Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Confession time: sometimes I clean mine, even if they haven't been fired recently. And....this is more embarassing.....sometimes I just sit and admire them. Mostly the 1911's, but sometimes the revolvers and lever actions, too. :redface:
Ok you got me on the cleaning part. I've never admire my guns tho. They are tools to me not art.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
That would suggest 1a is being upheld at the point of a gun?

Bolded: Been that way since before the country was created. Only 3% of the population in the colonies wanted to be free from British rule.
Im saying I think if the government had succeeded at making us a "gun free" country, or at least at a rate faster than they currently are, then they would be even less afraid trample on other rights. I think the way things are going there isnt going to be some civil war like people say, however, the capability for the citizens to remove any level of government we want to certainly exists. For that reason, they are slowly changing societies views of rights to avoid any real repercussions. Slowly boiling the frog if you will.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
They may go hand in hand, but not the level of disparity we see here. How many sub forums of discussion? I count 26. The two most posts and views are general discussion and humor sections, 3rd is second amendment. There are 252,335 threads and 4,720,000 posts on this forum. There are 229,471 post on the 2A alone. That's 4.8% of total posts. Just to give that some more weight, there's 76,345 in the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training section which is barely 1%. It's a disproportionate number IMO
Maybe that's because it's actually something to discuss? You can only talk about "what gun belt" so many times before it becomes nauseating.

Also the 2A section is a catch all for Dems wanting to ban/confiscate/limit etc. Which there has been a TON of over the past few years and it's getting worse.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Maybe that's because it's actually something to discuss? You can only talk about "what gun belt" so many times before it becomes nauseating.

Also the 2A section is a catch all for Dems wanting to ban/confiscate/limit etc. Which there has been a TON of over the past few years and it's getting worse.
Hence the very reason I started this thread, 2a discussions are becoming nauseating :biggrin2:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I consider the 2A to be very important in defense of Liberty--private and public. Infringements are the meat and milk of simps and workers of evil since the beginning of everything. I think the great sturm und drang over the Second is because it is a quintessential symbol of American Freedom that our putative friends and real enemies want to erase. We of mere common intellect are constantly attacked by endless impositions on our lives by infringements from every. single. possible. angle. about every single aspect of a free person's life. And many of us are angry about it because we feel powerless to do anything about our discontent. It seems to me that the angst about the 2A is because it's an easy focal point for our sometimes unreasonable anger about a whole host of evil things purveyed by evil people. The 2A is a potent symbol and so are the constant assaults upon it and so, becomes a locus for anger about not only the 2A itself, but everything else filthy liberals have foisted upon us.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Im saying I think if the government had succeeded at making us a "gun free" country, or at least at a rate faster than they currently are, then they would be even less afraid trample on other rights. I think the way things are going there isnt going to be some civil war like people say, however, the capability for the citizens to remove any level of government we want to certainly exists. For that reason, they are slowly changing societies views of rights to avoid any real repercussions. Slowly boiling the frog if you will.
I sorta agree with your premise, and I say sorta because I believe every pol can be taken down without a shot fired by tens of thousands of highly trained citizens. The gun won't take gov officials down enmasse so much as small raiding parties attacking them, taking them out of the equation in sufficient numbers for the remainder to lose all interest in any further actions.

Anyone can be taken out of the equation with advance planning and sufficient intel on schedules, habits :wink:

·
Premium Member
33,894 Posts
I think you are stretching the definition of a right. What you describe is an unfortunate sign of our times, but there have always been opinions that if expressed publicly, would have drastic repercussions. Saying you were gay, Communist or un-American used to have drastic repercussions. In some places, even saying you were Jewish was a problem.

This may seem off topic, but I think it is illustrative. A great story I read was about Col. Greg "Pappy" Boyington, who was of course a WWII flying ace, Medal of Honor winner and prisoner of war. On leave during the war, he attended a baseball game in civilian clothes. He of course stood up for the national anthem, but during the seventh inning stretch, they played "God Bless America" on the organ, which had become common practice in WWII. He remained seated for it and was actually attacked by people sitting around him. The problem was, even though that tune had been written by Irving Berlin years earlier, it did not become popular until after the war started. He was not protesting. He didn't recognize it as a patriotic song, nor did he know of the convention of standing up for it, because he had been overseas during that time being a hero!
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines if the results of expressing something perceived as negative or derogatory about whatever group, other than conservative whites.

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines if the results of expressing something perceived as negative or derogatory about whatever group, other than conservative whites.
I know that is the common wisdom and the media has hyped examples of that, but do you have any personal experiences of "disastrous repercussions" from "expressing something perceived as negative or derogatory about a group?" I am not being snarky, I am really interested. I generally speak my mind, I am not very PC at all and that has never happened to me or to anyone I have actually met. I think that phenomenon has been blown out of proportion. Sure, there are places you would get in trouble for saying certain things, but that has always been true. Yelling the N-word in an inner city area has always been likely disastrous.

I think the liberal media has tried to create a "spiral of silence" by making everyone think there will be disastrous repercussions for being non-PC.

·
Premium Member
33,894 Posts
I know that is the common wisdom and the media has hyped examples of that, but do you have any personal experiences of "disastrous repercussions" from "expressing something perceived as negative or derogatory about a group?" I am not being snarky, I am really interested. I generally speak my mind, I am not very PC at all and that has never happened to me or to anyone I have actually met. I think that phenomenon has been blown out of proportion. Sure, there are places you would get in trouble for saying certain things, but that has always been true. Yelling the N-word in an inner city area has always been likely disastrous.

I think the liberal media has tried to create a "spiral of silence" by making everyone think there will be disastrous repercussions for being non-PC.
Personal experience? No, because I really watch what I say. As far as examples go, Paula Deen immediately comes to mind. Then there were a couple cake makers. A cop recently got nailed for having an antique klan membership application displayed. Social media posts are costing lots of people big time.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
While I do actively support the pro-2A movement, it is not the most I gripe about. The biggest concern, is the division among the citizens. Color, sex, ideology, religion, the 2A, etc.. are being used to separate this country. There is no more collective thought, it's all about "me" and how "I'm being victimized". Nobody cares about their neighbor anymore and tries to find any fault that could be used against them. Once this country gets so far divided that no one gives a damn about anyone else's rights except their own, the Gov will come in and pull the rug out from under us and we will all fall. It will be to late to change course and will take generations to get back on track, if it ever does. We are at the end of the line for the U.S as we know it, soon it will be just bedtime stories of how great this country use to be.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
What’s scariest to me is how some don’t see the damage others do when they “Gecko 45” out in public, just “because they can”. The environment right now is not one in which we need people pushing the limits of societal norms. And I’m not talking about what some believe societal norms should be (with people walking around looking like Rambo)...I’m talking about the norms society has decided for us. One in which walking into a Walmart the week after a mass shooting, looking like a member of Seal Team 6, is not considered normal behavior.

The selfishness and lack of understanding of basic human emotion is astonishing. It’s either dumb or sociopathic...I can’t decide which.

This has nothing to do with 2A. It has to do with people refusing to comprehend how people in a society behave. And these people are going to succeed in screwing it up for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Mike stated part of whats behind this post here Walmart OC and associated threads immediately come to mind.

When people think their 2A right trumps private business owners rights, we've crossed into the twilight zone of singularity. There's a LOT of whining going on about "their rights" trumping anyone else's rights.

YOUR 2A rights end where my business rights begin. Period. If someone thinks their rights trump my business rights, watch how fast they get removed if they give me any crap about their 2A rights being violated. :smile:
This has been a hotly argued subject all during the eight years I've been on this board. Some things never change.

Others include:

Right to carry in someone's home when the person doesn't want you carrying
OC v. CC
Right to carry in gun ranges
Right to sue a business if you cannot carry and then are injured by an armed assailant while in the business
And on and on....

That being said, I think the 2A is a critical right, just as is the 1A....but I am only really concerned about Government infringement...I don't care what private citizens or private entities do.

·
Super Moderator
23,363 Posts
Rights are misunderstood, and too often confused with desires.

Look at the Libertarian discussions of rights. Focus on natural rights and the non-aggression principle.

We are also our own worst enemies.

·
Banned
117 Posts
When voting for a candidate I will continue to vote for those who are pro 2A and anti-abortion. That is my litimus test and it won't change. In regard to the 2A, I feel that if someone is willing to strike down such an abundantly clearly defined right, then they will have no problem allowing the violating of others.
What if said candidate was pro 2A and pro abortion?
What if said candidate was anti 2A and anti abortion?

·
Premium Member
33,894 Posts
What if said candidate was pro 2A and pro abortion?
What if said candidate was anti 2A and anti abortion?
The forces that keep us divided make certain such choices in candidates aren't offered.

·
Premium Member
33,894 Posts
This has been a hotly argued subject all during the eight years I've been on this board. Some things never change.

Others include:

Right to carry in someone's home when the person doesn't want you carrying
OC v. CC
Right to carry in gun ranges
Right to sue a business if you cannot carry and then are injured by an armed assailant while in the business
And on and on....

That being said, I think the 2A is a critical right, just as is the 1A....but I am only really concerned about Government infringement...I don't care what private citizens or private entities do.
I have one concern only in that realm. Will I be charged with a felony if it is revealed that I am carrying?

41 - 60 of 139 Posts