1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published May 24, 2013
Associated Press

New York sheriffs voice opposition to strict gun law, seek to join lawsuit

ALBANY, N.Y. – County sheriffs have asked to join the federal lawsuit challenging New York's tough new gun restrictions, calling some provisions vague and impossible to enforce fairly.

The New York State Sheriffs' Association and five individual sheriffs are asking U.S. District Judge William Skretny to add their position to the record. They support gun rights advocates seeking to block enforcement of new bullet limits for magazines and the tighter definition of assault weapons.

The sheriffs agree with the New York affiliate of the National Rifle Association that the law, passed after the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, is unconstitutional because it will prevent citizens from keeping commonly used firearms for home defense.

Read more: New York sheriffs voice opposition to strict gun law, seek to join lawsuit | Fox News

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Good for them. I'm happy to see so many Sheriffs in this country standing up for these unconstitutional laws.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Those who fail to recertify permits will have licenses revoked and will be required to surrender firearms.
This makes me incredibly angry. If the local government wants your firearms then they should pay for them. Let's consider someone using a car to commit a crime. The vehicle is seized and that's the end of story. I don't see anyone getting their vehicles seized if they don't renew their driver's license...or insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
...I don't see anyone getting their vehicles seized if they don't renew their driver's license...or insurance.
Happens every day.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
206 Posts
It states you will be required to surrender your firearms. Would this include long guns too? I am assuming it would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts