Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not often, but on occasion we have seen rattlesnakes on the trail we like to hike. That in itself is a rarity around here. Other parts of the state, yes. Rattlesnakes are often seen, but not around here. So, my question may be naive, but are .22 shot shells of any use against a rattler or any snake for that matter?

·
Registered
36,192 Posts
Yes, but the range of them is so limited you have to get within snake-striking distance to make the shotshells effective. Kind of counter productive in that aspect.

I have used it to kills snakes, but again, if you really think the snake is that dangerous and want to use these, you'll either have to get too close for comfort or simply walk away. A snake's striking distance is pretty short, about 1-1 1/2 steps away. The only real conceivable time to use them, IMO, is when that cottonmouth drop into your boat with you and you don't want to shoot a hole in your boat or go swimming.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
No on the 22 shotshells for snakes. I have had them work on mice from 6 feet. The 38 shot shells are much better.

Here is the real deal though. In all the years working in the woods all over the western US I have never seen a snake I could not just avoid by going around. Some aggressive species are different though and need shot as are snakes in your yard so depends on where you are going. A single shot 410 shotgun is better than any pistol shot and pretty easy to carry. I carried one for years and the nice thing is I could put a Grouse or Rabbit in the pot as a bonus.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yes, but the range of them is so limited you have to get within snake-striking distance to make the shotshells effective. Kind of counter productive in that aspect.

I have used it to kills snakes, but again, if you really think the snake is that dangerous and want to use these, you'll either have to get too close for comfort or simply walk away. A snake's striking distance is pretty short, about 1-1 1/2 steps away. The only real conceivable time to use them, IMO, is when that cottonmouth drop into your boat with you and you don't want to shoot a hole in your boat or go swimming.
Carry FlexSeal!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've killed numerous rattlesnakes with CCI .22 shot shells at ten feet and less from a rifle. For a handgun the .38 shot shells are much better.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
I am another that prefers the .38 shotshells over the .22, larger and more shot.

Reactions: Goldy49

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I usually carry a 44 Mag with shotshells for snake duty. I've looked for shotcups for the 500 S&W but they don't seem to be available. 🤬

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Wouldn't be my 1st choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is one of those videos that really show that if you don't hit what you are aiming at, a 44 mag would not have done better! I shoot a lot of these shot shells. They have their place. When there is a snake in the barn, a pass through won't put a hole in the barn! I shoot them from 3 to 5' from the snake. and I usually shoot them from a rifle. at 5' the spread is about 3", and 2" at 3'.
A 6' snake could strike around 3'. That gives me the length of the rifle as a safety.
I have shot them with a revolver. It has a 5.5" barrel. at 3' it has about a 3" spread. it still is enough to stop a snake. But you have to hit them! In this video he didn't do much hitting! DR

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
.22 is ok but .38 thru a 2" barrel is the way to go.
keep in mind that longer barrel's will put a spin on the shot, creating a donut pattern. A 2" will send the shot out in a more concentrated pattern.

I've nailed snakes from as far as 20 feet with my Chief and CCI 38 shot loads. In the Spring & Summer, when I'm out on the property, that's my sidearm & load of choice.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As a kid, Dad used to send me into the barn to try to reduce the wharf rat population with a .22 rifle and rat shot. I would lie quietly in the loft above waiting for them to come out of their tunnels. I don't remember them being very effective. I'm sure I could count the number of kills on one hand. But that may not have been the ammo's fault!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
When I was a kid we kept a Remington Model 6 and some CCI shot shells around for copperheads. That made short work of them without getting too close. If you hit the mark, they will do the job. Snakes might also be one of the better justifications for a Judge.

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
I've always kept .22 shot cartridges on hand, all my life. I don't know why for experimenting with them on occasion in both rifle and handgun has always found them feeble and lacking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts