Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 yo son has been using a Ruger MarkII Target Pistol, but it's a bit heavy for him. He's a little fella.

We were looking at a Ruger SR22 today that seemed very nice. What other options should we be considering. This is purely for target shooting at this point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I had a chance to shoot a buddy's M&P 22 once and really enjoyed it. Seemed light enough. He loves the thing.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a Taurus PT-22. It's picky about what ammo it eats. CCI mini mags work well, Winchester super X as well. I think I paid $200-230 range. It's about the same size as a lcp.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I like my Walther P-22 and it is light and designed for smaller hands. That being said, I should have bought a browning.

Reactions: jbum

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
The Walther P22 comes to mind, as does the Sig Mosquito, although they've had some quality issues.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger Single Six (or the smaller, lighter Bearcat) for a fun training gun. Yes, single action requires extra care (safety-wise) on the part of the shooter, but what better time to introduce it than with a young shooter? Get them working on sight alignment and trigger press, and on making every shot count - not just smelling the gunsmoke. Especially now, given the scarcity and cost of ammo.

The other thought that came to me is that if your MkII has a bull barrel, the gun isn't just heavy, it's got a pronounced forward weight bias. Fine for us adults, but fatiguing for Junior. If you could find the same gun (MkII or III; I favor the Mk II) with the 4-inch tapered barrel and fixed sights, I think that would be ideal. The balance with the short, tapered barrel is markedly different than with the bull barrel, and it might be just the ticket. I've seen used MkIIs in the $250-350 range.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a chance to shoot a buddy's M&P 22 once and really enjoyed it. Seemed light enough. He loves the thing.
M&P22 is a great adult shooter. The grips are kind of big for younger kids. My buddy's 10yo had a hard time hanging on to it, but great shooter and would definitely try to find it.

If I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider the Buckmark for my .22 pistol and if I were you I'd keep the Ruger and maybe go for something inexpensive like the Beretta U22 or S&W 22A if that fit the budget.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like my Walther P-22 and it is light and designed for smaller hands. That being said, I should have bought a browning.
Yea, What he said... I did buy the Browning. I still have the P-22 but agree it is good for small handed shooters. My grandchildren love to shoot the P-22

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get him a Colt New Frontier 22. Not only is it an excellent target pistol with adjustable sights, it's fairly light.

A few advantages are you'll teach him to appreciate fine firearms at an early age, and the gun will appreciate over time, rather than depreciate. It also has a 22 magnum cylinder available and between the 22LR and 22Mag he'll have a nice little hunting pistol, or carry pistol while hunting, all on one package.
saa.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My grandkids think my Ruger Bear Cat is the cats meow. It's small, light and accurate. If it's not cocked it's not going to shoot. I don't like semi automatic for young kids. For a 12 year old, with training and experience that exhibits goods safety precautions I would not have a problem with a semi auto.

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
The MK II/III Target has the bull barrel, which is a bit nose heavy. Have you tried the Ruger MK III Standard, with the shorter, tapered barrel? I find the balance on that gun much better, and it's quickly becoming my favorite.

As noted above, the Buckmarks are a bit lighter and nice pistols too.

For target plinking at a reasonable price, I've found the Rugers and Brownings the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the SR22 better than the P22 or Mosquito if you decide to go that way. Other than that, I would be tickled to have any of the gun mentioned here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the M&P22 and my 7 year old handles it very well. His hands are still a little small for the grip, but he has no problems holding it steady as far as weight is concerned. He's also shot the Walther P22 and really liked it, too. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Look at the Ruger Bearcat. If ya just have to have a simi-auto take a look at the Browning 1911 .22. Exposed hammers are a good idea for new shooters.

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Another vote for the Ruger Lite.

The entire upper is made from aluminum and it has a steel sleeve in the barrel for the rifling. This makes for a very light, yet accurate handgun.
Since he is already familiar with the Ruger, why not?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll second the Ruger 22/45 Lite. We have one and my 8 yo daughter loves it and shoots it very well. :)

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I have a Sig Mosquito, and I say do not get one. It is an o.k. design, but you are shopping for a smaller shooter. The Sig is not full size, but it is close. The DA trigger pull is full weight. It is a good training tool, especially if you are practicing those backward controls on every Sig.
The M&P 22 is also a mock up of the full size pistol.

The Walther P22 is significantly smaller than a service caliber pistol.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've got a few 22's but the one my kids seem to shoot most often is my cheap little Phoenix HP22A. think I paid $140. my next will be a M&P 22.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts