtm 22 in 22mag that might fill a need assuming all other choice and ammo are used up . Why did I but a 22mag 1911 ? Beat me but it sure is fun and with 15 rounds in the mag its an attention getter . I would not want to be shot buy it ! I also have a 24" rossi frontier lever rifle I got for a bargain price as it was new 7 years old that might be a problem for some one even at 200 yards with a 2.5-10 scope . Great ground hog rifle at 150 yards I know .

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
FWIW Israel, who has a lot of real world experience, uses the Beretta 70 in .22 for their Sky Marshals, Mossad, Sayeret Matkal (special forces/hostage rescue) and the Israeli Police. When I visited with the IDF Air Force back in the 80's, their pilots carried PPKs in .22.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Depending on situation

I could see carrying an M&P15-22 w/25 rnds of Velociter on board and an extra 500-1000 rnds. in a pack over a similar load out with an AR15 in .223.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Strive to carry a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself, wherever, everywhere.
If a 22 lr is it because of fragility or its all ya got, that is one thing.
If its carried out of complacency "better than nothing" when one could do better, pitiful/sad.
If one carries a 22lr when they could do better, just say so and skip the rationalizations:
"nobody volunteer to get shot with it" (we know, they don't want to get hit with a rock either)
"it is lethal" (so is the flu, but it is not quickly incapacitating).
Barring limitation, doubtful a 22 is what one would prefer to defend life with. (back to 1st sentence)

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
My wife, who does not carry, would prefer to grab a .22 that she shoots well over a 9mm or .45 that she does not like to shoot. I'm not going to try to change her mind. No sir!

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I understand people with limited strength and mobility.
There are better options than the .22lr .

(Repetition for redundancy)

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
My wife shot her LCP in .380 next to her LCP2 in .22. She shot the .22 much more accurately and can actually manipulate it. As a bonus, it carries a few more shots. I would prefer if Ruger made a version in .32 for center fire reliability of ignition, but it's her choice.

With the price of ammo, I have a feeling a lot of us may be carrying .22 some day, especially when we retire and income is more limited. More than may want to admit it.

I want to get my hands on a .22 LCR (the J frames are going for stupid money now in .22) to try the trigger. If it's reasonable, I will pick one up for that day. I may also add another NAA Mini to the stable.

To me, .22 LR is the most useful chambering, and it is the only one I can truly stockpile. It's not the best but it can be pressed into service for quite a lot more than many give it credit for.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Howard, I like your videos. Always well done. The .22 lr has been done adauseam.

For self defense, the answer needs to be NO. Always NO. Words that violate forum rules NO.
I get limited strength and mobility. Still no. There are better options.
I would literally rather carry a sharp stick.
I'll see your sharp stick, and raise you a Ruger 10/22 with a BX25 mag, a Taurus TX22 with 16 rounds, a Ruger LCP2 with 10 rounds, and a NAA Mini with 5. All loaded with CCI Velociters or Mini Mags.

Still like those odds?

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Not all self defense is human vs human. Poisonous snakes are first to come to mind. When cutting weeds a 22 makes a perfectly good choice. For a survival rifle a 22 rifle again makes a good choice.
I think that's where Howards viewers got the idea of carrying lots of ammo.
A 22 will most certainly take a deer, or any of the small game animals. a 22 can easily take ducks off a pond, or birds off a limb. So I would put it way up the list for a survival rifle.
I have carried a 22 pistol a lot while out hunting . [ if I had to shoot something big I still have a long gun]. They have their uses! DR

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have decided that, starting right now, I am never again going to read or respond to another ".22 caliber for self-defense" thread.
Not kidding... I can't take it anymore.

·
Registered
21,467 Posts
To say there are better options than a 22 is presumptuous.

There are no better options than a 22 if it is the only option you can make do with.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wouldnt do it, not with with the availability of good calibers out there. My small caliber and gun right now is a .40 S&W 12 rounder. I trust it my life.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a LOT more problems with the reliability factor than the "stopping power".. All this stuff about about the meth head keeping on trying to get to your throat to kill after getting 8 rounds of .22 in his chest... That is not the usual outcome... As a wise man on YT once said while testing his LCP .22 LR-

"people tend to leave you alone when you start pokin' holes in 'em"

THAT would be the most common outcome on an interaction between a bad guy bent on mayhem, and a gun owner defending him/herself with a .22 pistol...

I felt perfectly protected with a .22 in my pocket,,, UNTIL all 10 rounds went bad and would not fire just from carrying it for several months... Then I went back to rimfire for carry, .. It was reliability, not "stopability" in my case...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts