Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new ar 15... It's a palmetto built upper on a mag tactical lower... Anyway, I shot it 10 times today and noticed after picking up the brass that there is an nick/scratch (deep) in each and every case!!!:( exact same spot!!! Is this caused by a burr in the chamber? Something else?
Thanks

·
Administrator
144,927 Posts
Your barrel chamber is just fine & there is nothing wrong w/ your rifle. :yup:
Congrats and happy shooting!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depends on what type of ammo you're using. I noticed with my very hot loads the brass would actually imprint the chamber grooves.

If you can post a picture of what you mean we can try to see the problem

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Not caused by the chamber but by striking some part of the rifle during ejection. Look around the ejection port and deflector for a small brass colored shiny spot, that will be where the brass is impacting and getting dented. I reload also and have not had any problems caused by small dents.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah thats not normal looks like there may be something in the chamber. I rarely come across brass like that.

I would recommend removing the upper and the barrel, and physically checking for any burs or defect.

·
Super Moderator
19,017 Posts
Might be the brass is impacting the rear or front portion of the chamber port. Try changing buffer weights or shooting a different load.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
What brand upper are you shooting? (does it have a brass deflector?)
Barrel length?
Gas system length?
What buffer are you running?
Are the ejected cases landing consistently in the same area?
Where are the ejected cases landing?

·
Registered
46,054 Posts
It's common with ARs/M-16s. Don't worry about it. It will go away on the next firing. I've been reloading them for years and it's never been an issue. Most every 5.56 case I collected in my service days has that identical smilie.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
It's common with ARs/M-16s. Don't worry about it. It will go away on the next firing. I've been reloading them for years and it's never been an issue. Most every 5.56 case I collected in my service days has that identical smilie.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.