Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"On April 11, 1986 at 0945 hours, an incident occurred that would ultimately turn law enforcement on its head. About an hour earlier, a group of FBI agents initiated a rolling stakeout in search of two robbery and homicide suspects. A vehicle stolen from a shooting victim had been identified. The suspect vehicle was located and a felony stop was initiated. During the stop, the suspect vehicle was forced off the road. The two suspects emerged from their vehicles and opened fire with a shotgun, .223 caliber rifle, and two .357 caliber revolvers. The ensuing gun battle resulted in the deaths of the two suspects as well as two FBI agents. Five other agents were wounded in the battle. The tactics employed, weapons used, and physical and physiological reactions of those involved sparked huge changes in the law enforcement world."

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
The full report and summary conclusions should be required reading for anyone who carries a gun.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have personally seen the uncut video of this tragedy. My ex-wife's cousin worked and retired from the FBI in Miami-Dade and knew everyone of the agents and still has the film.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have a copy of the video form the re-enactment of the chase and shootout. Lots to learn from it and so sorry for the losses, but lessons well learned from it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
"On April 11, 1986 at 0945 hours, an incident occurred that would ultimately turn law enforcement on its head. About an hour earlier, a group of FBI agents initiated a rolling stakeout in search of two robbery and homicide suspects. A vehicle stolen from a shooting victim had been identified. The suspect vehicle was located and a felony stop was initiated. During the stop, the suspect vehicle was forced off the road. The two suspects emerged from their vehicles and opened fire with a shotgun, .223 caliber rifle, and two .357 caliber revolvers. The ensuing gun battle resulted in the deaths of the two suspects as well as two FBI agents. Five other agents were wounded in the battle. The tactics employed, weapons used, and physical and physiological reactions of those involved sparked huge changes in the law enforcement world."
Thanks for reminding us of this day. We all know the lessons, but often fail to remember how they came to pass.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I have read much about this encounter. Many mistakes made. Never underestimate your enemy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just watched the video on YouTube.
Wow.
I am speechless.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts

Reactions: mano3

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This event gave birth to the 10mm Kurz! Most LEOs carry the round as it is known as the .40 S&W! :yup:

Also give us the story that the FBI were not skilled enough to handle the recoil from a full load 10mm so they developed the lighter load of the .40 S&W! :blink: That is always good enough to start a girly man debate! :image035:

Reactions: CWOLDOJAX

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...after watching these videos...tell me that a .32 or .380 is enough...tell me there's no reason for a civilian to carry a backup...tell me you don't need spare ammo...the FBI spends unlimited amounts of time and ammo training and are among the best...but look what happened here and tell me what's enough...
...no, we're not all LEOs, but that makes it all the more likely that help won't be near if we ever get into trouble...there's wishin', there's hopin', there's prayin'...and there's PREPARIN'...we oughta be about doin' ALL of the above...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Did this incident cause the 1986 automatic weapons law?
No the automatic weapons law was passed in 1934 and requires the tax stamp to own a automatic weapon.

The 1986 was the assault weapons band.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually, 1986 was the ban on civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons made after that date.

1996 was the assault weapons ban.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Checked these two robbers had an interesting history. One had been a Marine the other an Army Ranger. Not your average thugs but who knows what ticket you draw?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts