Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new 3.75'' super black hawk from the ffl today during my lunch break. I debated myself between this, a 3.75'' vaquero birds head .44, and a smith and wesson 3'' 629 deluxe. Narrowed it down to the 2 rugers, and decided to go with the super blackhawk for the adjustable sights as I might take this into the deer woods. Haven't done a thing to it other than open the box. Fit and finish is good, and everything is tight. Got a hodgepodge of leftover factory loads and some handloads I made for my super redhawk. Hopefully I can get out into the sticks at some point this weekend and abuse some steel.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Nice. I opted for the "Birds Head Vaquero" in 45 L.C. when I went shopping for a "stubby powerhouse". You are going to love it I'm sure!

Reactions: craze

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
@craze, what type of holster are you thinking about for that?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
@craze, what type of holster are you thinking about for that?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I opted for the "Birds Head Vaquero" in 45 L.C. when I went shopping for a "stubby powerhouse". You are going to love it I'm sure!
Yes, I came real close to going that way. Love the look of those things. I may yet get one just for working over steel plates.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
34,561 Posts
I had a .357 BH with a 4-5/8 barrel and I could miss the sky with it, shooting straight up. I sold it and bought the .41 Mag BH with a 6-1/2 barrel and shot it probably the best I have ever shot a handgun. Go figure. I miss that .41.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Enjoy it. Mine has a little more barrel and will definitely draw attention in a closed range. It's a BLAST, literally.

I'm still using the same holster but on a cartridge belt now. The rounds are Hornady's 225g FTX.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Very nice! I will always enjoy seeing Ruger revolvers showing up on this forum. Especially big bores.

I personally like to collect "woods guns" as an excuse to keep picking up revolvers (a hobby I intend to get more serious about once I'm no longer a poor student) and that exact Ruger is on my list. Not at the top but not at the bottom either.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Very nice...........

Reactions: craze

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Very nice Super Blackhawk! Now you need a classic leather rig from El Paso Saddlery and you will be set!:35:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ruger catches up with me eventually - First I cut a SBH to 5 1/2 with a blackhawk gripframe, hammer and trigger (35 yrs ago - 10 yrs before Ruger offered a 5 1/2 blackhawk. Next (30 yrs ago) I cut a stainless SBH to 3 5/8 with a polished aluminum gripframe and shortened aluminum ejector housing. It looks just like yours but is about 1/2 lb lighter. Heaven to carry, a real handful with full loads - I usually shoot 10gr AA #5 behind a 240SWC.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Ruger catches up with me eventually - First I cut a SBH to 5 1/2 with a blackhawk gripframe, hammer and trigger (35 yrs ago - 10 yrs before Ruger offered a 5 1/2 blackhawk. Next (30 yrs ago) I cut a stainless SBH to 3 5/8 with a polished aluminum gripframe and shortened aluminum ejector housing. It looks just like yours but is about 1/2 lb lighter. Heaven to carry, a real handful with full loads - I usually shoot 10gr AA #5 behind a 240SWC.
Welcome to the forum, from Texas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts