Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have any experience with the Sig Mosquito? I'd like to pick up a .22 I can get dirt cheap ammo for just for fun shooting at the range. I'm not interested in using this as a defense weapon...

So, any thoughts on the Mosquito? Anybody have any other opinions on a fun .22 range gun? I'm not looking to spend a lot on it, so if you have any other reasonably priced options I'd love to consider them as well.

Thanks in advance, as always.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Walther P22...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ruger 22/45

Hey GDM, good to see you in a non backpacking forum, just a packing forum :)

big fan of the ruger 22/45s myself. Good solid guns, very accurate, reasonable price and quite reliable once broken in. And all the controls are just where they should be

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey booyha, new around here I see?

I appreciate your input. I'll be heading out hiking in about half an hour, as it were :).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Don't have any personal experience with the Sig, but you may take a look over here and read the owner comments.

I've had good luck with my Walther P22 though it is slightly picky about ammo and very picky about being limp-wristed.

You really can't go wrong with one of the Rugers, either the Mark III or the 22/45 model for a range gun. They're pretty much bullet-proof. I've even got one of the Single Six Convertibles with 22lr and 22 mag cylinders that's a blast if you like revolvers.

I also have a Smith & Wesson Model 41 that's about as nice as you can get (IMHO), but they are a bit pricey.

Hoss

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Mosquito but would agree that the Rugers make great plinkers. I have a 5.5" bull barrel 22/45 and love it. :yup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Both the Sig and the Walther are great little guns.......but both are very picky on the ammo......if you get the wrong ammo.....you'll spend more time racking the slide than shooting.......

Personally, my buddy has the Browning Buckmark, and my father in law has the Ruger Mark III. I would rather have either one of them for plinking....in fact, father in law has 3 Rugers and I usually shoot one of them when we are pistol plinking...... I love the Ruger!! :yup:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
In my experience, the sig Mosquito is a great feeling, well made handgun, but very ammo sensitive.... I would definately have one IN ADDITION to my Ruger 22/45, but NOT INSTEAD of!

My opinion would be to pick up a Ruger 22/45 for a lifetime of shooting fun.

surv

·
Registered
830 Posts
i'll go along with the Mark III suggestions. I actually prefer the mark III over the Mark II b/c of the mag release is in the "normal" place vs the bottom of the butt. I don't like the mag safety feature where it won't fire w/o the mag but in reality its not that big of a deal on a plinker. The Mark series are a pain in the butt to break down for cleaning if you do it all the way just fyi. if you're looking for a rifle then the ruger 10/22 is also an excellent plinker rifle.

Where in florida do you live if you're close enough to the range i go to you can always come out as my guest and fire off some rounds through my .22s to help you decide

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm a big fan of cool 22s. You can go as plain as Jane or all out with the Browning Buckmark. Here's one of my favorites. Buckmark/TacSol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice King! I like the Ruger......but that is a nice looking Buck!!
You should get rid of that........ I have a "friend" who would take it off your hands!! :danceban: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
one design flaw (in my humble opinion) I recently found out about the Buckmark is that the barrel lug, rather than being a part of the machined barrel assembly, is welded/soldered in. The only reason I found that out was that my gun shop buddy took one in on trade that had to be repaired by a machinist that was experienced enough to know how to reconnect the lug without destroying the integrity of the barrel or lug. I don't know if all Buckmarks are made similar to this. They are really great looking, and great shooters though.

surv

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Anything Ruger can't beat it.I have an old mark 2 auto and a Ruger revolver
22 witch has a cylinder for 22 magnum.they keep going bang no matter what.
Ruger 10/22 rifle you can really trick out and have a real nice rifle if you want.My rifle preference is Marlin 60,bolt Mossberg 36B.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Sig Mosquito, Ruger MkII, 22/45 MkIII, S&W 22A.
All are fun to shoot. The Rugers and Smith seem to be more accurate, but I think it's the longer sight radius combined with my eyes. The Sig does seem to prefer CCI as opposed to the bulk box the others feed on.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
even though I know the Sig Mosquito is, or can be, very ammo sensitive, I still want one in my collection as it most closely resembles my P239. Then again, my Ruger Mark II 22/45 has a very close feel to my 1911 as well.

Heck... get 'em all! There's no end to WANT! (need:image035:)

surv

oh... I also need the S&W Airweight .22 cal to match my 637, and something in .22 cal to match the Kahr CW9, and .....

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The firsst handgun I ever fired was a .22, Mom's(old, pre 1972) Browning Nomad and I love it. Until I uhm, inheirit it I picked up a Ruger MK III with a bull barrel and other than takedown for cleaning, I really like it.
My 12 year old daughter loves it too, and shoots it as well as I do, from day one.
You can't beat a .22 plinker for inexpensive family fun.:smile:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My .22 range gun is a Ciener conversion on my old GI 1911.

Works better for me than a separate gun that does not feel the same as my 1911.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
204 Posts
With the Sig in dbl action your finger needs to be bionic (#13lb.pull)!!!!
but all other aspects seem to be good. Lots of safetys.IMHO a great gun for teaching youth firearm safety(the very reason for my purchase).
Look at the sport version, longer bbl.,extra front sights,front barrel weight,and op. sight bridge.
Nice package.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts