Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the county I live we are limited to carrying a knife with a 3 inch maximum blade length. What I'm looking for is a spring assisted, self defense backup weapon/utility knife, probably with a clip or drop point blade, with a price range of under $100.00.

Recommendations please!!

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
SOG and kershaw seem to make decent assisted opening knives. make sure thay are legal in your area though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd recommend anything from cold steel, benchmade, kershaw, sog, gerber, crkt, etc. stuff like that. There are so many options that you have to look at them for yourself. Your choices are endless. Go to ebay or gunbroker and check out what they have. You'll get to see tons of different options.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch... your requirement for assisted openers with a 3" blade useful for self-defense really limits things.

Kershaw makes the best assisted openers by far... unfortunately they are all 3 3/8" blade or longer, except for the G-10 Leek (model 1660G10). I gotta say that of all the Leeks, I like the G-10 the best but the grip does not have any kind of finger choil to prevent your hand from sliding onto the blade if you were to "stab" something. If the handle shape is to your liking, you should be able to get one for around $80. It has a 3" blade.

If you did not require assisted opening, I would recommend a Kershaw Storm... very grippy and a great value (around $30 or so).

The Camillus Sizzle is a good assisted opener but the blade is only 2.5 inches. If the size is acceptable, you can buy one for around $40.

I don't know how much experience you have with knives but I will tell you that you can learn to snap open a manual knife, with a flick of your wrist, just as fast as any assisted opener. Although I grant that this may be more difficult under stress.

Nick

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Re Kershaws - I got a Scallion - because I wanted to lighten my pocket load and only needed something around 2 1/2: blade for most times.

This has no spring assist like my Benchmade but it's light and has the small protruberance at back of blade so as to allow a very fast and easy open. Can be made quite fast with some practice. Does not hold edge quite as well as some but - for size worth a look.

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
Just a suggestion that if you do find a knife that you really like & the blade length is say....3 & 3/8 ~ If you're good with your hands & have some basic shop equipment...you could easily shorten & re-profile the blade to bring it to legal carry length.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you thought about the Spyderco Delica wave? It's not spring assisted but it's much faster (it's opened when it is out of your pocket), it's 3" and under $50. I owned the Endura version (have since moved on to Emersons) and was amazed at how fast it opens out of the pocket.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'll second the recomendation for the Spyderco Delica. I've carried waved Spydercos for a couple of years now (a Delica and 2 Enduras) and have been very pleased with them. I've owned many folders from a variety of manufacturers, including some that were assissted-opening. However, after trying the wave, I highly doubt that I'll ever go back.

question: are you allowed to carry a fixed blade or are you limited to folders only? If fixed blades are legal for you, that's definately the way to go.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
here's another vote for the delica. also, if you're not limited to folders, a really good fixed blade under 3" and under $100 is the ryan model plan b from crkt.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank everyone responding for your insight. I believe I've decided on a Kershaw Ken Onion Avalanche with speed safe. The blade length is 3-1/8" long and I'll resharpen to get the 3" lenght required if it bothers me enough. Thanks again.......Bob

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
koolguynet said:
You'll like the Kershaw's! I have two that I won't give up.

I will give you 1,000,000.00 for both of those knives!

:rofl:

Ti.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Despite your limitations, I think you've got a lot of good options. Cold Steel, Spyderco, Kershaw's Ken Onions, to name a few.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I carry my Spyderco "Waved" Endura everywhere.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Some questions -> You can legally carry a assisted opener but are limited to a 3" blade ?

Your gonna use it for a utility knife AND (AND !) a self defense backup weapon ? --------

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Also keep in mind that the blades length can be determined from the handle to the tip and not just the sharpened edge. Many LE can interpret the law either way when deciding if you are overstepping the legal length requirements.

Brownie

·
Banned
17 Posts
My recommendation would be to come as close to the knife you used during training.
If your military/police/martial arts training was with a short folder than a long campfire knife would be a poor choice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a kershaw leek and the blade is only 3 inches. it seems to be a great knife i had a smaller kershaw knife with assisted opening but i wanted one with a bigger blade.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts