Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new shooter. Recently picked up an M&P 9c, but am not conceal carrying yet, as I am waiting on my CHP to come from the state. I did pick up a Remora 2 in 1 Clip/No Clip holster and have just quickly tried concealing the gun at 5 o'clock IWB with a black t-short over it. It looks like I have a circular saw under my shirt lol. Part of the problem is, I have some flat tire action going on, and most of it is around my sides and lower back.

Anyway, I guess I will need to experiment with the angle of the holster, etc, to see if I can get it to conceal better. But just for fun, I have been bitten by the bug, so am now looking at other smaller pistols for summer, or for when I am wearing my work clothes, which consist of khakis and tucked in dress shirts.

I am thinking I might stick with the M&P series and get a Shield, but is it smaller enough than the 9c to justify it, or should I be looking at some 380's, such as the Kahr CW380 or similar? I am really liking the Shield, the LC-9S, and the PPS as single stack 9's, and the Kahr and the new LCP as 380's, but have never shot any of the ones I listed. We just joined a range, so we can get some free rentals as part of the deal, and we will use those to try out some. Budget is a problem or else I would be looking at Sigs! :yup:

It's just fun to look and speculate which gun to buy next! I thought maybe this would start an good discussion thread.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
You are looking in the right direction with your choices. I'm partial to the Walther PPS 9mm. I don't think you can go wrong with the S&W Shield either and it's somewhat less expensive.
I would add to your search a Sig P938. I don't think you will be unhappy with any of the 9mm's on your list.

Most .380's are small an concealable but are not always the most fun to shoot. .380 ammo is over priced IMO and not always available everywhere. With the upcoming elections, it's anyone's guess as to where shortages will occur but .380 and .22lr ammo is usually hit or miss any time there is a shortage.

Reactions: txs171

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shield is a good choice. Look into appendix (1 o'clock) carry, inside the waistband.
I think I have a slightly irrational fear of appendix carry due to where the pistol is aiming, but I am sure it's safe!

Does appendix carry work well for middle aged guys with a belly? I was thinking it was for skinny guys!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are looking in the right direction with your choices. I'm partial to the Walther PPS 9mm. I don't think you can go wrong with the S&W Shield either and it's somewhat less expensive.
I would add to your search a Sig P938. I don't think you will be unhappy with any of the 9mm's on your list.

Most .380's are small an concealable but are not always the most fun to shoot. .380 ammo is over priced IMO and not always available everywhere. With the upcoming elections, it's anyone's guess as to where shortages will occur but .380 and .22lr ammo is usually hit or miss any time there is a shortage.
I actually have to correct myself: I actually have shot a PPS and a CCP. My wife and I rented those two the first time we went to the range after our Handgun 1 class (where we used their 22 pistols). I recall that I liked them both, but the CCP has a bad reputation.

Yeah, my wife and I drool over the Sigs! I wish we had the cash for them. Might be worth saving up for!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I highly recommend the Walther PPS. it beats out the G43 and even Performance Center Shield in every comparison video I've seen. It's super slim. It handles like a full sized gun. Super reliable and durable. Great ergonomics. And versatility of 6,7, and 8!round mags with different length base plates. Excellent carry gun and operates just like you M&P9c.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you like the M&P 9C, a Shield in 9mm would seem to be a good choice, especially at the prices they're going for now. As far as whether it is enough smaller than your M&P 9C to make a difference, according to the S&W website the Shield is .6" shorter in length and .3" taller, although it doesn't indicate which magazine they are measuring it with. The key difference, to me, is that the Shield is about 1/4" thinner (1.18 vs .95).

I have an earlier Walther PPS with the paddle magazine release, bought just before I learned about the M2. :rolleyes:

I carry it more than any other gun. It's so flat that it disappears IWB, and with the right pants and the 6-rd flush fit magazine I can pocket carry as well.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I have the M&P 9 Compact in a Sticky holster. I carry it in my front pocket. Works well as my back up gun. I like RDR holsters for IWB carry on my M&P guns. I also like
Foxx holster for my Glock 19, again IWB. Plan on buying several holsters it's like accessorizing for men. (yes that is a sexist statement). Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
IMO, if you have trouble concealing a M&P 9c, you're going to have trouble with a Shield.

1. Try the appendix in-the-waist carry (AIWB). I have a spare tire, and when I cinch my belt the gun disappears into my belly. I carry a 1911 Commander, which is larger than your 9c, with no issues. Since you are uncomfortable, unload the gun and appendix carry around the house for a couple of weeks. You'll see that the gun won't go off if properly holstered. The main safety issue is during holstering. With AIWB, you always remove the holster and point it in a safe direction when reholstering, then put the holster back on your belt.

2. Consider a pocket carry gun. Very easy to conceal, and it's in your hand when you need it. Check out the LCP, P3-AT, DB380, or maybe Glock 42 (it works for pocket carry usually, but a bit large if wearing slacks).

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Most of the 380's are pocket sized pistols and have a place but maybe not as a primary carry . The shield is a thinner lighter pistol that can be carried on the front half of your body , or on most peoples body also . I carried a like sized cw9 kahr and a larger tp40 in front of my hip canted to the rear . Driving a sitting was fine and access was easy BUT your going to want a different holster . Something like a Foxx Holsters - Deluxe Trapp or there Little Hybrid might work well of a smaller pistol and a shield will cover under a loose fit shirt T or button down tucked or un tucked too . Looser fit is at a premium for carry . The M&P9c might work better at a 3:30 to 4:00 carry position with enough forward cant so the grip does not show , 15* maybe and its nice to be able to adjust height . A prefer a Comp-Tac Neutral for larger handguns and conceal a pistol closer to a m&p full size , sig p320 compact at 3:30 or a 1911 ultra at 3:00 as this holsters is extremely adjustable and comfortable . It would be advisable for you to stay with the M&P line as grip angle and basic trigger pull is about the same . With the m&p9c you can carry a full size mag as back up and with an Xgrip for range use .

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the same debate. I was deciding between the Glock 43, MP Shield, and Walther PPS M2. I didn't like the trigger pull of the shield, the travel was long and I couldn't accurately time my break point but you may be different since you have a MP already. The glock was ok but it was difficult to grip and maintain on target and of course the trigger wasn't nearly as nice. I ended up going with the PPS M2. You do need to buy a grip because the handle doesn't stay in your hands well, but after a $10 amazon buy I love this gun. The trigger, I felt, was the best and I am dead accurate with it even with double taps. It is a tad bit heavier than the other 2 but honestly best way to go is shoot them all and compare the sizes.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you are truly new to shooting, I would suggest you master that gun before you get another.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I have an LCP but it is a secondary firearm. I myself really like 9mm. I trust it more than .380ACP. I carry a Fullsize Glock G17. If I wanted a SS9mm it would be between the Shield, Walther PPS M2, Glock G43 and Ruger LC9S Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When I first started CCin' I bought the 9c. I even tried stuffing the gun down my pants several different ways. My second purchase was the LCP which had just come out...it still gets carried a lot.

I eventually ditched the 9c (along with a 229, pt145, and g26) and at some point "discovered" the OWB leather pancake and haven't looked back. The Shield and G2 are now my 9mm CC pistols along with my LCP being pocket carried when it's needed. In conceal carry for my personal taste and carry style I can't go thicker than the G2, and that's where the Shield and G2 shine.

My shield I can shoot accurately out to 25 yards pretty well against the plates, and the G2 isn't far behind. The LCP gets a little sketchy past 10 yards for me...

Trust me when I say this the difference between a 9c and Shield is huge carry wise. Shooting wise I can shoot much better with my shield than my 9c. I can't say enough good things about the Shield, accurate, thin, accurate, easy to conceal, accurate, easy on the wallet...and most important of all ultra reliable.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I carry a 9c most days , unless it is really hot weather and I am wearing minimal clothing(light weight shorts, t shirt). The slimmer shield will hide slightly better, however if you are new, it may just be you notice more that others. Also a larger , print shirt helps hide any bump you might have under a shirt.

Try concealing around the home and see if your wife notices. Don't tell her ahead of time. Mastering one gun is a good idea too. Why make it more difficult to learn and improve by adding another gun in the mix?

Reactions: Linejudgemick

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I would recommend a S&W Model 638 or 637.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ruger LC9s or Kahr CT/CW9. Good quality, economical and easy to shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I actually have to correct myself: I actually have shot a PPS and a CCP. My wife and I rented those two the first time we went to the range after our Handgun 1 class (where we used their 22 pistols). I recall that I liked them both, but the CCP has a bad reputation.

Yeah, my wife and I drool over the Sigs! I wish we had the cash for them. Might be worth saving up for!
I'd probably save up for what I really wanted but if you feel you need to buy now, the Shield and the LC9 are both good pistols and moderately priced.

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Loving all this great advice. Great suggestions, and nothing I'd disagree with. We have winter coming, so we will be able to conceal a little easier, which will give us more time to master our pistols, research, and rent some of these pistols to try, along with time to save money.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts