·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real Title: Gun control: Cartridge ID law to take effect
SFGate.com
Bob Egelko
Updated 8:39 pm, Friday, May 17, 2013

A hotly contested gun-control law that was passed in 2007 is finally ready to be implemented, Attorney General Kamala Harris said Friday: a requirement that every new semiautomatic handgun contain "micro-stamping" technology that would allow police to trace a weapon from cartridges found at a crime scene.

The law, signed by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, made California the first state to require micro-stamping, which engraves the gun's serial number on each cartridge. But the legislation specified that it would take effect only when the technology was available and all private patents had expired.

......But at a Los Angeles news conference Friday, Harris announced that micro-stamping had cleared all technological and patenting hurdles and would be required on newly sold semiautomatics, effective immediately.

"The patents have been cleared, which means that this very important technology will help us as law enforcement in identifying and locating people who have illegally used firearms," Harris said.

Read more: Gun control: Cartridge ID law to take effect - SFGate

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Hmmmmm, I think the CA DOJ list of approved guns just went to zero, except revolvers. Wonder if that's what the LEO's will use now.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I'd bet that NY ain't far behind. Bloomberg is probably sketching up the law right now.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd bet that NY ain't far behind. Bloomberg is probably sketching up the law right now.
IIRC, microstamping was brought up in the NY legislature late last year or early this year. It go voted down, or never made it out of committee. Same session that the bullet casing database was finally killed, as it hadn't solved a single crime in the several years it had been sucking down millions of dollars.

Yeah, I'll bet the new semi-auto handgun market in CA goes to about zero. Does the law also apply to guns purchased for LEOs?

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I had heard the actual technology was non existent. Just because something is patented doesn't mean it's feasible.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Will the micro stamped part also become a "registered" component or part of the gun? Adding more cost and complexity to the ownership process. It is easy to contemplate the ease of defeating this too.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
The only effect I can imagine is that moving companies will have increased business.:wave:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Antis are all over the map. They want to restrict guns to "common use at the time" yet apply any modern technology to attack 2A, which Scalia says allows some restrictions of firearms. Scalia's majority opinion in Heller alludes to prohibitions on "dangerous and unusual weapons". But for too long, CA has been dictating to the market. That's not regulation. It's just wrong.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
"The patents have been cleared, which means that this very important technology will help us as law enforcement in identifying and locating people who have illegally used firearms," Harris said.

The bold wording stuck me as hilarious :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pssssssssttttttt law enforcement criminals do not get their weapons legally nor use them legally........ Then again we are speaking of California......

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I got a feeling LEO's in Cali will be using slingshots since there is NO GUN MANUFACTURER going to go to the expense to microstamp either firing pins,or bolt faces just to appease one or 2 States,I got a feeling they will do the same thing Barrett did and if Cali says Citizens guns must be micro stamped but then waiver LEO purchases I gots a feeling the Manufacturers will tell Cali to pound sand

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Wonder how many minutes it will take some banger to figure out how to file off the stamping boss??? More useless Toro Feces

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

The bold wording stuck me as hilarious :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pssssssssttttttt law enforcement criminals do not get their weapons legally nor use them legally.
LE knows this. But the CA AG is the politically-motivated ostrich, here, believing in fairies and pixie dust.

For my quarter, here's how it'll play out: Mr. Johnson reports a stolen firearms collection; 23 violent felonies occur over the coming year; 6 firearms or casings are recovered from those felonies; LE comes to Mr. Johnson to investigate; felons continue to do what they're doing, unbeknownst to Mr. Johnson or LE, or even the AG (who seems to believe she's got insights into how this all should work in Utopia). Trouble is, we're not in Utopia. Utopia's a fantasy; it doesn't exist. AG ... you gettin' that??

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
So, assuming anyone actually makes these new stamping guns here is how I see this playing out. You go to the range and can't find all you're brass. Some perp comes in and picks up your brass. Later, the perp spreads your brass around a crime scene and picks up his. While ballistics will ultimately clear you, you will loose your gun, maybe your job and certainly a lot of money defending yourself.

Even if you pick up all your brass, unless you melt it down, it could be stolen or, if you recycle it, stolen from the recycler. This will cause a lot of aggravation and cost for little to no gain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The word "kamala" means ghastly, or horrible, or dreadful in Finnish. What an appropriate name for California's Attorney General. The micro chipping will no doubt create another multimillion dollar bureaucracy to administer, with absolutely no impact on crime. Garbage in, garbage out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts