Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across this pic and added the calibers at the bottom. i figured there might be somebody out there that may want to see it...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I never realized how close a .32 and .380 are in size. Probably because I don't see any .32's.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Great pic. It kind of puts the whole size thing in to perspective.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here's one with .50 AE

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
i came across this pic and added the calibers at the bottom. i figured there might be somebody out there that may want to see it...

Gee, I don't remember the last time I saw a .357 with a RNL bullet. Gotta love that Keith SWC on the .45 Colt, though.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I was planning on my next purchase being a .40 This pic putting 9mm, .40, and .45 into perspective with each other I'm wondering if I would be better served just going to a .45. The 45 just kind of dwarfs the 9 and 40 in comparison. I've got two 9mms, two 38s, and a 357 Magnum. If I'm going to go to a larger round, why not jump to the 45? Any thoughts? I like the Glock 23 as I have shot my buddy's and only shot a 1911 .45 once.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Size does not matter!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Size can be deceptive, stay with your gut feelings:stups:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
My gut tells me my 357 Magnum is probably more effective than my 38 specials and 9mms. My gut also gets in the way of me carrying that tank. Many models the 40 and 45 are the same size weapon (only difference being capacity). I haven't studied ballistics to any great degree, so I can't really speak to advantages of one over the other. I wouldn't want to experience either of them for myself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Using a common size metric measurement: the 9mm is of course 9 millimeters in diameter (9x19mm NATO), the .40 S&W is 10 millimeters in diameter (10x22mm NATO) and the .45 ACP is 11.43 millimeters (11.43×23mm NATO).

What matters more is what is behind the bullet, as in the powder, gun and the shooter. All should be taken together as a package. If the shooter aims poorly, I don't care if you use a howitzer it won't matter, and an expert marksman might be fine with a .22WMR in a quality firearm.

Not trying to get a flame war about caliber or mine is better that yours, just trying to put a different perspective on things. So far everything I have is in the 9mm range (.380ACP is a 9x17mm NATO), but I am planning on expanding into the larger calibers as time goes on. .40 S&W is next and then into the .45ACP, unless I can get someone to give me an unwanted 1911. :hand10:

Whatever you go with, practice. Get good with it. That is what matters.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I was planning on my next purchase being a .40 This pic putting 9mm, .40, and .45 into perspective with each other I'm wondering if I would be better served just going to a .45. The 45 just kind of dwarfs the 9 and 40 in comparison. I've got two 9mms, two 38s, and a 357 Magnum. If I'm going to go to a larger round, why not jump to the 45? Any thoughts? I like the Glock 23 as I have shot my buddy's and only shot a 1911 .45 once.

The Marshall and Sanow study gives the .40 and .45 ACP identical effectiveness of 94% with the best loads, and I personally have guns chambered for both. I personally find the .45 ACP a little more pleasant to shoot because it's less "poppy" than the .40 round. On the other hand, with the .45 ACP you may end up with less reliable expansion with barrels shorter than 5 inches, whereas the .40 is designed to perform very well with shorter barrels. Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Size does not matter!!!!
No matter how many times she tells you that....

She's still lying :wink:

My thought is like this...

If you're in the market for a muscle car, and you have an option of buying a 71 Barracuda with the 340, or the 427 Hemi for basically the same cost, which do you buy?

A better question for you, Why NOT go with the 45?

·
Registered
38,214 Posts
What! No 10mm or .357 Sig? Outragous! Blasphemy!

·
Registered
866 Posts
booyah makes a good point... the .40 DOES have more power behind it than the .45..... LOL! just poking fun!

I like the pictures, kind of neat - but like it has been said already - the diameter of the bullet is only a SMALL part of its total effectiveness. Can you make the hits, and put them in vital spots during an adreneline surge is what is really important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts