Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBC News - Working gun made with 3D printer

Okay this is a plastic gun that uses a rubber band and a nail to fire a bullet. Criminals have been making these type of guns from pieces of pipe and wood for over 100 years now. I think there would be a lot cheaper ways to make a gun than with an $8,000 3-d printer.

Why the hoopla?

Reactions: BugDude

·
Super Moderator
18,515 Posts
I’m surprised all the anti-gun groups haven’t started screaming for a ban on 3-D printers for just this reason. Remember all the wailing when Glocks :adore: were first introduced, OMG they’re plastic and will not show up on metal detectors.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
That's neat, but that's about it. Wonder how durable it is at this point.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using Home Depot for parts I think I could build about 2,000 guns for his initial $8,000 investment, and I bet that PVC, 2x4's rubberbands and nails are cheaper than the printer cartridges that his fancy 3-D printer uses.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
329 Posts
I believe 3D printers will be in every home in the future. You can build/buy printers for MUCH less than $8000. The prices are only going to decrease. If all someone has to do to create a functional firearm is plug in a few .cad files and press print, the government cannot effectively regulate firearms. That's the big hoopla.

·
Super Moderator
18,197 Posts
One round today...sometime in the future they will be unlimited.

As for the people that advocate banning this technology because it might be used by criminals...piss on em. If inventors had that sort of mindset we'd still be in the stone age.

·
Banned
436 Posts
One round today...sometime in the future they will be unlimited.

As for the people that advocate banning this technology because it might be used by criminals...piss on em. If inventors had that sort of mindset we'd still be in the stone age.
And with the current political environment, we are returning there as rapidly as the MIC can push us.

(MIC == Morons In Charge)

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
$5 worth of parts in a hardware store and you can make a zip gun in less than 5 minutes. Liberals don't seem to understand that firearms are fairly primitive technology.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Back in the day, the gang-bangers used a stolen car radio antenna, a block of wood, a rubber band, and a few screws, nails, etc.

Seems it's gotten a lot more complicated (and expensive) to make a zip gun in the 21st century.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
After researching some people using the 3d printers, I believe that a person would be much better off making a zip gun from stuff at the hardware store than trying to 3d print one. I see highly technical people struggling to print a plastic figurine. One guy spent 72 hours to print one. Plus there is a lot of finishing work that is done by hand just to make things have a smooth finish and fit together. 3d printers are nowhere near the level where you just send it a CAD drawing and it spits out the finished product. There is at least as much work going into a finished product as if you created a gun in a metal shop. Even then the product is not as durable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with the lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins." -Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, Mafia Informant
Relax, 3d printers are going to be banned.
Just put Big Brother Bloomberg on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." -Adolf Hitler
Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with the lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins." -Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, Mafia Informant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts